Grasshopper Film

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Oedipax

Re: Grasshopper Film

#26 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:39 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Moses and Aaron on November 28, DVD and Blu-ray.

There are no specs on the website yet, but Grasshopper's Facebook confirms that the release will include short films.
Fantastic - I hope that means all the S/H titles will get BD releases (contingent upon sales, I'm sure, but still - off to a good start)...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#27 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:35 pm

Moses und Aron is about as safe a place they could start given the crossover potential with the classical music/opera crowd. This was also probably why New Yorker put it out on DVD (in fact I think it was their last release)—their other Huillet/Straub DVD was The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach, no doubt for similar reasons. Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg's "Accompaniment to a Cinematographic Scene" is a no-brainer extra, but I can't think of any other obvious shorts to include unless they're counting the hour-long Von heute auf morgen as a "short." Not that I'd be upset if they used this as a chance to put out some completely unrelated shorts too.

What A Disgrace

#28 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Is it just me, or is Grasshopper Films completely stealing Cinema Guild's thunder? And by completely, I mean just that - Cinema Guild hasn't released a disc since last November, while Grasshopper has five released and four on the way - and they all certainly feel like things Cinema Guild would release.

whaleallright

#29 Post by whaleallright » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 am

Grasshopper was founded by one of the (formerly) key players at Cinema Guild, so that would make sense....

GrasshopperFilm

#30 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 pm

MOSES AND AARON Blu-ray & DVD will include restored editions of these Straub-Huillet films:

Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg’s “Accompaninment to a Cinematographic Scene” (1972, 15 minutes)
Machorka-Muff (1962, 18 minutes)
Not Reconciled (1964, 55 minutes)

More info here: http://grasshopperfilm.com/film/moses-and-aaron/

GrasshopperFilm

#31 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am

In addition our BD/DVD releases, we're making films available exclusively for VOD rental and purchase through our blog/platform Transmissions. Our most recent releases are:

FROM WHAT IS BEFORE / Lav Diaz
http://grasshopperfilm.com/transmission ... tisbefore/

SARAH WINCHESTER, GHOST OPERA / Bertrand Bonello
http://grasshopperfilm.com/transmissions-bonello/

INFLUENZA / Bong Joon-ho
http://grasshopperfilm.com/transmissions-joonho/

You can see more at: http://grasshopperfilm.com/transmissions/

senseabove

#32 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Does Grasshoper have BD/DVD release of Nocturama planned? I've seen reports that Netflix got streaming rights, but since it looks like Grasshopper has theatrical rights... where did disc rights end up?

GrasshopperFilm

#33 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:27 pm

senseabove wrote:Does Grasshoper have BD/DVD release of Nocturama planned? I've seen reports that Netflix got streaming rights, but since it looks like Grasshopper has theatrical rights... where did disc rights end up?
We do have BD/DVD rights. Will be announcing more info on this in coming days.

senseabove

#34 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 pm

GrasshopperFilm wrote:
senseabove wrote:Does Grasshoper have BD/DVD release of Nocturama planned? I've seen reports that Netflix got streaming rights, but since it looks like Grasshopper has theatrical rights... where did disc rights end up?
We do have BD/DVD rights. Will be announcing more info on this in coming days.
Awesome! Crossing my fingers it's not just a DVD release!

charal

#35 Post by charal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Does anyone know if the upcoming Moses blu will be region free? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

GrasshopperFilm

#36 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

charal wrote:Does anyone know if the upcoming Moses blu will be region free? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
Yes, MOSES AND AARON will be region free, like all our blu's.

Oedipax

#37 Post by Oedipax » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:28 pm

It would be lovely if Sarah Winchester, opéra fantôme was included as an extra on Nocturama!

All the Best People

#38 Post by All the Best People » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 am

I was fortunate to see both Nocturama and "Sarah Winchester, Ghost Opera" on the big screen last night. Nocturama is dazzling as filmmaking, though it's taking some time for the film made to really sit with me. You've no doubt read that there is very little in the way of the why the young terrorists do what they do, but I think this deliberate elision goes to illustrate the vacuousness of the terrorist/violence-as-advocacy mindset. The overall feeling is one of waste.

"Winchester" was fascinating; I was completely ignorant of its subject and form going in, and found it suitably beautiful and haunting.

I'd been eager to see each of L'Apollonide/House of Tolerance/House of Pleasures and Saint Laurent, but there theatrical releases were slight that I never got to them, but now I'm even more eager to check them out.

bakofalltrades

#39 Post by bakofalltrades » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 am

Oedipax wrote:It would be lovely if Sarah Winchester, opéra fantôme was included as an extra on Nocturama!
Seconded! (Otherwise I'm not sure where or how I'll get to see it.)

Nocturama was stunning. One of those films where I can't argue with its detractors, but all the same, it completely worked for me. His style and tone is mesmerizing to me, and the film dazzled and upset me in equal measure. I'd love to get it on blu-ray.

Oedipax

#40 Post by Oedipax » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 am

All the Best People wrote:I'd been eager to see each of L'Apollonide/House of Tolerance/House of Pleasures and Saint Laurent, but there theatrical releases were slight that I never got to them, but now I'm even more eager to check them out.
L'Apollonide is in dire need of a solid blu-ray release, one of the great films of this decade. The current DVD is okay but some of the daytime exteriors suffer from compression artifacts.
bakofalltrades wrote:Seconded! (Otherwise I'm not sure where or how I'll get to see it.)
You can rent it from Grasshopper for a couple bucks here.

bakofalltrades

#41 Post by bakofalltrades » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am

Oedipax wrote:L'Apollonide is in dire need of a solid blu-ray release, one of the great films of this decade. The current DVD is okay but some of the daytime exteriors suffer from compression artifacts.
Agree 100%. Was really hoping Criterion would pick it up, and was really disappointed to see it get a DVD-only release from IFC.
Oedipax wrote:You can rent it from Grasshopper for a couple bucks here.
Perfect! I completely missed the Rent button over the video image.

GrasshopperFilm

#42 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Bertrand Bonello's NOCTURAMA is coming to Blu-ray & DVD.

Special features include:
Two Short Films by Bertrand Bonello
Sarah Winchester: Ghost Opera (2016, 24 min.)
Cindy: The Doll is Mine, starring Asia Argento (2005, 15 min.)
Interview with Bertrand Bonello (20 minutes)
Theatrical trailer
Plus, booklet featuring an essay by Dennis Lim

It will be available as part of our Cyber Sale, beginning Friday at 12:00 a.m., for 40% off (along with all our other blu-rays and DVDs)
http://grasshopperfilm.com/film/nocturama/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boosmahn

#43 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:48 pm

GrasshopperFilm wrote:Bertrand Bonello's NOCTURAMA is coming to Blu-ray & DVD.

It will be available as part of our Cyber Sale, beginning Friday at 12:00 a.m., for 40% off (along with all our other blu-rays and DVDs)
http://grasshopperfilm.com/film/nocturama/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice! Just a quick question, though: is this 40% off of the MSRP or the regular sale price? Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on those releases...

GrasshopperFilm

#44 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
GrasshopperFilm wrote:Bertrand Bonello's NOCTURAMA is coming to Blu-ray & DVD.

Nice! Just a quick question, though: is this 40% off of the MSRP or the regular sale price? Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on those releases...
It'll be 40% off the MSRP. We'll also be doing give-aways via our twitter and Facebook accounts (including books and Straub-Huillet posters).

What A Disgrace

#45 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Will there be any more new releases announced in time for this sale?

GrasshopperFilm

#46 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Will there be any more new releases announced in time for this sale?
Not before the sale. NOCTURAMA is the last one.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#47 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Will pre-orders of Nocturama hold up the rest of one's order?

GrasshopperFilm

#48 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Will pre-orders of Nocturama hold up the rest of one's order?
Not at all. We'll ship out all the other titles first. Then NOCTURAMA as soon as the blu-rays and DVDs are ready.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 pm

When does this sale end? The website says "10.27 @ MIDNIGHT" which can't be right.

GrasshopperFilm

#50 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:38 pm

swo17 wrote:When does this sale end? The website says "10.27 @ MIDNIGHT" which can't be right.
Ah yes, should be 11.27 at midnight. Thanks!