Synapse: Dario Argento Limited Editions

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Morbii

Re: Synapse: Dario Argento Limited Editions

#76 Post by Morbii » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 am

domino harvey wrote:I understand the logic of Finch linking to an alternative to a $50 release (and more than that for non-US customers), but after all the work Synapse has done on this title, I can't imagine not going for the premium version if you want to own the film
I, for one, am ecstatic. I'd have shelled out $100. What they did for Tenebre was amazing - I can't wait to see what they do here.

EddieLarkin

#77 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:52 am

nitin wrote:Even a Synapse affiliate said on the BR forums that the TLE restoration uses as a foundation the same 4k scan that Synapse 'commissionerd'.
Synapse posted comparison images of their restoration against the one being released everywhere else. Detail levels are similar so it's not hard to believe they're both from 4K OCN scans. They are available here and are clickable for full rez. Obviously the major difference is the colour grading; the Synapse was overseen shot by shot by Luciano Tovoli, whilst I suspect the alternative restoration's grading was undertaken entirely by TLE and then submitted to Argento for a sign off. Synapse are also using the original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix, which they are making a huge deal about, and this won't be featured on the alternative restoration. Lastly, David Mackenzie is authoring the Synapse discs so there's going to be no worries there.

Personally I think it's an absolute no brainer, even if it means waiting for the inevitable standard edition from Synapse (though I'll be going with the £60 option myself).

MichaelB

#78 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 am

I think there's very little question that Synapse wins very substantially on points here. And I'm more than happy to pay through the nose in this one instance because I know just how much work has gone into this restoration - and the last Synapse disc I bought, Thundercrack!, was a similarly exhaustive, labour-of-love effort.

JamesF

#79 Post by JamesF » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:35 pm

From what I gather, the 4K OCN scan is the same, but Synapse have done substantially more work on restoration and the colour timing. Also, the TLEFilms version Finch posted a review of on the previous page is a previous release by them that used the old over-contrasted master but attempted to "fix" some of its many issues.

Luke M

#80 Post by Luke M » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 pm

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#81 Post by FigrinDan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Luke M wrote:I went ahead and pre-ordered it. FWIW, Synapse said they have no plans to release another version.
To be fair, though, the question was, "Will a non steel book version of suspiria be released this year?"

Luke M

#82 Post by Luke M » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:55 pm

FigrinDan wrote:
Luke M wrote:I went ahead and pre-ordered it. FWIW, Synapse said they have no plans to release another version.
To be fair, though, the question was, "Will a non steel book version of suspiria be released this year?"
Yeah, I think they were earnest in their reply but doesn’t mean they won’t change their mind down the road.

Feego

#83 Post by Feego » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Going back to this post on the first page of this thread, it seems Synapse originally said there would be no standard version of Tenebre, but then they released one anyway. I'd say proceed at your own risk. For what it's worth, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the limited edition. After all the work that Synapse has put into this, which has clearly been a labor of love, I don't feel too bad about the price, plus I'm just irresponsible with my money.

Finch

#84 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 am

I get that Synapse want people to splash out for the more expensive steelbook. Then again though, it'd be weird for them to spend this much money and time on restoring Suspiria and only limit themselves to 6000 units. I'm genuinely torn: on the one hand, comparison shots of the Italian disc and the US one make clear that there is no contest in terms of the colours, and according to Synapse, the audio will be better, too but it's still approx £70 for a single film plus shipping, and that's before you figure in potential custom charges if you're unlucky enough to have your order stopped by Customs. I think I'll take the risk and keep my fingers crossed that they issue a standard keepcase edition with fewer extras next year.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#85 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:20 am

I don't see any second Synpase willingly limiting the customer base of what seems to be a very expensive and long restoration.

MichaelB

#86 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 am

tenia wrote:I don't see any second Synpase willingly limiting the customer base of what seems to be a very expensive and long restoration.
No, I'm sure there'll be a cheaper edition at some point, but I don't remotely begrudge them charging a premium price for early adopters. This edition was so obviously colossally expensive to put together that I really don't have a problem with the price tag - I hesitated more when ordering the Japanese Yuri Norstein disc (although I have no regrets there either: it's one of the jewels of my collection).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#87 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 am

Is the only outlet for this the Synapse site that doesn't ship outside US/ Canada?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

Diabolik is also selling it

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#89 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:48 am

domino harvey wrote:Diabolik is also selling it
Thanks for the info but with int shipping it's coming out at $75. Isn't Arrow doing this eventually?

MichaelB

#90 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Thanks for the info but with int shipping it's coming out at $75. Isn't Arrow doing this eventually?
No: they don't have the UK rights. Cult Films (Nouveaux as was) is rumoured to be bringing it out in the UK... but also rumoured to be sourcing their version from the Italian/German restoration.

As far as I'm aware, if you want the Synapse restoration, you only have one option. (Or two, if you're convinced that they'll be bringing out a cheaper edition.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 am

Worth remembering that when Synapse released the Demons films outside of their limited edition steelbooks, they removed all the bonus features

ianthemovie

#92 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 am

I just looked up the release dates for Synapse's last few steelbook vs. standard edition Blu-rays;

Demons / Demons 2 steelbooks: November 19, 2013
Demons / Demons 2 standard edition Blu-rays: November 11, 2014

Tenebrae steelbook: February 23, 2016
Tenebrae standard edition Blu-ray: September 13, 2016

Phenomena steelbook: November 15, 2016
Phenomena standard edition Blu-ray: September 12, 2017

Suspiria steelbook: December 31, 2017

Based on the pattern I'd expect a regular edition of Suspiria to be released in fourth quarter 2018.

While the special features for the Demons discs differ between the two editions, the only difference between the editions of Tenebrae and Phenomena seems to be the CD soundtrack. If that's any precedent I'd say that all of the other special features for Suspiria will carry over. Fingers crossed because in addition to the cost differential I hate the look of steelbooks and would much rather hold out for regular packaging.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#93 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 am

Finch wrote:Then again though, it'd be weird for them to spend this much money and time on restoring Suspiria and only limit themselves to 6000 units.
Thus ensuring a quick recouping of their costs.

Robespierre

#94 Post by Robespierre » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Went ahead and preordered this for over 80$CAD...big fan of the film but since the release date is temporary, I really hope I don't have to wait until the end of December for this.

big ticket

#95 Post by big ticket » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Caught a screening of the restoration last night and my, oh my, does it look and sound wonderful!

I found myself a bit let down when I first saw it (at home, on the previously released SE DVD), surely due to its towering reputation and my high expectations, but I can honestly say that seeing it last night how it was "truly meant to be seen" was a revelation. Can't wait for the BD.

dwk

#96 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

It is looking like December 19th is going to be the release date for Suspiria.

kcota17

#97 Post by kcota17 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Source?

dwk

#98 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Morbii

#99 Post by Morbii » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 am

They don't seem to have any source, either, though. And the source in that thread mentioned in older posts (Synapse's facebook) still says "TBA".

Ashirg

#100 Post by Ashirg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:43 am

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video ... ease-date/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/261002 ... ease-date/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;