David Lynch

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
dda1996a

Re: David Lynch

#476 Post by dda1996a » Mon May 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Which is why it's so great. I always feel weird ranking it among his greatest films, but it's such a beautiful, humane and touching but not saccharine and melodramatic film. That bar conversation with the other veteran always makes me cry.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#477 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Werewolf by Night

#478 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm reading Martin Aston's Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD right now and apparently Lynch wanted Cocteau Twins to appear in a prom scene in Blue Velvet as the prom band and perform Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren." They agreed to do it, but Buckley's estate wanted $20,000 to license the song and Lynch just couldn't afford it. The entire scene was scrapped. Of course, their version of the song [or, perhaps more accurately, This Mortal Coil's version of the song] later appeared over a scene in Lost Highway. I'm not sure if the price came down or Lynch's music budget went up.

miless

#480 Post by miless » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 pm

The NW Film Center in Portland, Oregon, will be a holding a career retrospective of David Lynch. All of his features (most on 35mm), most of his shorts, and a number of his influences will be screened.

flyonthewall2983

#481 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 am

Has anyone here watched American Chronicles?

John Cope

#482 Post by John Cope » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Has anyone here watched American Chronicles?
I have. I think I still have VHS recordings of them all in my basement. I don't remember much about them but my neglect of them in the years since would seem to suggest that they weren't all that compelling.

Forrest Taft

#483 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 am

Some of the episodes are on Vimeo.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#484 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:25 pm

beamish14

#485 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm happy to finally get some new Angriest Dog in the World merchandise

Big Ben

#486 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Couldn't resist having more weird shirts in my wardrobe so I bought one. Really pleased he decided to do this.

PfR73

#487 Post by PfR73 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pm

The NY Times publishes some excerpts from Lynch's soon-to-be released memoir/biography Room To Dream (which was also the name of a DVD that Avid put out in conjunction with Lynch that features material about the making of Inland Empire).

The section about the frog-moth from Twin Peaks-The Return is a story that Lynch told in the "Quinoa" bonus feature from the Inland Empire DVD. I noticed it last summer when re-watching through Lynch's filmography during the run of Twin Peaks-The Return and had wondered at the time if that was the origin.

Here's the teaser for Michael Jackson's Dangerous. I'd never head of the existence of this before reading the article.

Boosmahn

#490 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 pm

I hope people don't take that out of context.

StevenJ0001

#491 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 pm
I hope people don't take that out of context.
I'm grappling with how the context helps. I've read his whole statement several times in the Guardian piece and I still can't elicit anything very sensible from it. Of course, it's possible The Guardian misquoted him or published an incomplete quote.

flyonthewall2983

#492 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Didn't he make a similar statement two years ago?

Boosmahn

#493 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:06 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 pm
I'm grappling with how the context helps.
From my perspective, Lynch is undecided about Trump and thinks that he "is not doing a good job himself." I'm not sure what the article wants me to get out of that paragraph.

Side note: I like the Only Yesterday avatar. I need to rewatch that film!

Dead or Deader

#494 Post by Dead or Deader » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:12 pm

He's mentioned in the past as being a fan of Ronald Reagan.

The quote on Trump greatness seems reminiscent when Susan Sarandon said Trump winning the election would bring upon de facto revolution. Voters from less-fortunate backgrounds targeted by the administration will see the quote as being another example of a celebrity being out-of touch with the people. Trumpists will use this opportunity to claimed David Lynch as this great patriotic filmmaker for the MAGA crowd.

StevenJ0001

#495 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:06 pm
Side note: I like the Only Yesterday avatar. I need to rewatch that film!
LOL, thank you! I adore the movie! :)

furbicide

#496 Post by furbicide » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:12 pm
He's mentioned in the past as being a fan of Ronald Reagan.

The quote on Trump greatness seems reminiscent when Susan Sarandon said Trump winning the election would bring upon de facto revolution. Voters from less-fortunate backgrounds targeted by the administration will see the quote as being another example of a celebrity being out-of touch with the people. Trumpists will use this opportunity to claimed David Lynch as this great patriotic filmmaker for the MAGA crowd.
I can see the Breitbart headline now: David Lynch DESTROYS liberal Hollywood in Inland Empire...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#497 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 am

He's correct in my opinion, but either quoted or spoke pretty poorly. And I'm sure he will clarify at some point. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but no one with the level of empathy that Lynch has shown time and time again in his filmmaking would actually have any modicum of respect or admiration of a figure like Trump. It just seems absolutely impossible to me, to the degree that I'm not even considering that slant of his words as a potentially accurate one.

But Trump's election has been a tipping point that has exposed most career politicians as inept children and followers, and provided we haven't gotten too close to the burner, it does seem very likely that exposing this (totally accidentally, I remain one hundred percent convinced that Trump is a very stupid man who is not playing any dimension of chess here) is going to have a long term positive change on the country as it has mobilized at least some of those who were previously disinterested in politics and has radicalized enough liberals that the left wing of the country is starting to finally slide in the direction of many of the rest of the first world's more effective governments. It's very early to say whether this is going to eventually pay dividends, but exposing the faceless suits in office for their utter ineptitude to either take advantage of or combat an adult baby being in control of the executive branch is sort of like breaking a crooked limb in order to heal it straight.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#498 Post by Brian C » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 am

My take is far more pessimistic. The Trump administration hasn’t revealed anything about “politicians” - it’s demonstrated that our institutions are not structurally sound.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#499 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:31 am

Even better, in a sense. If this horrendous valley in U.S. history can lead to substantive improvements in voting rights, in the integrity of the composition of the federal government (abolishing wasteful and unconstitutional enforcement like DHS and ICE), and electing officials who actually have the stomach to accomplish much of this, then maybe all is not lost. It's a tall order and an optimistic view of something ultimately terrible, but this seems more and more like it's going to be a tipping point in one direction or another and not just something we can sweep under the rug and pretend never happened.

hearthesilence

#500 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:37 am

The idea of "disruption" for the sake of shaking things up is asinine. It's easy to break an existing institution apart, but far more difficult to construct something that's actually more meaningful and effective. I don't think I'm alone in seeing this play out in a professional context, far from it.