It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Netflix Originals
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:19 pm 
Bringing Out El Duende

Tracy Morgan's latest stand-up was just added today. I never found him that funny in any format before his accident but I'll give this a go. Can't be worse than the Chappelle return.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:23 pm 

The Chappelle specials were pretty great. Don't have time to write more than that now, but would hate to have that become the forum consensus.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 pm 

I thought the two specials were - typically for Chappelle - shaggy, idiosyncratic, and ultimately quite funny.

I was actually at the show in Santa Fe he references in the second special during which that assclown threw a banana peel at him, and given that this was very much in the period where he was notorious for walking off stage at the slightest provocation, it was pretty surprising that he continued the show and talked/riffed about it for almost forty minutes before returning to his prepared material and wrapping up the show. The incident certainly derailed the show, but the fact that he processed it in front of a crowd and still eventually brought things back on track was both generous and uber-professional in a way that was really impressive and memorable.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 am 

I heard the Norm special was hilarious. I really drag my feet on stand-up specials these days. Since Carlin and Robin Williams died, especially.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm 
Dot Com Dom

The Get Down has been cancelled after one season-- is this the first Netflix original series to not at least get a second season order?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 pm 

It was kind of two seasons (one order split in half), though it's still very refreshing to see this happen.

I feel like it's an underappreciatedly crazy fact that WB took a big risk and gave Baz Luhrmann $150 million to make a blockbuster 3D version of a work of classic "adult" literary fiction and it made a ton of money and his reward was... a TV show on Netflix.

(One that cost $120 million, mind, but still not very encouraging).

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:19 pm 

Not surprised, Buhrmann predictably drove up the cost exponentially, even long after principal photography was finished, with his haphazard throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks "filmmaking." No one should ever give that guy money - you can literally eat it and still wind up with more or less the same result.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 pm 

And a good case of ink poisoning.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 pm 

So marginally less painful than watching his version of Gatsby again.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm 

Jeez, thanks for the reminder....Gatsby was absolutely dreadful and a waste of a pretty decent cast. Pity poor Amitabh Bachchan having to be in that crud.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:05 am 
Dot Com Dom

Girlboss canceled after one season-- guess series getting at least two seasons really is over

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 am 

It just seems like they're not sticking with shows that aren't very good. Girlboss did poorly with critics and didn't seem to have much of a following. I welcome Netflix finally letting the cream rise to the top and cutting shows off that don't work. However, if this whole cancellation thing backfires and the new MST3K doesn't get picked up, I'll take all that back.

P.S. GLOW is a shabby but often amusing series, but does a bit too much playing around with an really unusual concept. Marc Maron's a standout, essentially playing a much angrier Ted V. Mikels type. It's not going to be getting any notices as the best show on television, but there's a solid foundation for the future there if it gets picked up (and being from some of the creative team behind Orange is the New Black likely gives it a leg up in that department)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:17 am 
Dot Com Dom

I liked the premise for Girlboss but the trailer wasn't funny at all and you have to figure they'd put at least some of their best material in that, so I never bothered. I didn't even realize that was the girl from Tomorrowland / the Last Ride til reading the Variety article

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 am 

The fact that the real company the show was based on is awful certainly couldn't have helped

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 am 

Trailer for American Vandal, a parody of Making A Murderer and its ilk. Somehow this thing is scheduled to run for 8 episodes when it looks like the joke runs its course halfway through the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm 

David Letterman returns to TV with Netflix deal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 am 
Dot Com Dom

Gypsy with Naomi Watts has been canceled after one season-- I haven't watched it yet, but apparently it ended on a cliffhanger, so whoops there, creators

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 am 

Talk about original

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm 

Teaser trailer for Wormwood, a drama series (though one scene looks like documentary) from Errol Morris about the shady history of the CIA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Damien Chazelle will executive produce and direct the first two episodes of the Eddy, a musical series set in Paris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 pm 

Cameron Swift wrote:
Teaser trailer for Wormwood, a drama series (though one scene looks like documentary) from Errol Morris about the shady history of the CIA.
It is about evenly split between dramatic recreations and a more traditional documentary style, and it is pretty incredible.

Morris takes the ominous sense of dread and foreboding that he's long been able to conjure with expert overlaying of imagery, sound, and voiceover, and cranks it up until the dial falls off. Infused with psychedelia and paranoia, he investigates the opppressive crush of a single tragedy on a son and his family, and parallels it with the slow-motion, only half-realized moral tragedy the country as a whole has been undergoing for the past 70 years.

Wormwood feels like a culmination and extension of Morris' stylistic concerns, with multitudes of split screens, repetitions, and reexaminations, all in service of a quixotic attempt to reach truths that are both unknowable and tantalizingly close. The recreations are what really separates this from his prior work, and the cinematography and imagery in these sections were stunning, second only to the amazing soundtrack as the standout technical elements of the film.

I was apprehensive about spending the first 5+ hours of Telluride on something that will be probably the most widely available of all the offerings here in a few weeks, but watching it with its creator and subject, all in one sitting, was a unique and powerful experience.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 am 

Trailer for Long Shot, a short doc premiering at Telluride.

I'm definitely biased as I'm friends with the creators of this one, but I'm unbelievably proud of them and elated that this is finally being released after 5+ years of arduous work on their part. And good on Netflix for giving an avenue for shorter films like this to be widely seen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 am 

I'm surprised HBO didn't get on this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm 

Marvel's The Punisher. Maybe one of the best trailers I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 pm 

I started rewatching Lady Dynamite and from the very first scene the first episode has been heavily cut and edited. I don't know if they did it to the whole series, but now I don't even feel like watching it to find out. The series is not available on physical media, which makes it worse.

Is this the first case, or has Netflix done this to other series as well?