It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 pm 

Here's something new for me: my multi-region blu-ray player (an LG BP220) won't play a region A disc from Discotek Media. I've switched regions back and worth while trying different discs but no luck. Any suggestions for a fix?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:29 pm 

Try a different (newer) player and see if the disc plays on that one.

(Which disc is it? How old is the disc? How old is the player? Any firmware updates you skipped?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 pm 

I may have to track down the firmware update then. This disc itself is new from last year so it should be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 pm 

I have two of the Kino Robbe-Grillet discs and neither are playing. I double checked and the firmware is up to date and it is playing the other bluray (Criterion's Rivette disc) I played just fine. Is there anything else I should check into or what not?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 am 

Anyone had problems with Denon receivers, in this case an AVR-X2200, having a single channel fail? Used mine to watch a fair bit yesterday, and then went to use it again in the evening and noticed the Front Left speaker was not outputting. Confirmed the fault is not with the speaker itself, or the cable, and it is the receiver outputting a very weak, crackly sound. Factory reset has done nothing. Looks like I'm sending it in on warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am 

I have experienced this same issue with my Denon (AVR-1312, probably out of warranty). It’s been inconsistent and has been working fine lately. I haven’t taken the time to swap out speakers and cables to test it more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 pm 

I replaced my (12 years) old Denon receiver a few months ago. One of its channels failed (front left coincidentally), but only with certain settings (unfortunately the most important ones), and even with some other settings and some adjustments sometimes you could still get that channel to work, but even then it was still out of whack. Chalked it up to some sort of cpu or other circuitry failure (just a guess), fairly sure the amps all still otherwise worked.

And also chalked it up to it was time to move on. Swapped that 97 lb tank with its 39 lb replacement (another Denon) which in comparison seems like a toy, can't imagine it will last as long, but it seems to be doing well for now. Got rid of a few workarounds that accommodated newer technologies, kept a couple others that still make things work better. And also got to put a shelf back in my a/v rack (put my old hd-dvd player on it, which also necessitated adding another workaround to get output from its old (apparently now otherwise obsolete) hdmi version).

Anyway, as input to what also might cause a receiver to fail, make sure it's kept in a well ventilated area so it doesn't overheat, or at least add a fan into the mix to purge any excess heat if it's not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm 

I have posted this before but maybe it seemed too noobish, anyway I'll try again.

All my life I've been a region a locked viewer. When I finally switched to blu ray, I justified not getting a region free player because I wanted to use the money to buy more blu rays. Perhaps this wasn't as cost efficient as I thought. Anyway, a year ago I bought a sony 4k player for a very reasonable price. But now, especially due to the release of the Melville box, I think I will finally go region free. Is there a way to simply convert my current player? Do I have to buy a new one? Should I just shell it out and get a region free 4k, any worthwhile suggestions? Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 pm 

I've had the 55 inch LG C7P for a little over a week by this point and, so far, I've only experienced one case of video game related image retention. It was late in the evening after I'd been using the television for most of the afternoon. I only mention this because I don't know for certain if duration of operation in a single day can have any impact on potential for image retention.

I started a new game of Arkane's Prey and, during the opening sequence in Morgan's apartment, I took the time to read most of the notes placed around the environment. When reading a note, it appears in a large darkly colored box while the rest of the image goes out of focus. While I only spent a little time reading each note, the cumulative effect of displaying the same text box in the same position left a retained shadow on the screen. While it was gone by the time I turned the television on again the following day, I'm concerned that it developed so quickly.

These are currently my general picture settings for game mode:

OLED light - 35
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Color Temperature - w25
Gamma - High1
Black Level - High

Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 pm 

John Shade wrote:
Is there a way to simply convert my current player? Do I have to buy a new one? Should I just shell it out and get a region free 4k, any worthwhile suggestions? Thanks...

It's probably not worth the time/cost/trouble of attempting to get your existing player modded. My standard recommendation is the Seiki SR4KP1 which has excellent upscaling to 4K, handles PAL-NTSC conversions, as well as 1080i50 to 1080i60.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 pm 

Why isn't every Blu-ray or DVD region-free?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 am 
Cri me a Tearion

flyonthewall2983 wrote:

Greed.
"Protecting copyrights and royalties".
"Maximizing profit".
An unintended beneficial consequence of this for cinephiles, however, is the development of regional niche labels that complement the cornerstone Criterion region 1/A label. Madman in Australia, Eureka/MOC and Arrow and BFI and now Powerhouse/Indicator in the UK, StudioCanal and WildSide and Pathe and TFI and Carlota in France, Koch Media in Germany, etc. ... all provide us with the opportunity to own multiple copies of the same movie, with different special features and potentially different visual and audio quality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 am 

Godot wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:

An unintended beneficial consequence of this for cinephiles, however, is the development of regional niche labels that complement the cornerstone Criterion region 1/A label. Madman in Australia, Eureka/MOC and Arrow and BFI and now Powerhouse/Indicator in the UK, StudioCanal and WildSide and Pathe and TFI and Carlotta in France, Koch Media in Germany, etc. ... all provide us with the opportunity to own multiple copies of the same movie, with different special features and potentially different visual and audio quality.

But also, possibly, contractually forced subtitles preventing foreign markets to have access to new materials (being technically or editorially).

But otherwise yes, the whole market works on a regional split of rightholdings, meaning each country basically works on its own, and since people don't want outsiders to step on their lands, contractual region-locking or forced subtitles allow the end-result (the release) to also be regionalised this way.

That's why studio movies often aren't concerned by this, since the studio will own the movie worldwide and thus not care if you're a French guy buying the UK release : because it will all go to the studio anyway.
However, if I buy, say, Charley Varrick from Indicator instead of from Wild Side, my French money doesn't go where it's supposed to. But in the other way, the French release has forced French subs to ensure the foreigners are sticking with their own regional releases.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am 

Godot wrote:
Madman in Australia
While I agree with the sentiment, Godot, Madman are hardly a niche label in Australia (Australasia, really); they're likely one of the biggest independent film & TV distributors in the country (covering both theatrical & home video) and have been around since 1996.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 pm 
Cri me a Tearion

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Godot wrote:
Madman in Australia
While I agree with the sentiment, Godot, Madman are hardly a niche label in Australia (Australasia, really); they're likely one of the biggest independent film & TV distributors in the country (covering both theatrical & home video) and have been around since 1996.

I was showing my ignorance there, thanks for the correction, Adam!
I should have clarified, their "Directors Suite" line has been a boon to me for great extra features (primarily Adrian Martin and other scholarly commentary tracks). These often supplemented special editions from other regions and labels. But my (perhaps shaky) original premise was that we may not have seen such flourishing of local editions (featuring local talent like Martin) if there were a world-wide distribution of prime versions. Having multiple region coding of discs (and (1) the equipment to bypass them, as well as (2) the means to procure these discs with little risk from around the ever-shrinking globe) has broadened my film appreciation (and put a serious dent in my home cinema budget). It's also amazing to me when a film is unavailable in the US (or in bargain-bin versions, or without subtitles) and I can get it from overseas (on blu-ray, or with extra features that show care for the product so sadly neglected by Hollywood, and subtitles).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm 

Oh, I figured as much, I was just being a pointless pedant.
It's a shame the Director's Suite line isn't around anymore. Another local indie, Accent, started off as a label like the one's you described (for a time seemingly having the world's best release of WKW's Fallen Angels), but they've mostly devolved into releasing low budget independent films.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66