Cinema Paradiso

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

David M.

Re: Cinema Paradiso

#51 Post by David M. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm

knives wrote:Get stuffed is actually used in (most of) the US so you could have retained that.
Really? I've never heard it here in New York, or in any American movie I've ever seen. Interesting to hear.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#52 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I think more of "Get bent" though maybe only from The Simpsons.

knives

#53 Post by knives » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:47 pm

David M. wrote:
knives wrote:Get stuffed is actually used in (most of) the US so you could have retained that.
Really? I've never heard it here in New York, or in any American movie I've ever seen. Interesting to hear.
It's somewhat popular in San Diego and people have understood it when I've used it in Boston. There's obviously more popular insults, but it doesn't run into the rubber situation.

Ishmael

#54 Post by Ishmael » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

knives wrote:
David M. wrote:
It's somewhat popular in San Diego and people have understood it when I've used it in Boston. There's obviously more popular insults, but it doesn't run into the rubber situation.
Hmmm. In 48 years of living in America (i.e., my whole life), I've never once heard an American say "get stuffed," in real life or in movies. I'm not disputing that you have heard this, but this registers as a very British expression to me (and I have heard Americans say Britishisms like "bloody," but they're doing so self-consciously). So my opinion is that David M. made the right choice with the subs.

Zot!

#55 Post by Zot! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Perhaps being confused with the American "Stuff It", but that means Shut Up, and is pretty old fashioned. Agreed that "Get Stuffed" sounds very English.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 am

Pretty sure the only time I've heard "Get stuffed" is in the subtitles to Breathless. "Get fucked," however, is timeless

Calvin

#57 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:47 am

4K UHD and Blu-Ray upgrade coming in September
A CELEBRATION OF YOUTH, FRIENDSHIP, AND THE EVERLASTING MAGIC OF THE MOVIES

A winner of awards across the world including Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, 5 BAFTA Awards including Best Actor, Original Screenplay and Score, the Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival and many more.

Giuseppe Tornatore s loving homage to the cinema tells the story of Salvatore, a successful film director, returning home for the funeral of Alfredo, his old friend who was the projectionist at the local cinema throughout his childhood. Soon memories of his first love affair with the beautiful Elena and all the highs and lows that shaped his life come flooding back, as Salvatore reconnects with the community he left 30 years earlier.

The original award-winning theatrical version of Tornatore s classic is presented here for the first time on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray. This edition also includes the expanded Director s Cut, which delves deeper into Salvatore s backstory [Blu-ray].

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of the 124 minute theatrical version
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the 174 minute Director s Cut
Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound options
Optional English subtitles
Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
A Dream of Sicily A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
The Kissing Sequence Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
Original Director s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer
Last edited by Calvin on Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#58 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:21 am

Seems extremely disappointing not to have the extended cut available in 4k - it’s basically a different movie! Was it not done again with the latest restoration?

Calvin

#59 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:40 am

TMDaines

#60 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:14 am

So this is being released on normal Blu-ray too. Is this an upgrade, in which case it will be Arrow’s third different improved release of the film on Blu-ray?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#61 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 am

I'm wondering that too. The previous 25th anniversary release was sourced from a then-new 2K restoration ("The original 35mm negative was scanned in 2K resolution on a pin registered Arriscan at Technicolor Rome, with all grading and restoration work completed at Deluxe Digital Cinema - EMEA London.").
By the look of the trailer and since this will be released in UHD Dolby Vision, this looks like a new 4K restoration, seemingly graded by Ritrovata.
It's however surprising Arrow's specs for the new release doesn't mention this at all, unlike Pitch Black, especially as a purchase incentive to set it apart from the older release.

Ribs

#62 Post by Ribs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:53 am

I don’t imagine anyone really had complaints about the previous release for Cinema Paradiso whereas Pitch Black’s previous release was a very dated master that people very obviously would want to be sure they’re not drawing on.

Apparently the elements for the extended version are no longer in the negative or something like that which made it unfeasible for the 4K restoration - While undoubtedly one of Academy’s all-time best-selling titles it really makes this set feel like a bit of a missed opportunity for the film to really have its ultimate home video release (in the finality sense, anyway). It also grows an upsetting trend of extended cuts not being released on 4K (the superior Star is Born Encore Edition and Doctor Sleep Director’s Cut were released on Blu-ray, and 4K online). I’m sure it won’t happen but I would love Arrow to figure out some way to accomodate the other cut because I dearly love the film and really think this release in principle is one that’s important to support but I really have no interest in revisiting the theatrical version again.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#63 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 pm

It's logical indeed to advertise Pitch Black's new restoration considering how the older master was faring, but I find it logical too to set apart a re-re-release from its previous incarnation to show it's not a simple repacking. As it stands today, I'd understand people wondering how the upcoming release differs exactly from the 25th anniversary one :

New BD specs :
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of two versions of the film: the 124 minute theatrical version and the 174 minute Director’s Cut
Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound options
Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
A Dream of Sicily – A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise – A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
The Kissing Sequence – Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
Original Director’s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer
2013 specs :
2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
Newly restored from the original camera negative and presented in two versions – the 124 minute Cannes Festival theatrical version and the 174 minute Director’s Cut
Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
A Dream of Sicily – A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise – A 27-minute documentary on the genesis of Cinema Paradiso, the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews with the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
The Kissing Sequence – Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with full clips identifying each scene
Original Director’s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer

Ribs

#64 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:47 am

Delayed to November for “additional mastering work.” Somewhat hopeful they’ve figured out a way to get the extended bits integrated into the 4k master, but realize that’s maybe a naive hope.

Calvin

#65 Post by Calvin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Maybe they're going to un-Ritrovata the colour timing.

bad future

#66 Post by bad future » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Sorry to veer off discussion of Arrow’s upcoming release in particular, but I’m thinking of revisiting this soon despite hating its syrupy nostalgia the only other time I saw it years ago. Unfortunately I have no idea which version I saw — at the time I wasn’t even aware there was more than one cut — but I’m wondering which I should go for this time. Is the desire to have the extended cut on the UHD release mostly completionism, or does it have positive qualities that the other lacks? (If I knew for sure I’d only seen the short version, it would be an easy choice to watch the extended just to see something I haven’t already hated... but what if I watched the extended before and would have liked it more if there wasn’t so much of it? And doing both sounds not fun..)

So any guidance would be appreciated! I see a lot of consensus online that the short version is much better, but I don’t know if that’s just like, IMDB 250 conventional wisdom? (sidebar not that this means anything but I just checked and it is in fact in the top 50! huh.)

Ribs

#67 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm

The extended version of the movie is very different - in the "theatrical" version, I'd say the movie is 40% young Toto, 40% teen Toto, 20% adult Toto, whereas the theatrical adds a ton of stuff in the adult section about him realizing things in his past weren't as clear-cut as they appeared, making the (still very powerful) ending bittersweet rather than as outwardly "get it he loved him" as it is in the original version, and ends up somewhere in the range of 33-33-33 across the three sections, making the section less of an extended frame device and more an actual part of the movie. People like the shorter one because it's simpler and is not saying "well, actually, maybe when you look back things weren't all so great..."

I actually think it's amusing that the message of "things didn't happen the way you thought they did" is true to the movie itself in that the "revelations" the extended cut brings to light didn't come apparent to the audience until its release, the movie's release itself kind of repeating the same message.

bad future

#68 Post by bad future » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm

Ah, great! Thank you! My memory, though hazy, is like less than 10% adult scenes, so even if not totally accurate I’ll assume that means I saw the short version. And the way you describe the extended cut sounds like something I’d have a much better chance of enjoying (and thus get live out the meta aspect.) Maybe I should have been skeptical that all the references I could find comparing them said nothing about how the cuts affect the themes or tone, and mostly seemed to draw qualitative conclusions from the arc of its financial success: bombed initially and won the Best Foreign Oscar in its abridged version, as if either of those things have ever been reliable indicators. “Weinstein was right” is a weird genre of movie blogging to realize used to be a thing...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm

I’ve never seen either version but have always heard that this was indeed a rare instance of Scissorhands being right in his changes and that the longer version is weaker

Feego

#70 Post by Feego » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm

There's no denying that the shorter version is the one that became beloved around the world and is the one most people remember with great fondness, but I'm not entirely sure the longer version is weaker. I saw the short version many years ago and fell in love with it myself, only to kind of cringe at it as time went by for those very syrupy qualities that bad future mentions. The majority of scenes that were cut are from the later part of the film with adult Toto, so watching the longer cut years later is a bit like watching a sequel. As ribs points out, these cut scenes do bring some darkness and complexity to the earlier, feel-good events. I don't think either version is a masterpiece, they're both a bit messy in structure, but the longer cut is the more emotionally interesting version.

artfilmfan

#71 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:28 pm

I am probably among the minority here. Just like most people, I saw the shorter version first. Partly due to the Morricone score, I loved the film. When I saw the longer version a few years later, when I got to the end, I felt that it did not have the same emotional impact as the shorter version. If I were to do it over, I would still want to watch the shorter version first.

therewillbeblus

#72 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:35 pm

For me the narrative is all in service to the climax, which feels earned enough in the short version with the information we’ve received. If you haven’t seen it, you probably already know about it, but if not I think this is a rare occurrence where it’s entirely worth sitting through two mediocre hours to experience it. I clearly don’t love the film, so I wouldn’t be compelled to see a longer version with the ending already being so impactful anyways.

bad future

#73 Post by bad future » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm

My first reaction was already so negative that I’m actually willing to spend 3 hours for the chance of a slightly different experience. Just not 5 hours to be able to say for sure if I made the right choice. Not trying to force myself to enjoy it, I’m just on a big run of 1988 films for no reason and figure it’s been long enough that I owe this another shot... and I’m hoping there’s something, anything to it besides the ending, because the ending previously only soured me on it further, just to realize the preceding hours had all been in service of what seemed to amount to a Super Bowl commercial for The Movies (something they might really need to consider if there’s ever another Super Bowl!) But I’ve definitely gotten more sentimental and probably could get emotional over an an actual clip montage from the Oscars telecast these days, so maybe it’ll work on me this time! Just not banking on it singlehandedly redeeming the whole thing.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#74 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 pm

My understanding is that the initial, shorter recut was actually done by Tornatore and the producers before Miramax came on board, in response to the film's poor reception in Italy. This is backed up by contemporary reports that Miramax acquired the film at Cannes '89, which marked the debut of the shorter cut.

yoloswegmaster

#75 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 pm

This release has been delayed again to December 7/8 due to an authoring delay.