It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indicator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am 

I was emailed this newsletter:

Quote:
OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY!
Later this month we celebrate our first anniversary. These first 12 months have been a whirlwind, and we've barely had time to pause and reflect on all that we’ve achieved in our first year. But, as we come to the end of the year and prepare for the next, we wanted to take a breath and thank everybody who has enthusiastically embraced what we have done so far. We take a great deal of pride in our work, and it's been incredibly rewarding to see our editions generate the positive feedback which they have on forums, in reviews, and via emails and social media messages. Your continued support is very much appreciated.

We had hoped to be able to bring you our second volume of Hammer films in December, but our production ambitions have escalated, with work on presenting original UK versions of some of the titles (amongst other things) consuming a great deal of our time. We'd like to do justice to all of the titles we release, so we hope you'll bear with us a little while longer while we perfect a few things on this one. In the meantime, we'd like to draw your attention to the fact that our website now has final specifications for HAMMER VOLUME 1: FEAR WARNING. We hope you'll agree that there's much to get your teeth into there...

In other news, we are absolutely thrilled to announce that our stand-alone release for the month of December will be Jack Clayton’s powerful, groundbreaking THE PUMPKIN EATER, starring Anne Bancroft, Peter Finch and James Mason. Making its world premiere on Blu-ray – complete with new extras and an extensive limited edition booklet – our INDICATOR edition is due for release on 4 December.

As we look further ahead, we hope that you’ll continue to enjoy our releases in 2018. We'll be furthering our mission to release great films in high quality Blu-ray premiere editions, and the new year's slate will include a number of films starring the great Jack Nicholson, a range of box sets each collecting the work of some of America's most iconic and beloved filmmakers, a very special edition of what is perhaps British cinema’s most enduring and chilling horror classic, and much more besides.

We've also now concluded a couple of fresh licensing deals with major studios, and we'll be revealing the first batch of these titles in next month's announcement.

And, as if all of that wasn't enough, we suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a special birthday celebration offer from us later this month...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am 

Oh, thanks.
I also got that email, but didn't read it all.

So, any idea what is "perhaps British cinema’s most enduring and chilling horror classic"?
(I just hope they don't mean "Don't look now")

Also, what film do these photos of actors imply?

By the way, like the Harryhausen boxes, I'd also hope for a couple of George Pal boxes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 am 

Night of the Demon seems like a good guess for British horror.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am 

Drucker wrote:

oh, right, yes, they had mentioned that.
By the way, i found the movie of the photos:
It's Never take sweets from a Stranger.
haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am 

Very pleased that "The Pumpkin Eater" is coming, which I've never seen but always wanted to.
I thought the blurb was funny, as if we might only remember Maggie Smith if we had been daft enough to have gone to see "California Suite".

MichaelB, do you know if they might be bringing "California Split to the UK, as I think I saw that the music rights that marred the otherwise excellent US DVD, have been settled.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 am 

Well, depending on who they licensed from, it could be Village of the Damned (MGM). But we don't know who they licensed from, so it could be anything, and that goes for everything else from here on out.

I am hoping that those boxed sets of films by most iconic and beloved film makers includes Budd Boetticher, but its more likely we'll get Howard Hawks, John Ford, Frank Capra and the like.

Never Take Sweets From a Stranger seems to be regarded by few as the best of the Hammer films, and only "few" because its not widely seen. I believe it'll be part of Hammer Volume 2.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

Costa wrote:
rapta wrote:
Interesting they mention there will be a 'number' of Jack Nicholson titles in the new year. Hopefully that includes The Missouri Breaks, but also one or two Monte Hellman would be nice.

Where did they mention that? At facebook?
I would also like a new scan of The Missouri Breaks, and also The Witches of Eastwick and maybe The Passenger.

I've expressed my doubts elsewhere that they've managed to wrangle The Passenger before Criterion got their hands on it, especially considering Criterion's relationship with Sony (whom would be involved in some capacity). The Witches of Eastwick is with Warner Bros, and as far as I'm aware they do not license to boutique labels - other than Criterion, they've only worked with BFI in the UK before, and only on very select titles (infamously refusing to let them release Russell's The Devils on Blu-ray, let alone uncut).

The Missouri Breaks seems like a likely title for Indicator to go for since they've released a couple of Penn titles already (Mickey One, The Chase), as well as having released films starring Nicholson and Quaid (The Last Detail) and Brando (The Chase). A deal with MGM therefore looks likely, which isn't surprising as other UK labels have been doing just that for years (e.g. Eureka, Arrow, Second Sight, Signal One etc).

What's interesting is that in the newsletter they mention 'a couple of fresh licensing deals with major studios'. That'll most likely include Fox as well then, again similar to how Arrow/Eureka/Signal One have operated in recent years in regards to licenses from either studio. Let the guesswork commence...will be interesting to see which titles they're doing that Arrow/Eureka wouldn't already be gunning for.

PS: I hope they can eventually crack the Paramount library, unless Eureka are confident in doing that themselves, if only to pick up the titles they missed before (especially many of the recent restorations Olive have released in the States, such as Johnny Guitar and High Noon).

Drucker wrote:

Yes, and they had already teased it would get a 'special' release in various comments on social media. I reckon they plan on doing both cuts, and perhaps it will spill onto two separate discs, or have a thicker booklet than usual. Or even better, be coupled with Tourneur's Nightfall (released the same year).

tojoed wrote:
MichaelB, do you know if they might be bringing "California Split to the UK, as I think I saw that the music rights that marred the otherwise excellent US DVD, have been settled.

Similar to The Pumpkin Eaters, amongst many others, this was another Columbia title I had enquired about. I think there are rumblings about Criterion releasing it though, which would make sense considering the number of Altman titles they've been putting out in the last couple of years. Can't wait to see it restored, and hope they also port it to the UK at the same time, as it's one of my favourite Altman titles (from what I've seen so far).

What A Disgrace wrote:
Well, depending on who they licensed from, it could be Village of the Damned (MGM). But we don't know who they licensed from, so it could be anything, and that goes for everything else from here on out.

I am hoping that those boxed sets of films by most iconic and beloved film makers includes Budd Boetticher, but its more likely we'll get Howard Hawks, John Ford, Frank Capra and the like.

Never Take Sweets From a Stranger seems to be regarded by few as the best of the Hammer films, and only "few" because its not widely seen. I believe it'll be part of Hammer Volume 2.

Village of the Damned was already released by Fabulous Films a few years ago, I'm afraid. It's more likely referring to Night of the Demon, a title that has been asked about quite frequently over the past year or so, and which Indicator have already mentioned they have special plans for.

As for the box sets, they've already confirmed to myself and others that they have some Boetticher lined up, and I assume they'd collect those into a box set. They've also confirmed a William Castle set, but no idea about any other singular filmmakers.

Capra is someone I did ask about, but I seem to remember them implying that Sony wouldn't let them have any of those, so perhaps Sony themselves plan on releasing some via other means. They've literally just announced Lost Horizon as an HMV exclusive, so could do the same for You Can't Take it With You, Mr Smith Goes to Washington and Mr Deeds Goes to Town. Indicator have a better chance of getting American Madness or The Bitter Tea of General Yen, but probably not enough to do a box set.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 pm 

Village of the Damned 1960 is owned by Warners, Village of the Damned 1995 is owned by Universal and was licensed to Fabulous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm 

Ribs wrote:
And surely I'm not the only one who really doesn't care about how much better it looks? It looks better - I wouldn't be able to watch the DVD knowing there's a version readily accesible that's got HD resolution that does a good job with probably the same master.

They mentioned that the first non-Columbia titles will be coming in January, fwiw.
I've very quickly stopped thinking in terms of upgrade vs the DVD especially since I've never seen most of the movies I buy ever before getting them on BD. I'm just evaluating PQs intrinsequely and I'm thus not interested in BDs just being at least better than the DVD.
It's BD. It should be at least "good" not just watchable.
In the present case (pre existing HD masters), that'd be the difference between a correct one and a rubbish Universal one, for instance. In some cases, it being in HD doesnt mean it looks good enough for a BD release.
And I'm not even talking about how incorrect the older color timing used to be.

Again, I'm not trying to look too picky, or to minimize some releases. It's just I don't particularly wish to buy average BD, I expect more of them, and now that I know how mediocre some old HD masters used by Indicator can be, I won't be blind-preordering so easily their releases which are based on "High def remaster".

Last edited by tenia on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm 

With Night of the Demon being mentioned, can I just pop into say that I'd love a box set of Tourneur's westerns? I have no idea what the rights situations are, so if anyone can raise or dash my hopes it'd be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm 

rapta wrote:
What's interesting is that in the newsletter they mention 'a couple of fresh licensing deals with major studios'. That'll most likely include Fox as well then, again similar to how Arrow/Eureka/Signal One have operated in recent years in regards to licenses from either studio. Let the guesswork commence...will be interesting to see which titles they're doing that Arrow/Eureka wouldn't already be gunning for.

If Kino could do a deal with Disney, couldn't Indicator too?
I would love such a deal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 pm 

Powerhouse is now down to their last 90 copies of 10 Rillington Place - so if you want the original limited edition, get it now.

After that, Hardcore is likely to be the next title to go OOP.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
Powerhouse is now down to their last 90 copies of 10 Rillington Place - so if you want the original limited edition, get it now.

You just reminded me I ordered that nearly a month ago but it hasn't turned up yet. I better get onto that asap in case I miss out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:25 am 

MichaelB wrote:

Do they mention it somewhere when a title is close to being OOP?
I don't see anything in facebook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm 

Just crossposting the hint MichaelB left in the Shelf thread over in the Criterion subforum:
MichaelB wrote:
Ribs wrote:
So... considering TT is releasing Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, does that mean that the shelf might have included titles Criterion was only circling rather than just being stuff in active development?

Or simply stuff for background research. I'm going to be ploughing through a fair chunk of Jack Nicholson's back catalogue very soon, but Powerhouse only has three actual titles to my knowledge*. Ditto Hammer, as I seriously need to brush up on their psychological thrillers.

(*Don't bother trawling the Sony catalogue for clues; they're not all Columbia releases.)

The Fortune is pretty much exactly up Indicator's wheelhouse, and the guess from that thread of As Good as It Gets (both Sony) seems very feasible as well (though not really Indicator's "type"), but assuming Wolf is included in that count seems fairly unlikely to me. Makes me a tad hopeful one of the deals they have might be for the ABC Pictures titles, just to see if they're able to get a good release of Prizzi's Honor. On the other hand, that's also going off the assumption he's not including The Last Detail!

Last edited by Ribs on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm 

Costa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:

Do they mention it somewhere when a title is close to being OOP?
I don't see anything in facebook.

Michael is a reliable source on this matter, and this message board is as good a place as any to get that information.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm 

As soon as there’s an announcement about stock levels anywhere on social media, I’ll post it here.

And the upcoming Jack Nicholson titles do not include existing/announced ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
As soon as there’s an announcement about stock levels anywhere on social media, I’ll post it here.

And the upcoming Jack Nicholson titles do not include existing/announced ones.

Ok, thanks.
Decided to leave getting the Sinbad now, but I assume we're far from this title being OOP.

Ribs wrote:
Makes me a tad hopeful one of the deals they have might be for the ABC Pictures titles

Oh, I would really hope so too so that I could see Spacecamp from Indicator! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm 

Well, maybe Carnal Knowledge will finally make its blu-ray appearance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am 

Hoping for some Monte Hellman myself!

And since they've done Arthur Penn, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando and Randy Quaid before, The Missouri Breaks also seems pretty likely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am 

rapta wrote:
And since they've done Arthur Penn, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando and Randy Quaid before, The Missouri Breaks also seems pretty likely.

But if it's like the scan Kino got, it doesn't look very good. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:07 am 

MichaelB wrote:

Hardcore before The Big Heat? That's pretty surprising to me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 am 

eerik wrote:

This business is full of surprises, and Hardcore has been a surprise hit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 am 

MichaelB wrote:
eerik wrote:

This business is full of surprises, and Hardcore has been a surprise hit.

I would theorize that Hardcore's cult status was upgraded by that "George C. Scott horrified" meme that went around a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 am 

Yes, that may well be true!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next