It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 pm 

The Searchlight logo made up to look like the 70's Fox one is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm 

domino harvey wrote:

I'm pretty surprised that, at least in the trailer, the film chooses to ignore the [however disputed] theory that Riggs threw the match to settle a mafia debt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
I'm pretty surprised that, at least in the trailer, the film chooses to ignore the [however disputed] theory that Riggs threw the match to settle a mafia debt

This is completely ignored in the film. That doesn't mean it's not true, but it wouldn't match the version of Riggs seen in this film.

This was the fifth film I saw at TIFF, and the one I regretted seeing the most, not because it isn't good (it is), but because I could have just waited a week and seen it for cheaper, and more comfortably. But the film is very good, and surprisingly touching. It's actually about not just the infamous match, but also covers Billie Jean King being instrumental in the creation of the women's tour and King's coming to terms with her sexuality. It also shows the first "Battle of the Sexes" match between Riggs and Margaret Court. The Emma Stone parts are much better that the Steve Carrell sections; Stone really owns this film and if she hadn't won the Oscar last year. she'd probably be more of a shoo-in this year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:18 pm 

I saw this today. It's a beautiful film that is smart enough to figure out the real story is King’s life and relationships and not the match itself. The only places where the film stumbles are the scenes with Steve Carell acting like a buffoon—this is the sort of nonsense that detracts from the sensitively handled story at the core of the film.

The best line in the film comes from Alan Cumming at the end- when the filmmakers wrote it, they thought it would make the audience cry because we would recognize how far we’ve come. In 2017, it makes us cry because we realize how far we have to go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm 

This is a really nicely shot but unfortunately merely passable movie with a lot of dollar-store dialogue and an unnecessarily overprotective soundtrack. The performances are all terrific, the costumes and sets are eyepopping, but I wish they'd taken another couple passes at the script and either trimmed it to a more habitable 90 minutes or given us more meat to make all two hours really worth our time. There might actually be a really good movie under the incessantly nattering score - watch it for Emma Stone and the tennis.