It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

A slower week next week but its still a good one. The Grandmaster is getting its first TV showing on Film4 on Thursday 16th November at 11.35 p.m. - I assume that its going to be the re-edited US release version with apparent added emphasis on the young Bruce Lee at the end (the listings have the running time at two hours and ten minutes - the length of the Hong Kong version - but for the TV screening at least half an hour of adverts need to be factored in which would take the running time closer to the 107 minute US version), so I'll be interested to see how it compares to the 'international' version. But I'd only emphasise that its probably best not to go to this with the mindset that it will be all martial arts spectacle - there is some of that but its much, much more interesting if seen as less an action film than another gorgeously bittersweet tale of yearning, multiplying the doomed romantic notions outward into a wonderfully moving nostalgia for lost opportunities, lost loves, lost roles in life, lost families and communities under political turmoil, all slipping away with the passage of time and in a haze of opium smoke. Plus it really feels like Wong Kar-Wai's tribute to the films of Sergio Leone, especially Once Upon A Time In The West and Once Upon A Time In America.

And Phase IV is being repeated for the first time in a couple of decades on Film4 at 11.40 p.m. on Tuesday 14th November. This is the only film directed by Saul Bass, who was behind some of the most memorable title sequences in cinema, especially those for Hitchcock (though as domino pointed out in the horror list thread it is ironic therefore that Phase IV features very muted titles! Though that aspect does chillingly pay off at the end!). I'm assuming that this is going to be the earlier version that truncates the psychedelic trip ending, as that was the version shown on the previous screenings of the film back in the 1990s, but I'll be curious to see if that's any different too!

While on Saturday 11th November Channel 4 have the premiere of the time travel muddle Terminator: Genisys at 9 p.m. (still worth watching for Schwarzenegger and the small part that J.K. Simmons plays), BBC2 have some canny counterprogramming on at the same time with Effie Gray (the muse of artist John Everett Millais). And BBC1 have the first of a four part new adaptation of Howard's End starting at 9 p.m. on Sunday 12th November.

And the Indian film season continues at 2 a.m. on Wednesday 15th November with the unfortunately titled road trip comedy Finding Fanny.

Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am 

There's a somewhat belated UK TV premiere on Film 4 on Sunday at 6.55pm - Tomorrow When the War Began. It did well in Australia (I saw it in Melbourne on opening night in 2010) and New Zealand, but rather sank elsewhere, so the proposed sequels never happened - the John Marsden novel it's based on is the start of a series of seven, with a follow-up trilogy. They did have another go at the story as a six-part TV miniseries broadcast in Australia in 2016. (Pedantic note: there's no comma in the title of the film, but there is one in the title of the novel.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm 

The Darkest Universe, Mon 20th November, Film4. From the makers of Black Pond and the C4 show Flowers.

Children of the Corn, apparently the 1984 version, Tues 21st November, Horror.

The Great Silence (The Big Silence), Wed 22nd November, Movies4Men. Appears in the morning so probably cut in some way!

Paul Schrader's Cat People is due on Horror at the end of the month while Talking Pictures TV is due to go on bogstandard Freeview on the 30th, so the likes of All The Right Noises, Lunch Hour and Beat Girl might be on rotation on free-to-air telly at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am 

I’ve just noticed that Film Four is having a mini-Budd Boetticher season this week, showing Decision at Sundown and Comanche Station (Monday 14th), The Tall T (Tuesday) and Ride Lonesome (Wednesday).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 pm 

It was the shorter end sequence version of Phase IV shown on Film4 last night, but I still love re-watching that film! This time around I finally noticed that some of the music for the film, specifically the "montage sequences" was made by avant-garde composer Stomu Yamashta, with Phase IV falling right into the middle of his other two big film credits: doing "sound sculptures" in Robert Altman's dreamy 1972 film Images and eventually composing a number of pieces in Nicolas Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth!

His only other major film credit is in Paul Mazurksy's 1982 film Tempest, which I'm quite interested in tracking down now!
___

Not too much next week, though Hirokazu Kore-eda's I Wish is getting repeated at 2 a.m. on Tuesday 21st November.

jlnight wrote:
The Darkest Universe, Mon 20th November, Film4. From the makers of Black Pond and the C4 show Flowers.

Along with The Darkest Universe, BBC2 have another recent British film premiere at 11.10 p.m. on Sunday 19th November, The Lighthouse

Channel 5 have the premiere of Jason Statham crime thriller Wild Card at 9 p.m. on Thursday 23rd November. Which is most intriguing as being based on a William Goldman novel, Heat, previously made back in 1986 starring Burt Reynolds (It also looks to be the first William Goldman screenplay to be filmed since he adapted Stephen King's Dreamcatcher for the screen in 2003!)

And the Indian film season continues with biographical athlete drama Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (or Run, Milkha, Run) at 2.25 a.m. on Friday 24th November.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm 

Ex Machina, Sat 25th November, Channel 4. Boyhood is on the previous night, having already been premiered on Film4 back in March.

Cat People (1982), Sun 26th November, Horror.

Take Me High, Tues 28th November, London Live. A Cliff Richard film that has, according to wiki, been released on VHS but never had a retail DVD release, only being given away with a newspaper!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 pm 

There are quite a few new films next week but aside from the above mentioned Ex Machina there is not too much that seems particularly notable - Wrath of the Titans is showing on ITV2 at 8.05 p.m. on Sunday 26th November and Solace (which is apparently based on a story that was meant to be a sequel to Se7en?!?) is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Monday 27th November. Sasha Baron Cohen's film The Dictator is getting a very low key premiere, tucked away at 1 a.m. in the early hours of Wednesday 29th November. And Bullingdon club-style antics go on in The Riot Club on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 29th November. Channel 5 is also going to town on the Christmas themed TV movie premieres currently (if you've ever wondered what happened to such names as Natasha Henstridge, and Tom Arnold, they've popped up as a teacher leading a choir battles and a modern day Scrooge figure so far!)

I can take or leave all the above but, despite not looking much better, I'm interested in checking out the goofy looking Seventh Son (from Segei Bodrov who is probably still best known for his Tolstoy adaptation Prisoner of the Mountains, though his film Mongol with Tadanobu Asano as the nascent Genghis Khan was also quite good!) is on Channel 5 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 30th November.

Other than that BBC2 has a documentary Joe Orton Laid Bare at 9 p.m. on Saturday 25th November. And Last Men In Aleppo is on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Monday 27th November. The Indian film season continues at 2 a.m. on Tuesday 28th November with stewardess versus terrorist thriller Neerja.

Probably the biggest news of the week though is that apparently that Talking Pictures TV channel is coming to Freeview television from Thursday 30th November. If that is the case, I'll be able to start recommending things from that schedule too! For example Thursday evening's schedule features Look Back In Anger and the Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastrioanni film (that recently got a Criterion release) A Special Day. And Friday 1st December features Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, though I'm most interested in the schedule for that day by Double Confession which features a bizarre cast including Peter Lorre, Naunton Wayne and Mona Washbourne!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 pm 

It appears that Children of the Corn was the 2009 version (already shown) and not the 1984 version after all.

Film4 will be showing a 'Documentary Week' with the following:
20 Feet From Stardom, Mon 4th December.
No Home Movie, late Tues 5th December.
Uncle Howard, late Weds 6th December.
All This Panic, late Thu 7th December.
Precinct Seven Five, late Fri 8th December.
Heart Of A Dog, late Sat 9th December, previously shown.

No Home Movie is the Chantal Akerman film, Uncle Howard is the film about Howard Brookner.

Taxi Tehran, Sun 3rd December, BBC4.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22