It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 am 

Coming August 21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:36 am 

Wish they followed this with a release of "Firefly". This is another of her films with a bunch of festival awards, but for some reason virtually absent from the home cinema market, even on a low quality DVD from some completely unknown label from Japan or one of European countries.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:32 pm 

Pipi wrote:
Wish they followed this with a release of "Firefly". This is another of her films with a bunch of festival awards, but for some reason virtually absent from the home cinema market, even on a low quality DVD from some completely unknown label from Japan or one of European countries.

Rights problems are responsible for the near-invisibility of her Firefly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm 

And do you know if there are any chances that these problems could be solved in (more or less) near future?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 pm 

Pipi wrote:
And do you know if there are any chances that these problems could be solved in (more or less) near future?

Well, no solution in the many years since the film was first made. (Unfortunately, the company, which was owned by her ex-husband, went bankrupt around the time the film was supposed to be released). There have a been a few isolated screenings, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 am 

Finally got around to watching the new Blu-Ray release. It looks pretty lovely (as one would have hoped). My initial mixed response (back in 2007 or so) is now inoperative; my current feeling is highly positive. Noticed a lot more (gentle) humor (during the first 2/3s at least). Now more appreciative of the performances. I think I still prefer Suzaku, Shara and (now) Sweet Bean -- but have added this one to my (immense) list of uniquely treasurable films.