It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 pm 

Arthur House wrote:
headacheboy wrote:
Lowry_Sam wrote:
Fucking Amal DVD is out of print (in the US) & it was on Strand Releasing, so the quality was probably poor. Together is MGM & more readily available, but through 3rd party sellers only looks like & it doesn't look like Lilya 4-ever was ever released on dvd in US. Those are the most likely candidates.

Lilya-4-ever was released on DVD via Netflix. Back in their early days they would issue movies on DVD under their own imprint. I can't recall the name of that imprint but it had Red in the title. You can still get the film from Netflix. I saw it for the first time in 2005. Netflix is often the only way I'd ever be able to see something like that.

Red Envelope Entertainment. It was a subsidiary of Netflix that partnered with and/or picked up films from small distributors, including New Yorker in their waning days, and packaged them for rental distribution, and even in some cases commercial releases including theatrical exhibitions.

Yes, Red Envelope Entertainment! Thanks for knowing that.

Lukas Moodysson's Container has never been released in the US on DVD (imdb says it was out in the UK and Denmark), perhaps that is another possibility, although I can't imagine that would be the first choice, perhaps down the line. It remains his only film I haven't seen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm 
Dot Com Dom

It's not very good, though at least it's not as awful as A Hole in the Heart. Thank God he got over that stage in his work

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm 

2 interesting names..
F.W. Murnau.....will join the Collection. Probably City Girl or Sunrise
Kent Jones...Maybe the Val Lewton doc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:57 pm 

Nosferatu is in the public domain so it could technically be that too.

Stealth troll answer is Four Devils though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:24 pm 

Sunrise would make my day.

Last edited by Malickite on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pm 

A new restoration of Sunrise would be perfect.. the quality of the print on the current Blu is awful

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm 

A box set of Nosferatu, Sunrise, City Girls and some more would be even better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm 

kcota17 wrote:
A new restoration of Sunrise would be perfect.. the quality of the print on the current Blu is awful

The original negative was lost in the 1937 Fox vault fire and pretty much everything else on nitrate was junked by the 70s. The best surviving elements of the American/Movietone version were from 4th generation materials. The export cut survives as an incomplete original print from a Czech archive.

Like Vampyr and Lonesome, outside of a miraculous find like an original print, there's not much that can be done about the quality other than preserving it as organically as possible. I have the MoC Blu and it looks way better than you'd expect with its problems. The Czech print looks quite beautiful, but it's not complete and wouldn't match up with the other cut due to aspect ratio and editing differences.

I'd put my money on it being City Girl since it doesn't have a US release at all outside the Murnau/Borzage box set and even the MoC Blu only has a David Kalat commentary as an extra.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:

That is on the Cat People disc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 pm 

Bill Morrison
Richard Rush
Laura Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:41 pm 

I'd laugh if the Richard Rush was Color of the Night. Maybe Freebie and the Bean? As for Laura Poitras my guess would be Citizenfour about Edward Snowden.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 pm 
Dot Com Dom

The Stunt Man is OOP, could be that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'd agree on Stunt Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 am 

Big Ben wrote:
I'd laugh if the Richard Rush was Color of the Night. Maybe Freebie and the Bean? As for Laura Poitras my guess would be Citizenfour about Edward Snowden.

The current Blu-ray of Citizenfour is still in print and has a pretty sizable amount of bonus features, plus I'm pretty sure the Weinstein Company has never licensed anything to Criterion before. I think it's more likely to be one or more of Flag Wars, My Country, My Country, and The Oath, which had DVD-only releases from Zeitgeist that are now all OOP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm 

What could the Bill Morrison be? I thought all his stuff was divided between Icarus and Kino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:08 pm 

Could be just for Filmstruck, as he has a very long list of shorts that Icarus and Kino haven't put out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

Big Ben wrote:
I'd laugh if the Richard Rush was Color of the Night.

I would love it if it was for Of Love and Desire because I'm a Steve Cochran fan.
I haven't seen the film, and from the rating at imdb I guess it wouldn't be this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm 

Just bringing this one back up:

dwk wrote:

Do we think if there were a potential release of The Usual Suspects planned for the near future it may be scuppered, considering recent events and likely future ones?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

It might get put on the back burner but unless I’ve missed something he’s so far avoided accusations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 pm 

Ribs is likely referring to the fact that Kevin Spacey stars in the film.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm 

It’s both things. If the Singer story breaks bad, there’ll almost definitely be a component of it tied to this film in particular because of Spacey.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm 

Ribs wrote:
It’s both things. If the Singer story breaks bad, there’ll almost definitely be a component of it tied to this film in particular because of Spacey.

Yeah I'd wager Singer is the next one on the chopping block. Lot of rumors about him, and it's particularly damaging that an associate of his, Gary Goddard, has now been named as a child molester, by Anthony Edwards no less.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 pm 

Pages are up for Night of the Living Dead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm 

dwk wrote:
Pages are up for Night of the Living Dead

YES. My birthday month, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48