Transparent

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Amazon Originals

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm about halfway through Transparent, and I like it a lot. It's using the same aspect ratio as House of Cards which I find interesting. It's a good medium between the normal one for shows today and just out-right 2.35 which would look kind of strange for a regular series (I actually think one of their recent pilots was shot in that AR).

Black Hat

Transparent

#2 Post by Black Hat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm

I see Transparent has yet to have a thread devoted to it and given its intelligence, heavy European film influences (the Godardian titles) style and pacing if there is one show which should have a thread dedicated to it here it's this.

It tells the story of the Pfeffermans, a close knit Jewish, but mostly secular family in Los Angeles. The parents are divorced the kids (2 girls, 1 boy) in their 30s. It's unlike anything I have seen on tv before. It's not necessarily a happy or comfortable show, but it is a show which realistically portrays how uncomfortable the pursuit of happiness can be. It's pre Persona Bergman before Ingmar was made aware of who Bergman was. Yes it's a show about identity, but not as much about gender/sexuality that it's reputation suggests. The cast is excellent as in every single person who speaks a line. It's shot in 2.00:1, the music — score and soundtrack — excellent, providing a perspective balancing out easy and difficult moments. What makes the show brilliant isn't how these characters are outliers it's in how they're like everybody else with the same problems, fears, anxieties and comforts. Nobody is judged despite its characters laid bare. It's very much a reflection of where America is today, struggling with where she wants to go. The characters are often asking questions they have no idea the answer to which forces you to ask those same questions. More than anything these characters are remarkably human.

Transparent is by far the most interesting show on television at the moment and its most important. Hyperbole not intended.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Transparent

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:40 pm

I liked the first season. It reminded me of Six Feet Under in a few ways but certainly stands on it's own. I haven't given the second season a try yet, but your review will probably push it ahead in my own queue.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest the show's cultural importance. It's a subject mainstream America has barely wrapped it's head around (if the recent ruling in North Carolina is any suggestion to that). Thus it's something that only a platform as relatively fresh as Amazon can embrace it seems.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hat

#4 Post by Black Hat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:03 pm

I appreciate that. I think the show's doing amazing work on creative, technical and social levels, can not say enough.

It's interesting to me how you watched season one, but haven't seen season two yet because I started the show around the new year and in this age of binge watching — I ecstatically just killed Mr Robot in two days — I still have two episodes of season 2 left. It's the only show of this modern era I've taken my time with. Not because I'm not looking forward to spending time with these characters, but rather because I want to set aside quality time with them. I'm not addicted to it like a crackhead falling for the show's gimmicks wanting to find out what happens next. I take and appreciate the distance hoping I will understand everything fuller. You mentioned Six Feet Under which Jil Soloway used to write for and it is similar but not as tightly structured or self aware of its drama. There's a genuine sentimentality to Transparent, an underlying sweetness, which as crazy as it sounds I can only compare to Chaplin.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Viewing habits tended more towards movies in the previous months. House of Cards, Daredevil and Bosch have got me more in the binge mindframe.

I certainly see a bit of myself in most of the characters and their struggles to a degree, but at various times I found them all rather unlikable too (which was a common quip I'd hear about Six Feet Under). I won't say that it put me off getting right into the new season, but I wasn't as chomping at the bit for it either.

Black Hat

#6 Post by Black Hat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:01 am

I would agree as by the middle of the first season I wasn't a fan of these people either, especially Josh. Then I was chatting about the show with a friend of mine who, having seen both seasons, was emphatic in declaring the show very genuine in explaining why these people are the way they are. My friend was right. These characters are lower case fucked up, but they earn our sympathy because over time we see how much they try to do the right thing. Life sometimes doesn't work out the way we intend it to no matter how hard we try.

It's crafted much differently than Transparent, with the subtlety of a bombing raid, but Lifetime's UnReal — a show about the production of a Bachelorette type reality show — is a jarring look at what's behind the entertainment dominating our cultural landscape. If you thought reality tv was the enemy of all intelligence UnReal shows you that's irrelevant because the genre is subhuman. Transparent is more successful than UnReal, but the shows are a reflection of America's conflict with itself. On one side the thoughtful, anxiety ridden about where they are, where they're going while the other is not clued in enough to notice reality.

jazzo

#7 Post by jazzo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Black Hat, I entirely agree with your love and assessment of the show.

I actually think it's quite a remarkable achievement, the way that it balances everything so perfectly, and my wife and I watch every episode in utter fascination (almost bordering on dread) as these narcissistic people fuck up their lives, and the lives of those closest to them, more and more. But, each and every episode, we also find ourselves greatly endeared to them and sit in their corner rooting for them not to.

The show and its beautifully flawed characters break my heart constantly, mostly because I recognize so much of myself and my family in their behaviour. It all feels very modern and current, and I almost feel guilty for saying that I love it so much, considering just how privileged and self-indulgent they are. But I also don't think the show can be dismissed because everything about it feels honest. It is a chronicle of isolationist North American life, and the emotional malaise that overtakes us all at one point or another, first-world or not.

The only complaint I have is that Amazon owns the rights to Dustin O'Halloran's beautiful score (not the soundtrack), and have only released it through their digital music platform. Guess which Amazon country doesn't have a digital music platform? Fucking Canada, eh?

I've tried, repeatedly, to download the goddamn thing through other Amazon countries and get a flat-out no every time. In an effort to do this legally and support the artist involved, I've even emailed Dustin's site directly, and the administrator apologetically replied that they actually have no control over the music, only Amazon, and that they don't think a general digital or CD release is forthcoming any time soon.

Even my illegal avenues have come up dry.

Motherfuck.

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Jeffrey Tambor has now quit the show.

Werewolf by Night

#9 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Might as well cancel the show. I actually love it, but I feel like this past season started to show how threadbare many of the characters have become. The plot twist for Len and Sarah in particular was a little groan-worthy.

Black Hat

#11 Post by Black Hat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm

The biggest thing in this piece is the bit about the accusations being part of a personal vendetta.
Sounds to me like they've investigated, found the claims lacking in merit and with this report in the Times are trying to test out the waters for Tambor continuing. If he hadn't quit the show the time for Amazon to push back was when everywhere reported that Tambor resigned, not now after things have blown over a bit.

If you really want to be cynical about it they've concluded there is no show without Tambor and are trying to spin it to so they show can continue.

Risky move, but they must be positive Tambor doesn't have any more skeletons in his closet who are going to come forward.

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 am