Cohen Media Group: Jacques Rivette

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
John Doe

Cohen Media Group: Jacques Rivette

#1 Post by John Doe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm

A 4K resto of La Belle Noiseuse is coming.

Rupert Pupkin

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#2 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm

John Doe wrote:A 4K resto of La Belle Noiseuse is coming.
fantastic! I had bought the Japanese Blu-Ray 3 years ago or perhaps more than that it was just upscaling...

I hope that this will be added quickly to the Cohen Blu-Ray coming soon...

By the way, but this is a trailer : the ratio doesn't look to be 1:33...

Pepsi

#3 Post by Pepsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 am

the ratio doesn't look to be 1:33
OAR is 1:1:37 (1:1.33 is a TV ratio). The image is made to fit multiplex theaters widescreen projectors (35 mm / they didn't have academic ratio objects), so that it can be projected in widescreen (1:1.66) without loosing too much information in the picture, but the intended ratio is 1:1.37.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Pepsi wrote:OAR is 1:1:37 (1:1.33 is a TV ratio). The image is made to fit multiplex theaters widescreen projectors (35 mm / they didn't have academic ratio objects), so that it can be projected in widescreen (1:1.66) without loosing too much information in the picture, but the intended ratio is 1:1.37.
It was definitely 1.37:1 when I saw it in a large London cinema on its original release. By then, Academy was such an unusual ratio to encounter with brand new releases in West End first-run cinemas that I tend to remember such things - and since the distributor owned the cinema in question, I suspect they got the ratio right.

Rupert Pupkin

#5 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm

my mistake : I was thinking 1:37 whereas the ratio of the trailer looks wider (like 1:66 or something like that)- but it's just a trailer by Cohen.
The Japanese blu-ray (X4 restoration) is 1:37 ratio...

Pepsi

#6 Post by Pepsi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 am

La Belle Noiseuse
If a UK company (Artificial Eye has it on DVD) will release this on Blu-Ray, please announce it before (and not afterwards) the Cohen release date. Then you get my money instead of Cohen.

CSM126

#7 Post by CSM126 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 am

Pepsi wrote:La Belle Noiseuse
If a UK company (Artificial Eye has it on DVD) will release this on Blu-Ray, please announce it before (and not afterwards) the Cohen release date. Then you get my money instead of Cohen.
UK Distributor “Well shit, we gotta get that Pepsi money!” *runs to PR department, tie flying behind him, hastily-drafted press release in hand.*

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am

If Cohen puts out a worthy release (and one lives in the US) why would one shun it?

Ribs

#9 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

Cohen is a good label, but I think there's an expectation that if they're not just porting their release over and it's being licensed by Arrow or the BFI or MoC (all of which have varying degrees of stakes in the Rivette game) they'd maybe do a marginally better encoding job and make new features.

Peter McM

#10 Post by Peter McM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 pm

This thread hasn't seen any action in a month. Any idea yet on a date for La Belle Noiseuse?

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#11 Post by Caligula » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 am

Peter McM wrote:This thread hasn't seen any action in a month. Any idea yet on a date for La Belle Noiseuse?
Up for pre-order at Best Buy with release date of 8 May 2018

McCrutchy

#12 Post by McCrutchy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 pm

Caligula wrote:
Peter McM wrote:This thread hasn't seen any action in a month. Any idea yet on a date for La Belle Noiseuse?
I hope somebody nixes the atrocious poster before it becomes the cover art, and hopefully, also tells Cohen that the film is not known by its English-translated title, either. The only thing worse than this would be if Cohen swapped French for English and put the true title in parentheses:

Gregory

#13 Post by Gregory » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 pm

"provactive"

knives

#14 Post by knives » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 pm

To be fair I assume selling the promise of boobs is a more successful strategy than any other way to market this in literally every imaginable sense.

tavernier

#15 Post by tavernier » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 am

In what world is a naked Emmanuelle Beart considered "atrocious"?

Peter McM

#16 Post by Peter McM » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 am

Caligula wrote:
Amazon has it up for $30.99. Hopefully it will come down by release date; if not, I'll check Barnes & Noble with membership and whatever coupon they happen to send me at the time.
knives wrote:To be fair I assume selling the promise of boobs is a more successful strategy than any other way to market this in literally every imaginable sense.
Not necessarily to this film's target market. This is supposedly a landmark film in the careers of both Beart and Rivette, and rarely seen until now. (Although, to be fair, it doesn't hurt.)
tavernier wrote:In what world is a naked Emmanuelle Beart considered "atrocious"?
:-k

whaleallright

#17 Post by whaleallright » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 am

Gregory wrote:"provactive"
I think this is one of those pharmaceuticals they advertise during the evening news....

I also enjoy the formatting of the Ebert quote:
THE BEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN
in this rather arcane category

knives

#18 Post by knives » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am

Peter McM wrote:
knives wrote:To be fair I assume selling the promise of boobs is a more successful strategy than any other way to market this in literally every imaginable sense.
Not necessarily to this film's target market. This is supposedly a landmark film in the careers of both Beart and Rivette, and rarely seen until now. (Although, to be fair, it doesn't hurt.)
It had a pretty good DVD release before now. Also they're going to sell about thirty discs to Rivette fans while boob fans at least amount to a few hundred people.

Big Ben

#19 Post by Big Ben » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:30 am

knives wrote:It had a pretty good DVD release before now. Also they're going to sell about thirty discs to Rivette fans while boob fans at least amount to a few hundred people.
Boob fans are going to be really disappointed when they realize the film is just shy of four hours long.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Big Ben wrote:
knives wrote:It had a pretty good DVD release before now. Also they're going to sell about thirty discs to Rivette fans while boob fans at least amount to a few hundred people.
Boob fans are going to be really disappointed when they realize the film is just shy of four hours long.
But they do get to see boobs, and at some length, so nobody’s being cheated.

furbicide

#21 Post by furbicide » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Who are these weird “boob fans” being referred to here? I’ve never previously been aware of the existence of such sexual degenerates!

Gregory

#22 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 pm

HitchcockLang

#23 Post by HitchcockLang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Gregory wrote:Patton Oswalt
Wow... Is there worse commentary on a Criterion Top 10 somewhere? He's more interested in the packaging and the menus than the films themselves.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#24 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm

There's always worse.

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:Wow... Is there worse commentary on a Criterion Top 10 somewhere? He's more interested in the packaging and the menus than the films themselves.
If only there was a popular forum that focused obsessively on such things. And personal delivery sagas as well.