It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
I feel like this is the wrong link, though perhaps Bone Alone's references to Home Alone are more esoteric than I realized

Devastated to hear you aren't a fan of The Evil Within 2.

Does anyone know specifically why Germany is such a huge buyer?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 pm 

Whoops! Fixed the link now! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 am 

MichaelB wrote:
And the chart also explains why eastern European Blu-rays are (a) as rare as hen's teeth (especially local product), and (b) so much more expensive than their DVD equivalents that I often favour the latter.

I had a quick look for Australia, and the most recent figures I could find (for 2016) said that Blu-rays made up about 19% of the disc market, which probably explains why quite a number of new films are getting DVD-only releases. There are also streaming services, but it seems that Australians prefer to buy rather than rent their films digitally. Here and here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am 

Big Ben wrote:
Does anyone know specifically why Germany is such a huge buyer?

That's the true question. I wonder if they were historically already huge DVD buyers. It might be a historical trend.

Werewolf by Night wrote:
It's hard to say from the data above (especially since the last year for the Blu-ray only sales figures is 2013), but I would think DVD is still outselling Blu-ray.

In France, it still vastly is the case, with DVD sales being 4.7 times higher than BD sales in volume, and 2.7 times in value (based on Jan-Sept 2017).
In 2015, it was a 5.5 ratio in volume / 3.1 in value, in 2013 6.8 / 3.5. You can see how it's closing in, but both markets are dropping (-14% for DVD YtY and -6.4% YtY for BD) so the intensity of the drops themselves will also impact how fast (or if at all) BD end up outselling DVD. I suppose that the longest it take, the most likely BD sales are likely to drop more and more each year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Wow, no wonder so many movies get releases in Germany and nowhere else

I think it is an absolute travesty that Germany has a Blu-ray release of Bone Alone and we have to make do with a DVD!

(It was either that joke or something about the sheer number of Schoolgirl Report films)

I feel like this is the wrong link, though perhaps Bone Alone's references to Home Alone are more esoteric than I realized

"Esoteric?" Domino, Home Alone is not a food!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17