Awards Season 2017

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
felipe

Re: Awards Season 2017

#501 Post by felipe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 pm

knives wrote:That's where I think the type of reaction is important and harder to quantify. Logan, which did get a weird nomination and some mild buzz on release making it an outlier to some extent as well, was being praised as a good example of genre while Get Out was on elevating genre through theme. Now of course that shows the tightwire act of if its success today was through tokenism or critical love hence our conversation, but I assume that in general it was the quality of execution of the themes rather than merely the themes themselves which has caused this success.
I understand your points. I liked the movie and I liked the fact that it was able to get these nominations. Would it have gotten these nominations two years ago? Would it have gotten as much buzz two years ago? That I'm not sure.

knives

#502 Post by knives » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Almost definitely not, but that's true of many films. You could just as easily say that to Call Me By Your Name (though maybe you'd have to extend that to five years). That's the whole idea of a film hitting the zeitgeist, no?

wattsup32

#503 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

felipe wrote:Wait. Wan't Lady Bird the best reviewed film of all time on Rotten Tomatoes? Followed by Paddington 2?
According to this, Lady Bird is #31.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#504 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Gold Derby reminded me why I stopped reading Gold Derby:
There has been little backlash to “Three Billboards,” though the New York Times’ columnist Wesley Morris vented some hot bile on it last week for a litany of perceived insults on the American midwest and its character.

Morris argued that “Three Billboards” belongs on the list of seriously-flawed movies that overachieve with critics group and guild voters to become Oscar frontrunners. That’s an insult not only to those movies but to the voters who saw what they saw along the way.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#505 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Interesting fact: had I, Tonya been nominated, every decade from the 40s through present day would have been represented by the Best Picture nominees

felipe

#506 Post by felipe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm

knives wrote:Almost definitely not, but that's true of many films. You could just as easily say that to Call Me By Your Name (though maybe you'd have to extend that to five years). That's the whole idea of a film hitting the zeitgeist, no?
That might be true for many films, but usually the change happens naturally, as in there was no one particular thing that made it possible for Call my by your name to be nominated this year but a set of things that changed over time. In Get Out's case we're talking specifically about a web campaign that canged things from one year to the other.

knives

#507 Post by knives » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't think so. The film is more connected to the recent cop shooting and the election of Trump than oscars so white at least from what I've heard overall. If a political movement has helped push Get Out I'd argue BLM to be a bigger part of it or at least Ferguson.

felipe

#508 Post by felipe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

knives wrote:I don't think so. The film is more connected to the recent cop shooting and the election of Trump than oscars so white at least from what I've heard overall. If a political movement has helped push Get Out I'd argue BLM to be a bigger part of it or at least Ferguson.
I understood oscarssowhite gave it a big push, since at the beginning of each year now pundits are already looking for a movie to fill the "black" spot, and when Get Out was released to great reviews the buzz was there already for black film of the year. If people were not looking for it, I don't think this would've struck them as Oscar material. But it's just the impression I got. I see the context you gave as something that largely influenced the movie's reception, but not still there would be no Oscar buzz without the campaign.

felipe

#509 Post by felipe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 pm

wattsup32 wrote:
felipe wrote:Wait. Wan't Lady Bird the best reviewed film of all time on Rotten Tomatoes? Followed by Paddington 2?
According to this, Lady Bird is #31.
I didn't know about this list. I find it odd though. Inside Out is below Call me by your name, but the Pixar movie has more votes, a higher percentage of fresh reviews and a higher rating. :-k

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#510 Post by Brian C » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 pm

felipe wrote:I understood oscarssowhite gave it a big push, since at the beginning of each year now pundits are already looking for a movie to fill the "black" spot, and when Get Out was released to great reviews the buzz was there already for black film of the year. If people were not looking for it, I don't think this would've struck them as Oscar material. But it's just the impression I got. I see the context you gave as something that largely influenced the movie's reception, but not still there would be no Oscar buzz without the campaign.
OK. Let's accept this to be true, for the sake of argument ... my question is, so what? I mean, what's your actual point? People have been campaigning for Oscars forever. What is it about this campaign that stands out to you as being more noteworthy (dubious?) than the campaigns behind every other movie?

matrixschmatrix

#511 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm

Imagine a world in which a good movie that isn't what the Academy normally looks at gets nominated! Anarchy!

movielocke

#512 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 am

felipe wrote: Get Out had awards buzz since it was released. How much of it was "I'm pretty sure this one will get nominated because of oscarssowhite"? Hidden figures had that exact same buzz last year as soon as it was announced.
it was? I remember people loving the film, but not talking about it as an Oscars film.

I feel like it didn’t get awards buzz until after telluride and Toronto left a kind of wide open race. Then they spent the money and mounted a campaign once they realized there was a viable strategy. Baby driver and Wonder Woman I remember both being talked about as awards films, gal gadot in particular, but I don’t think either studio invested for those films nearly as much time, capital and personnel as was done for get out.

I mean without consultants reaching out to all the journalists posting precursor copy saying leading things like, “I hear so and so is making a big push because so many people are talking about get out still, have you been hearing the same thing? Ohmygod, have you noticed how Daniel and Jordan are just available for everything and everyone? I’m like honey, don’t swipe right to everyone! By the way have you interviewed them yet? Jordan is sooo funny!” How would all those awards pundits know what films to put in their lists without personalized outreach like that? They certainly don’t make lists based on seeing the films or research into what the films are, or is who is in or making them. They wait to find out who the consultants are pushing so they always have a good batting average in “predictions” .

felipe

#513 Post by felipe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 am

Brian C wrote:
felipe wrote:I understood oscarssowhite gave it a big push, since at the beginning of each year now pundits are already looking for a movie to fill the "black" spot, and when Get Out was released to great reviews the buzz was there already for black film of the year. If people were not looking for it, I don't think this would've struck them as Oscar material. But it's just the impression I got. I see the context you gave as something that largely influenced the movie's reception, but not still there would be no Oscar buzz without the campaign.
OK. Let's accept this to be true, for the sake of argument ... my question is, so what? I mean, what's your actual point? People have been campaigning for Oscars forever. What is it about this campaign that stands out to you as being more noteworthy (dubious?) than the campaigns behind every other movie?
This discussion started because someone said the movie was only nominated because of the pressure for the Academy to be more diverse and would not have been nominated on its own merits. And then somebody said Get Out was a box office hit with great reviews, so it would obviously get nominated, and I said I didn't think it was that simple.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#514 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm

This conversation is getting very tiresome, can we drop the whole Oscars affirmative action angle, please? Please? And just discuss the films and the awards? Because it's misguided at best and racist at worst and it's already gone on too long.

Dead or Deader

#515 Post by Dead or Deader » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Brian C wrote:
Ribs wrote:A24's place is likely going to be what to the present what Weinstein/Miramax was to the late 90s what UA was to the late 70s - it's just a weird cyclical thing, it seems, that some medium-sized studio is able to come in and just overturn everything about the Oscars and win a lot more than everyone else.
Orion was a huge Oscar player for awhile in the 80s/90s too - four wins (Amadeus, Platoon, Dances with Wolves, and The Silence of the Lambs) plus two other nominations. And then they died.
Dreamworks won three straight in a row around the time of Weinstein domination, with American Beauty, Gladiator, and A Beautiful Mind. The studio is now defunct under the Disney banner.

As an uprising independent studio, A24 would hopefully be wiser about their business decisions. Too often these mid-tier studios have a major studio approach of trying to capitalize their niche films by releasing them either too early, or they forget to market the film properly. The Miramax release strategy downgraded the independent market, as for every one major BO hit, there were thousands of films that were dumped upon by the studio because they didn't pleased the needs of Juba the Hut. In producing or acquiring these smaller films, A24 should be cautiously about the fate of these once promising studios.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#516 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:Juba the Hut
Is this, uh... what I think it is?

Dead or Deader

#517 Post by Dead or Deader » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:23 pm

It's he, who shall not be named, for the sake of discussion and sanity.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#518 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Gotta be a better way of handling that without incorporating the fact that he's Jewish, but okay!

Dead or Deader

#519 Post by Dead or Deader » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Unaware of what implication I have of him being of Jewish decent except spelling out his surname. I'm not going to derail this crazy thread into a deranged freak show

Big Ben

#520 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

These are an incredibly inclusive set of nominees with at least one nominee, a trans man being an Oscar first. I think that counts for something. Seeing him respond to his nomination was really great to see.

But yeah about that Boss Baby nomination...

bearcuborg

#521 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:Unaware of what implication I have of him being of Jewish decent except spelling out his surname. I'm not going to derail this crazy thread into a deranged freak show
Don’t worry, you didn’t. It seems others can’t help themselves.

McCrutchy

#522 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:Dreamworks won three straight in a row around the time of Weinstein domination, with American Beauty, Gladiator, and A Beautiful Mind. The studio is now defunct under the Disney banner.
Isn't DreamWorks now a part of Universal?

(But, it would be very frightening if Disney owned Fox and DreamWorks, as well as Marvel and Lucasfilm!)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#523 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:Unaware of what implication I have of him being of Jewish decent except spelling out his surname. I'm not going to derail this crazy thread into a deranged freak show
Sorry if I misunderstood! Why I asked and didn't directly accuse.

Werewolf by Night

#524 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Who is "Juba the Hut" anyway?

Dead or Deader

#525 Post by Dead or Deader » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm

"Jaba the Hut" or however you spell it.

(PS, not a Star Wars fanboy)