It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm 

""It wouldn't be entirely unfair to the rest of Roman J. Israel, Esq. to rename the movie Denzel Washington."

Oh, Martin Liebman. Let's find all of his uses of "performance" throughout this review:

"a star delivering a performance typical of his body of work"
"named for the towering character but that could just as easily be renamed for the towering performance that makes it"
"But Washington's performance stands a cut above"
"Gilroy focuses so intently on Washington's uncanny, immersive, and endlessly captivating performance that the movie often feels more like a director so mesmerized by the performance that he often forgets to make the story more purposeful and accessible." - a double dip!
"the film sometimes struggles to find the man beyond the performance"
"everything is swallowed up whole by Washington's award-worthy performance"

and my favorite...
"Roman J. Israel, Esq.'s 1080p transfer is as screen-commanding as Denzel Washington's performance."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

Weirder still that he'd say that in an otherwise fairly positive review (and I'm increasingly convinced by the quiet "it's secretly brilliant" tide I've seen growing on Twitter and elsewhere)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 pm 

It's our duty to talk about this clickbait mess.

(While there are valid critiques for some of those films, I can't get over labeling a movie being specific to one generation. How is Psycho a boomer movie when most of that generation were too young to watched in initial release.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:35 am 

I agree that Crash is a piece of shit, but how in the world is a 2004 movie in any way a baby boomer movie?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 am 

Mungo wrote:
I agree that Crash is a piece of shit, but how in the world is a 2004 movie in any way a baby boomer movie?

The Academy voting body was made up of baby boomers who propped it by giving it the best picture award.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 am 

"All of these are bad", and the first one they show is a masterpiece.

It's not just a clickbait, it reads like a 20-something (maybe even younger) who probably thinks (s)he knows stuff about movies (at least enough to make a list about some of them and have a few arguments about why they're poor movies), but actually has an extremely superficial look at them and just shows how little (s)he actually knows about these movies.
And some "arguments" about why these movies are bad are probably even worse than the movies themselves. "Saturday Night Fever is bad just because, well, it's bad."

Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 am 
Not PETA approved

The Godfather doesn't have an ending? Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am 

I love how the critic believes Hitchcock made an unintentional "black comedy" with Psycho and then turns around and criticizes The Graduate for having characters who behave impulsively. There are forty years of cinema here under attack with Love Story shoved next to Raging Bull (as an example of how Scorsese apes Tarantino by randomly killing off his characters - never mind that no one dies in this particular film); how is this supposed to represent a single generation?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am 

Let's be fair, it just look like an Armond White critic : not only it's non sense, but it tries to find a pattern in this on top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am 

Mr Sausage wrote:
The Godfather doesn't have an ending? Huh?

I have a sinking feeling whoever wrote this is mixing up The Godfather with The Sopranos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am 

The point was to get you to click the next button twenty one times on their shitpost so you'd generate ad revenue each time the page loaded. What happens next will surprise you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:04 pm 

Roger Ryan wrote:
I love how the critic believes Hitchcock made an unintentional "black comedy" with Psycho and then turns around and criticizes The Graduate for having characters who behave impulsively. There are forty years of cinema here under attack with Love Story shoved next to Raging Bull (as an example of how Scorsese apes Tarantino by randomly killing off his characters - never mind that no one dies in this particular film); how is this supposed to represent a single generation?

The critic who wrote this clickbait junk definitely has gaps in their knowledge of cinema. If you honesty believe a filmmaker who was as well-established by 1992 as Scorsese was stealing from Tarantino style, never mind the countless homages in QT films, you really shouldn't be writing columns about film. It all strikes me as written from the perspective of a college film student who holds grudges against the boomer film professor that graded him with a F.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm 

Quote:
A young woman witnesses a bus accident, and is caught up in the aftermath, where the question of whether or not it was intentional affects many people’s lives.
Another snort inducing Letterboxd plot summary. They gotta being doing it on purpose.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 pm 

Assuming that that’s Margaret, it’s not technically wrong, although I agree that it leaves a bit to be desired.

I once summarised Jan Švankmajer’s Conspirators of Pleasure as “Six people decide to have a wank, and then have one.” Which is pretty much entirely accurate, although again it lacks a certain something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm 

What amused me was that there's no question of the bus driver intentionally running anyone over! Replacing "intentional" with "criminally negligent" would be a reasonably accurate one-sentence TV Guide summary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 pm 

It's a popular meme now to explain film plots badly actually. One of the most popular is "Several individuals struggle to return a single piece of jewelry.". This is of course the much known plot of Lord of the Rings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 pm 

Big Ben wrote:
It's a popular meme now to explain film plots badly actually. One of the most popular is "Several individuals struggle to return a single piece of jewelry.". This is of course the much known plot of Lord of the Rings.

It's like that meme from a decade ago describing movies backwards:

Quote:
If you watch the movie `Jaws' backwards, it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm 

aox wrote:
Quote:
it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
That sounds like an awesome movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

And then there's this classic from 1998.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:33 pm 

Rayon Vert wrote:
aox wrote:
Quote:
it's a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
That sounds like an awesome movie.

Barfnado?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144