It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm 

I'm curious when/if the films from this set will be available on Amazon prime streaming via FilmRise, since the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys/Outlaw Gangster VIP/Stray Cat Rock/Battles Without Honor and Humanity sets were all on there last I checked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 am 

Watched Akutaro / The Incorrigible at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It struck me as an interesting companion piece to Fighting Elegy - with the same focus on high school politics, proto-fascism, rebellion and sexual repression. However, whereas the latter film is darker owing to the militarism and wider political atmosphere of the Showa period, in The Incorrigible Suzuki seems to relish the relative freedom allowed in the Taisho period - evinced by the titular character. It's perhaps no wonder that Suzuki would return to this period in the Taisho trilogy - the short outpouring of more liberal, modernist tendencies seems to fascinate him. Having not read the source novel, I can't say what was taken from it, but I also enjoyed the interesting notes such as his reading of Shirakaba and Strindberg, whilst defiantly wearing more traditional Japanese attire was a nice touch (as was the anti-Westernism of the militant ethics brigade whilst relishing their western-style uniforms, made me chuckle).

Also, always nice to hear Kansai-dialect.

Looking forward to Born under Crossed Stars, which seems to be something of a companion to Akutaro. Interesting to note that both these films are based on novels by Toko Kon, who also provided the source novel for Suzuki's 1966 film Carmen from Kawachi, which I was fortunate enough to see a couple of years back at the ICA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:58 pm 

So, should I start worrying that I haven't recieved this from england yet? I really lost track of when it was supposed to release :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5