Evangelical Cinema and Culture

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
med

Re: Passages

#251 Post by med » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:I may not have agreed with literally anything in his world view, but he's given me hours of entertainment at his expense and for that due respect: I am sad I won't have more of his amazing tracts to enjoy
Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Chick stopped drawing the comics himself back in the 80's. I feel like it wasn't that long ago that I read that (possibly around the time I switched to the Chick avatar I currently have), but I can't find anything to corroborate that now.

Gregory

Re: Passages

#252 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:11 pm

It's worth reposting this, from the other Chick discussion a couple years back:
George Drooly wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Gregory (and others), if you like Jack Chick, you should check out God's Cartoonist, a full-length doc on his work
This is a remarkable study of his work as well:
http://danielraeburn.com/The_Imp,_by_Da ... mp_JTC.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djproject

Re: Jack Chick (1924-2016)

#253 Post by djproject » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

If there is one image that both encapsulates his whole message and why I personally found him entertaining theologically speaking, it's this one (a common one in many of his tracts):

(See if you can spot where the humour lies ;) =] )

jwd5275

Re: Evangelical Cinema and Culture

#254 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Nice! That pretty much sums it up.

(He is cherry-picking a verse from a passage that is actually condemning his own actions and worldview....)

djproject

#255 Post by djproject » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Nice! That pretty much sums it up.

(He is cherry-picking a verse from a passage that is actually condemning his own actions and worldview....)
Yup. Also:

1) Because of the cherry-pick, it directly contradicts his claim that the message he proclaimed is purely Biblical.

2) Continuing the contradictions, the "judge" has a blank face. Also looks "superhuman"

So yeah: Chick is dead. Aaah. Chicken is good.

whaleallright

#256 Post by whaleallright » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Chick typically depicted God with a blank face. Sort of the pictorial equivalent of spelling it "G-d," I suppose.

djproject

#257 Post by djproject » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:35 pm

whaleallright wrote:Chick typically depicted God with a blank face. Sort of the pictorial equivalent of spelling it "G-d," I suppose.
Except if you are Christian, you believe Jesus Christ is the Judge.

(Again, this is why I never took him seriously =] )

knives

#258 Post by knives » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Aren't there a lot of different theologies in Christianity? Presumably his wouldn't have that.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#259 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 pm

This passage explicitly refers to "the Son of Man" being the judge

knives

#260 Post by knives » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 pm

So? That could just as easily apply to Ezekiel or really anyone. It's not much to hang all denominations' dogma upon.

aox

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#261 Post by aox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 am

Evangelicals in the heartland are rallying around this new film called:

I Can Only Imagine

It only piqued my interest because it has Dennis Quaid. I can't imagine Dennis Quaid showing up to set for the mandatory prayer meeting everyday before work began. While the cinematography looks competent, a film trying to portray the events that lead to the writing of a single song seems thin to me.

Also, I am completely ignorant to this entire billion dollar industry.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#262 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 pm

The lyrics of that song don't seem like the kind of lyrics that have much of a story behind them, that's for sure. Oof.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#263 Post by soundchaser » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I'll resist the temptation to say that if you haven't heard the song before now, you should count your blessings.

aox

#264 Post by aox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:The lyrics of that song don't seem like the kind of lyrics that have much of a story behind them, that's for sure. Oof.
I think you have to imagine.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#265 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:10 am

Still waiting patiently for Butterfly Kisses: the Movie

Jean-Luc Garbo

#266 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

aox wrote:Also, I am completely ignorant to this entire billion dollar industry.
Alissa Wilkinson just wrote a good rundown of God's Not Dead 3. She gets into the politics of the whole series if you're curious how so many evangelicals could see themselves as the besieged minority in this country and what function the series serves for them.

Big Ben

#267 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
aox wrote:Also, I am completely ignorant to this entire billion dollar industry.
Alissa Wilkinson just wrote a good rundown of God's Not Dead 3. She gets into the politics of the whole series if you're curious how so many evangelicals could see themselves as the besieged minority in this country and what function the series serves for them.
It's fascinating to me to see folks who consume films like they talk about how filled with faith they are and yet they consistently need reassurance regarding it. Perhaps my perspective of faith is incorrect but I have always been under the impression that if your faith is truly as strong as you say it is you shouldn't need a monumental amount of reassurance about it all the time in a melodramatic fashion. This of course does not negate the occasional test of faith with life's many struggles. No doubt a person of deep religious conviction would be challenged when seeing all the things that happen in this world.

With evidence that white evangelicals' base is shrinking this article sure strikes me as very relevant. These are not films about faith in the traditional sense but are really "Woe to me the only righteous one" kind of deal. The struggle is between them and other people not between their faith and God.

I'm down for a good film about religion anytime. I just don't want it to be a hack job.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#268 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am

A secret and apparently quite volatile Roe v Wade movie being shot with Jon Voight in the lead has caused crew members to walk off the set after learning what they're making-- this was a movie deemed too extreme by Kevin Sorbo, who has made a second career out of starring in Evangelical movies

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#269 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 am

This has to be one of the most recent WTF shooting I've read of. I'm not sure what's the weirdest thing though : that the producers thought their seeminlgy basic tricks would work on the longer run, or how they seemed to have at least worked on the very short term.

colinr0380

#270 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 pm

I am just curious as to how it will ever match up to the jawdropping Voiceless.

lzx

#271 Post by lzx » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 am

The studio that made the “God’s Not Dead” movies and “Do You Believe?”, among others, is already eyeing movie rights to the Thai cave rescue