Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Werewolf by Night

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#1401 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:21 pm

This just seems like a mess of a trailer more than anything else indicative of a bad movie or performance.

Big Ben

#1402 Post by Big Ben » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Guys I think the biggest thing you all aren't mentioning is that Chewbacca clearly has a wife/lover in the film. This validates at least one part of the Star Wars Christmas special!

As for Solo itself and it being a bad idea I believe this has been Lawrence Kasdan's baby for decades. Obviously waiting to do it might have been a bad idea. Although I'm unsure if Ford would have done it thirty years ago.

Ribs

#1403 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Hot take alert but I find Harrison Ford was never particularly good as Han Solo it was the character that was appealing. The last time I watched Star Wars and Return of the Jedi when they played a few years back I found myself really thinking about how, though it's obviously an iconic character, he is easily the part of the cast I'd first drop and try somebody else out in. I have no idea about suggestions because I have no idea who else comes to mind of that same general type for in 1977 (the Kasdan connection has me pondering William Hurt, but he wasn't really acting in movies until the 80s started) but it just doesn't sing to me the way it apparently does for everyone else. Ehrenreich is just tremendous based on his work for the Coens and more explicitly Beatty so I feel totally confident about him and can't help but feel like the tee has been placed that regardless of how he actually does he's the one who'll get blamed if this doesn't go down particularly well, which I realize is probably a crazy conspiracy.

Lost Highway

#1404 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Ribs wrote:Hot take alert but I find Harrison Ford was never particularly good as Han Solo it was the character that was appealing. The last time I watched Star Wars and Return of the Jedi when they played a few years back I found myself really thinking about how, though it's obviously an iconic character, he is easily the part of the cast I'd first drop and try somebody else out in. I have no idea about suggestions because I have no idea who else comes to mind of that same general type for in 1977 (the Kasdan connection has me pondering William Hurt, but he wasn't really acting in movies until the 80s started) but it just doesn't sing to me the way it apparently does for everyone else.
Yup, that's weird.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1405 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Just to second Ribs and make him feel less alone, I'm also in the "I've never liked Harrison Ford very much in anything" camp, he's always been pretty much a charisma black hole for me, dating back to my first exposure to him as a child all the way up through his appearance in Blade Runner 2049

Brian C

#1406 Post by Brian C » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Imma split the difference here and say that I agree Ford has obvious limitations to his appeal, but also that Solo-type roles are something he’s good at.

Lost Highway

#1407 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I wouldn't say I'm massive fan of Ford but for most people it's easy to see why he was the only one of the three leads to come out of Star Wars as a movie star.

hearthesilence

#1408 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm

David Thomson's entry on Ford in his Biographical Dictionary of Film is actually spot-on: there's often a chilly distance to Ford's screen persona, and while he's rarely tested his limits as an actor, he hasn't done all that well when he has, so it's probably for the better.

But he can been pretty effective. He has been pretty good with bits of comedy and this was again true when he was finally cast in a decent comic role in Working Girl. I think Blade Runner actually benefits from his naturally gruff cantankerous demeanor, and Thomson was spot-on in observing that around Frantic he was "growing an anxious gaze, like that of Gary Cooper." I don't think he was the only one to notice this, and it's a big reason why he made a bigger (if not great) impression on me in some of his late '80s and '90s roles than he did with his earlier ones. I'm tempted to say the best example of this was in The Fugitive - in a way, it's a thankless lead performance because at least with the movie (I've barely seen the TV show) you're dealing with a character who is usually avoiding contact with other people and doing everything they can to keep a low profile. (It's no surprise Tommy Lee Jones stole the show with a highly verbose part driven by his interactions with his team of U.S. Marshals.) Ford can seem introverted to a fault, but it works perfectly in this context and it's where that "anxious gaze" may have been put to best use.

beamish13

#1409 Post by beamish13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Some directors have managed to elicit really great performances from Ford, particularly Peter Weir. I think what's diminished the
quality of his output is his obvious disdain for the industry (and perhaps acting in general).

Ribs

#1410 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:47 pm

I like a lot of Harrison Ford performances, but I'm just a little bewildered by the common consensus opinion a lot of people have that he's, like, this particularly great actor. It's probably just because of being paired to his two big characters that give him this reputation. I don't really have any problem with him other than that standing, and in fact I'd say he's absurdly good in Working Girl. I don't think he made Han Solo into a particularly better character than any other working actor of similar type or build, is all I meant.

Luke M

#1411 Post by Luke M » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I have always liked Ford but I wouldn’t say he’s an especially great actor. I think he’s there with Stallone, capable of turning out great performances but that’s not really his schtick.

colinr0380

#1412 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

I just wanted to agree with hearthesilence's mention of Thomson's note of Ford "growing an anxious gaze". That late 80s to mid 90s version of Harrison Ford is something quite different from what came before. Looking at something like Witness which is almost comforting in its straightforward goodies and baddies thriller plot, which is almost overwhelmed by bucolic scenes of learning about another culture, it is interesting to compare it to the paranoia creeping in with Frantic or even the Jack Ryan films. There are also a number of films about the internal fears within a family threatening to tear it apart rather than external ones: Regarding Henry is a silly film but one that is almost entirely grounded by Ford's performance; and I think Presumed Innocent is the best of all the crime thrillers of the period, neatly situated between the Jagged Edge and Fatal Attraction style of 'sexy thriller'...
SpoilerShow
(spoiler: with a gender-bending twist on who is the 'guilty' party! But then Ford's character was still having the affair, I suppose, so they're both guilty!)
and the run of John Grisham courtroom thriller adaptations that were soon to arrive.

But then more recently I think Ford has transitioned from that into the 'gruff father figure' role, perhaps as early as sending the young sailors to die in K-19: The Widowmaker, but brilliantly in Ender's Game (and then in all his revisits of iconic film characters in his three big franchises)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

aox

#1413 Post by aox » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm

What about #42? Not a memorable film, but I think it might be the most un-Harrison Ford performance Ford has ever given.

bearcuborg

#1414 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

aox wrote:What about #42? Not a memorable film, but I think it might be the most un-Harrison Ford performance Ford has ever given.
That’s about all anyone can say for that movie. Other than it could have appeared on Lifetime.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#1415 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Margaret Atwood: Star Wars Probably Inspired 9/11

Let's see... yep, all checks out. Nothing to debate there.

Big Ben

#1416 Post by Big Ben » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I've gotten pretty used to seeing nuclear takes online but that one took my breath away.

hearthesilence

#1417 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:25 pm

That's such bullshit. We all know Independence Day was the real inspiration.

John Shade

#1418 Post by John Shade » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 pm

bearcuborg wrote:
aox wrote:What about #42? Not a memorable film, but I think it might be the most un-Harrison Ford performance Ford has ever given.
That’s about all anyone can say for that movie. Other than it could appeared on Lifetime.
I like the movie and saw it again somewhat recently; not great, but perfect for 7th graders. Ford has a certain quality that distinguished Indiana Jones from being a James Bond type figure (maybe a bad comparison?)--gruffness is the word. Earlier I had posted that Adam Driver might be the best actor to enter this series...I guess that wasn't as hot-takey as I thought.

Luke M

Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#1419 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 pm

John Shade wrote:
bearcuborg wrote:
That’s about all anyone can say for that movie. Other than it could appeared on Lifetime.
I like the movie and saw it again somewhat recently; not great, but perfect for 7th graders. Ford has a certain quality that distinguished Indiana Jones from being a James Bond type figure (maybe a bad comparison?)--gruffness is the word. Earlier I had posted that Adam Driver might be the best actor to enter this series...I guess that wasn't as hot-takey as I thought.
We’re just gonna act like Academy Award winner and 4 time nominee Alec Guinness wasn’t in this series? Or Natalie Portman?

Adam Driver probably has delivered best performance in a Star Wars movie but actually being the best? Too soon.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#1420 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Luke M wrote:We’re just gonna act like Academy Award winner and 4 time nominee Alec Guinness wasn’t in this series? Or Natalie Portman?

Adam Driver probably has delivered best performance in a Star Wars movie but actually being the best? Too soon.
Or Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee?

Lost Highway

#1421 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 am

Even when it comes to this trilogy Adam Driver has competition in the best actor stakes. Isaac and Dern are no slouches (I’d argue that Driver is a very similar actor to Dern in terms of intensity, creative choices and presence. Dern has many qualities which male actors get praised for and long got derided for it.) I think a strong case can be made that Driver gives the most compelling performance in all the Star Wars films so far (and I loved the way it used Dern).

I’ve finally watched The Last Jedi last night and never having been much of a Star Wars fan, this is shaping up to become my favourite Star Wars trilogy. The biggest problem I’ve had with the series is that the characterisation has always been thin. The characters in these new films strike me as having more depth and there are more shades of gray.

I loved what they did with Skywalker in this. One of the most boring characters in pop culture screws up big time (and lies about it !) and finally stops being bland. The film has pacing problems but for me at least, it’s the first Star Wars movie where characters make interesting choices with interesting results.

Side notes: I loved the vibe of De Palma’s The Fury the first time Rey and Kylo establish a psychic connection and the evil Wizard of Oz look of Snoke’s throne room.

N_Bourbaki

#1422 Post by N_Bourbaki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Luke M wrote:We’re just gonna act like Academy Award winner and 4 time nominee Alec Guinness wasn’t in this series? Or Natalie Portman?

Or Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee?
How can anyone overlook Peter Cushing's electric performance in Rogue One?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1423 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 pm

There’s no way I can go back and read this whole thread but I’ll just say, upon my viewing of The Last Jedi: How could anyone not like that? How could anyone not love that? Easily the best one of these films for me (ever), a borderline masterpiece trapped in the machinery of a monolithic franchise. Great, stunning stuff.

lacritfan

#1424 Post by lacritfan » Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 pm

barryconvex

#1425 Post by barryconvex » Sat May 12, 2018 12:49 am

mfunk9786 wrote:There’s no way I can go back and read this whole thread but I’ll just say, upon my viewing of The Empire Strikes Back: How could anyone not like that? How could anyone not love that? Easily the best one of these films for me (ever), a borderline masterpiece trapped in the machinery of a monolithic franchise. Great, stunning stuff.
Fixed..