Criterion UK

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Apperson

Re: Criterion UK

#376 Post by Apperson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 am

A Matter of Life and Death has been pulled from Zoom and Amazon.co.uk, no reason given as of right now.

rapta

#377 Post by rapta » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Yup, my pre-order from Zoom has been cancelled and via Twitter they said they're hoping it isn't pulled completely. Very frustrating but I hope it's just a delay rather than cancellation...

Hopefully they'll swap it for something else for July. Barry Lyndon or Being There would be nice, for example.

MichaelB

#378 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 pm

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it has a different rightsholder in the UK and Criterion blithely assumed that it was Sony across the board?

rapta

#379 Post by rapta » Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 am

...and now the UK release of sex, lies, and videotape has also been scrapped/delayed. I wonder what's going on?

MichaelB

#380 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Well, that one has a legitimate alternative UK release - and a very recent one, what's more.

Old Soviet titles like the Tarkovskys are one thing, as it's well known that there are all sorts of copyright grey areas there, but clearly it shouldn't normally be possible to have two separate, simultaneous and competing releases of American films made in the last thirty years (or indeed considerably older) within the same territory.

tenia

#381 Post by tenia » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 pm

What's especially surprising here is that you'd think such a renowned structure like Criterion would have thoroughly made all the necessary rightholding researches for their releases, and yet, it seems a bit more chaotic than that.
And if we consider Sony is actually doing most of the UK ports work, don't they have the UK rights of the Soderbergh there ?

reaky

#382 Post by reaky » Thu May 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Paging Criterion: now you have a blank slate in July, go ahead and substitute the Sternberg/Dietrich set. Arrow no longer have the rights. You’re clear.

Finch

#383 Post by Finch » Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm

rapta wrote:...and now the UK release of sex, lies, and videotape has also been scrapped/delayed. I wonder what's going on?
That's hysterical. Did no one bother check the rights situation upfront? Mind, if we get the Sternberg box and Female Trouble instead, I'd be a very happy camper.

rapta

#384 Post by rapta » Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 pm

tenia wrote:What's especially surprising here is that you'd think such a renowned structure like Criterion would have thoroughly made all the necessary rightholding researches for their releases, and yet, it seems a bit more chaotic than that.
And if we consider Sony is actually doing most of the UK ports work, don't they have the UK rights of the Soderbergh there ?
Yeah I'm sure it's up to Sony as much as Criterion what gets released over here. Sure, there's already the HMV exclusive edition of sex, lies, and videotape, but that was only exclusive for a limited period - notice Warner Bros released Logan's Run in a regular edition recently, previously an HMV exclusive. Also Sony themselves allowed Indicator to release Jason and the Argonauts last year, even if it was only a box set exclusive.

muchogris

#385 Post by muchogris » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

In the leaked titles because of the new site Altered states appeared, anyone know if the current UK release is OOP?

dwk

#386 Post by dwk » Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm

The Mishima Blu is down to £17.99 at both Amazon and HMV, so I guess the list price of £38.99 was incorrect.