62-66 Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

joshua

Re: 62-66 Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott

#151 Post by joshua » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 am

knives wrote:He also has a nice role in Kazan's The Arrangment. Plus he got to lead in a a bizarre little film called I Bury the Living by the father of the head of Full Moon.
fixed

Jonathan S

#152 Post by Jonathan S » Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 am

While I've enjoyed many of Boone's film performances, my belated discovery of him as Paladin in Have Gun - Will Travel catapulted my admiration of his subtle acting to a whole new level. The series has occasional dud episodes (the overtly comic ones don't usually work for me), but most of them have the type of rich characterisations and moral ambiguity I associate with my favourite big-screen westerns.

Michael Kerpan

#153 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Jonathan S wrote:While I've enjoyed many of Boone's film performances, my belated discovery of him as Paladin in Have Gun - Will Travel catapulted my admiration of his subtle acting to a whole new level. The series has occasional dud episodes (the overtly comic ones don't usually work for me), but most of them have the type of rich characterisations and moral ambiguity I associate with my favourite big-screen westerns.
I probably haven't seen HGWT for almost 50 years. I remember liking it quite a bit -- way back then. Is this now out on (high-quality) home video? (If not, how did you run across it?)

Jonathan S

#154 Post by Jonathan S » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 am

Paramount gradually released all six seasons of HGWT on DVD, though only seasons 4-6 appear to have undergone restoration, at least in these individual releases (I don't know whether they restored the earlier ones for the complete box set). I found Season Five has the most consistently high standard for both content and technical quality - though Season Six, which begins with the oddball episode "Genesis" (about Paladin's past), also contains many strong episodes, despite its detractors.

Perhaps a barrier to HGWT's wider revival is the naming and marginalisation of the Chinese servants "Hey Boy" and (in the fourth series) "Hey Girl" but elsewhere, when portraying racial minorities and themes, the series usually demonstrates the same level of sensitivity and liberal intentions found in some other American TV shows and films of the late '50s and early '60s.