Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#1526 Post by Drucker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 am

Caps A Holic shows the release to definitely be an upgrade, but certainly not a reference quality/knock-it-out-of-the-park upgrade. Wonder how much of this has to do with really bad encodes (like on The Man Who Fell To Earth).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1527 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm unsure if it's a poor encode or plain DNRed (I'd say the second option).

JamesF

#1529 Post by JamesF » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Studiocanal UK are releasing Blood Simple on Blu-Ray & DVD on October 30th, from the Criterion 4K master and allegedly (according to a user from the other forum) with the following extras:

- New interview with Joel & Ethan Coen
- New interview with M Emmett Walsh
- New interview with John Getz
- Criterion interview with Frances McDormand
- Investor trailer
- Intro by Mortimer Young

kompromiss

#1530 Post by kompromiss » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:55 am

Some great releases are up for pre-order on amazon.co.uk:
Bunuel Boxset
Melville Boxset

And Hammer films on blu-ray:
Straight On Till Morning
Horror Of Frankenstein
To The Devil A Daughter
Demons Of The Mind
Fear In The Night
Blood From The Mummy's Tomb

But there's no trace of the Fassbinder Boxset. Was it cancelled, or just postponed?

dda1996a

#1531 Post by dda1996a » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:11 am

How worthwhile are their Tatiana and Godard boxsets? I'm guessing the price will drop for these new boxes? And does Criterion have Le Samourai in the UK?

Marwood

#1533 Post by Marwood » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:13 am

dda1996a wrote:How worthwhile are their Tatiana and Godard boxsets?
What is this Tatiana box set? Link?

dda1996a

#1534 Post by dda1996a » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:44 am

You seemed to not be very happy with the box, that's why I was asking
What about the Tati? Couldn't find any comparisons online for it, only for the BFI/Criterion.
Does StudioCanal have other good director box sets?

dda1996a

#1535 Post by dda1996a » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:15 am

Marwood wrote:
dda1996a wrote:How worthwhile are their Tatiana and Godard boxsets?
What is this Tatiana box set? Link?
I hate my phone's autocorrect... How is their Tati box? Couldn't find any comparisons online...

dda1996a

#1536 Post by dda1996a » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Could anyone answer regarding the Tati?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1537 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:45 pm

Threads for the Melville and Bunuel sets

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1538 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 am

In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere the new French upgraded box included blus of 'Le Petit Soldat' and 'Made in USA'. From what I can glean there does not seem to be any subs of any description

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1539 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:43 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere the new French upgraded box included blus of 'Le Petit Soldat' and 'Made in USA'. From what I can glean there does not seem to be any subs of any description
I didn't know that box had gotten upgraded with those titles, so I purchased it. I'll report back here when I get it concerning subs for those titles.

The Bunuel box indeed is just in time for the list project, but we're also getting loads of Godards this year which will help out next summer's LP.

dda1996a

#1540 Post by dda1996a » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 pm

No one has gotten a hold of their Tati box?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1542 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 am

dda1996a wrote:No one has gotten a hold of their Tati box?
The Studio Canal Tati box is worthwhile, but I assume many people posting here bought the nearly identical Criterion box.

Unfortunately, this series of restorations is a bit lacking, and the BFI releases of the first two Tati films are prefereable to the box-set.

If you're a Tati fan or if you have never seen his films, it's a great place to start. Unfortunately, it's just not comprehensive/as perfect as it could have been.

hearthesilence

#1543 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:51 am

They really dropped the ball by making the alternate cuts/versions SD presentations when true HD masters were available. With those first two films, I actually prefer the original cut of M. Hulot's Holiday and the color version of his debut, which is why I kept the BFI discs.

Costa

#1544 Post by Costa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:04 am

Along with the other 3 Agatha Cristie movies, which are advertised as "new restoration".
Because I'm always confused with these things, does anyone know if by "new restoration" they mean the 3 year old transfers that were released on bluray?

I wanted to buy those blurays, and I didn't because my favourite one, Death on the Nile, didn't look good at all!

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1545 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
I received the box. Not only do those two films not include English subs, but from what I can discern (blu ray menu and hitting the subtitle button on my remote), there are no subs of any kind on any of the films/discs.

Can anyone owning the 2016 Essential Collection set indicate how the subs for that set are accessed? Are they on the disc menu options?

Question re: the transfers. I'm gathering Contempt and Pierrot le Fou are the same ones used as on the 2010 releases?

M Sanderson

#1546 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Really enjoyed Demons of the Mind, which I regard as perhaps the finest Hammer film, a beautiful and shocking tale of repression and superstition, elliptical, free form and poetic in execution.

Very strong Blu ray, as far as I can see no digital errors, with subtle colours, natural grain and fine detail in both bright and dark areas.

Emilio

#1547 Post by Emilio » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 am

Well, caps are up for Terminator 2 the remastered edition:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=4415

Watch and shudder...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1548 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

The rumour says that it's so bad, Lionsgate delayed their release in order to get hold of possibly an unfiltered master.
It will still leave us with the awful new color timing, but at least, if we can get rid of this god-awful DNR and EE, that'd be a good start. It's a shame because the uptick in details is vastly visible, but it's textureless as hell.

nitin

#1549 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:47 am

It is apparently derived from the 3D master which was degrained because apparently grain and 3D dont necessarily play that well together. Hopefully the pre-3D master is still available.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1550 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:03 am

nitin wrote:It is apparently derived from the 3D master which was degrained because apparently grain and 3D dont necessarily play that well together.
It is the most surprising part to me, considering how many older movies have been converted to 3D / restored in their 3D-version without having such a heavily filtered aspect.
It's even more surprising that you can find such an example within Cameron's own filmography with Titanic, whose BD 3D-release doesn't exhibit such waxiness at all (and looks instead very lovely, just like its 2D counter-part).

I tend to think that this new T2 restoration simply is screwed up because whatever the reason, 3D or not, somebody at SC thought it would look better with the DNR set up at 11 and compensated by some EE.
I'm quite sure SC have different teams working on different projects, and this clearly isn't the team working on their Vintage Classics UK brand, but rather the one that screwed up Purple Noon and thought the Bergman restorations would be better off DNRed.