Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1126 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:12 pm
Wouldn't anyone who wants that already have one of the many available Blu-rays?
Yes but the special features are awful. If they add any new special features that offer insights into the film I'd be delighted as it's one of my favorites of the decade.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1127 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:53 pm

A/V presentation was also wanting on the US Blu-ray

dwk

#1128 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Shout Select is releasing The Glenn Miller Story on Blu-ray on November 20th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1129 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Better to pick up the German Blu-ray instead, which is in the correct intended 1.33 framing and not Universal's release ratio of 1.85 like the R1 DVD and now Shout's Blu-ray

4LOM

Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1130 Post by 4LOM » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:Better to pick up the German Blu-ray instead, which is in the correct intended 1.33 framing and not Universal's release ratio of 1.85 like the R1 DVD and now Shout's Blu-ray
The 112 minute cut is in 1.37:1, the 116 minute cut has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 with more picture informations on the left and right sides.

Calvin

#1131 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:47 pm

On the off chance anybody from Shout is reading, I’d double dip on any Carax film if they managed to source and include Strangulation Blues.

bad future

#1132 Post by bad future » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Hopefully this isn’t too redundant as I’m sure it’s discussed somewhere in the last 45 pages, but is there any reliable way to save money on Shout Factory releases, a la the BN Criterion sale? I’ve never bought any before, but I’m definitely gonna have to get Holy Motors.

(I did a forum search for “save” and “sale” and didn’t see anything, but wanted to avoid reading the whole thread if possible)

dwk

#1133 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Scream is releasing a 3-disc The Thing steelbook in November. Disc 1 is the 2017 4K master (I assume Arrow's) and discs 2 and 3 are the same as the previous Scream release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1134 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 am

dwk wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm
Scream is releasing a 3-disc The Thing steelbook in November. Disc 1 is the 2017 4K master (I assume Arrow's) and discs 2 and 3 are the same as the previous Scream release.
I don't understand what Scream is doing with these 4K upgrades. It's nice for people who haven't bought these yet to get their hands over updated versions (especially with The Thing's comparison with the Arrow version), but if they keep doing these, some people will just stop buying these during the early runs and will just wait out to see if a better version comes later. It seems even more unexpected in cases (like the Halloween 4K remasters) or very quickly arriving (only 2 years between the 2 The Thing releases) that I clearly would be wary about buying any Scream release I feel might be upgraded/updated later on.

The good thing is that they at least seem to be keeping all the older content, so there's at least that, but from a pure marketing strategy, this seems not a very thorough one on a longer term.

Adam X

#1135 Post by Adam X » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 am

They started by releasing a few steelbook editions for their 5th (?) anniversary, and it seem to've snowballed from there. I'm sure they wouldn't keep it up if it wasn't doing well for them. When Jeff Nelson & Cliff MacMillan were on the Shock Waves podcast recently, they mentioned that Shout! are keeping a closer eye on how much titles are making, and so they have to keep certain financial criteria far more in mind when licensing films these days. Honestly, guessing which titles might get remastered is probably a fools errand. While I quite like the film (mosty for Linnea Quigley's performance), I never would've imagined they'd do so for Night of the Demons, and include some additional extras too!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1136 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

According to several members on the Blu-ray.com forums, Shout Factory has now limited all retailers except Amazon (and their own site) from offering their films both for preorder and after release until three weeks after release date. Which removes incentive for Amazon to offer competitive prices, so they'll likely be offered with limited discount (if any). What a bunch of tools

dwk

#1137 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Last week Diabolik DVD posted on facebook
Their new rule is that we can’t take preorders until release date on most titles. Just wait and we will have them.
and earlier today they posted
Despite our previous, now deleted post, Return of the Living Dead 2 is not up for preorder. If you already caught it while it was up, you will still get it no problem, but otherwise we will have stock on 9/3/18 if everything remains the same.
Incredibly stupid, and I have cancelled all my Scream Factory pre-orders.

M Sanderson

#1138 Post by M Sanderson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 am

In the Mouth of Madness looks fabulous on Blu ray. This could be the strongest ever Blu ray I’ve seen from this company. Can’t see any sharpening, compression artifacts, boosting - or any other digitally introduced anomalies. If a scene doesn’t feature a huge amount of physical detail, the disc isn’t trying to modify it for home viewing in any way - as far as I can see, based upon one very impressed viewing. I tend not to see too many astounding Blu rays of ‘90s films - but, this is one of them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1139 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm
According to several members on the Blu-ray.com forums, Shout Factory has now limited all retailers except Amazon (and their own site) from offering their films both for preorder and after release until three weeks after release date. Which removes incentive for Amazon to offer competitive prices, so they'll likely be offered with limited discount (if any). What a bunch of tools
If I'm not mistaken, the price fluctuations on Amazon during pre-orders are taking from their margins, not the suppliers anyway. If that's indeed the case, they're just trying to force people to pre-order from Shout's own webstore only, which limits the flexibility of their customers by preventing them to lock an early pre-order and be done with it. This is so backwards.

M Sanderson

#1140 Post by M Sanderson » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:34 am

How’s the 4k restoration of Lifeforce looking? Worth the upgrade, anybody?

dwk

#1141 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Trick 'r Treat special features
NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Supervised And Approved By Director Michael Dougherty
NEW Tales Of Folklore & Fright: Creating Trick ‘r Treat – Including Interviews With Writer/Director Michael Dougherty, Conceptual Artist Breehn Burns, And Storyboard Artist Simeon Wilkins
NEW Tales Of Mischief & Mayhem: Filming Trick ‘r Treat – In-depth Interview With Michael Dougherty On The Making Of The Film
NEW Sounds Of Shock & Superstition: Scoring Trick ‘r Treat – Including Interviews With Michael Dougherty And Composer Douglas Pipes
NEW Tales Of Dread And Despair: Releasing Trick ‘r Treat – A Look At The Release And Fandom With Michael Dougherty And Writer Rob Galluzzo
NEW 2K Scan Of The Original 16mm Elements of Season’s Greetings – A Short Film By Michael Dougherty With Optional Commentary By Dougherty
NEW Storyboard And Conceptual Artwork Gallery
NEW Behind The Scenes Still Gallery
NEW Monster Mash – A Story From The Trick ‘r Treat Graphic Novel
NEW FEARnet.com Shorts
Audio Commentary With Director Michael Dougherty
Trick ‘r Treat: The Lore And Legends Of Halloween Featurette
Deleted And Alternate Scenes With Optional Commentary By Director Michael Dougherty
School Bus FX Comparison
Theatrical Trailer

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1142 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Murder by Death and the Mangler coming in December

dwk

#1143 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Creepshow Special features:
-NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative – Color correction supervised and approved by director of photography Michael Gornick
-Audio Commentary with Director George A. Romero and Special Make-Up Effects Creator Tom Savini
-NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Michael Gornick
-NEW Audio Commentary with composer/first assistant director John Harrison and construction co-ordinator Ed Fountain
-NEW Terror and the Three Rivers – a round table discussion on the making of Creepshow with John Amplas, Tom Atkins, Tom Savini and Marty Schiff
-NEW The Comic Book Look – an interview with costume designer Barbara Anderson
-NEW Ripped From The Pages – an interview with animator Rick Catizone
-NEW The Colors of Creepshow – a look at the restoration of Creepshow with director of photography Michael Gornick
-NEW Into The Mix – an interview with sound re-recordist Chris Jenkins
-NEW Mondo Macabre – A look at Mondo’s various Creepshow posters with Mondo Co-Founder Rob Jones and Mondo Gallery events planner Josh Curry
-NEW Collecting Creepshow – a look at some of the original props and collectibles from the film with collector Dave Burian
-Audio Interviews with director of photography Michael Gornick, actor John Amplas, property master Bruce Alan Miller, and make-up effects assistant Darryl Ferrucci
-Tom Savini’s Behind-the-Scenes Footage
-Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – a look at the original film locations hosted by Sean Clark
-Deleted Scenes
-Theatrical Trailers
-TV Spot
-Radio Spots
-Still Galleries – Posters, Lobby Cards and Movie Stills
-Still Galleries – Behind the Scenes photos

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1144 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Remember that unnecessary Shout edition of Platoon? Guess DNR is what you get for the extra twenty bucks

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1145 Post by cdnchris » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm

So they did a 4K scan and then scrubbed away detail? Take my money!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1146 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Could have been worse : they could have slapped EE on top of it to compensate.

L.A.

#1147 Post by L.A. » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 am

The Plague Dogs coming in January 2019. From their Facebook page:

Shout! Factory wrote:We know you've been asking.... and today we're happy to provide an update on The Plague Dogs!

Last November, we announced that we would be taking The Plague Dogs off the schedule to work with Martin Rosen in hopes of finding film elements for the extended cut of the film. We're happy to say that we DID locate a print of the extended version and are thrilled to include it in our release. PLUS we filmed a new interview with Martin Rosen which also will appear on our release.

dwk

#1148 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:49 pm

January 15th:
Saturday the 14th
The Howling III
The Plague of the Zombies

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1149 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:03 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:49 pm
Saturday the 14th
I have no doubt that this movie is complete garbage, but I still laugh thinking of the part in the trailer where Paula Prentiss encounters bats in her attic and tells Richard Benjamin, "We got owls"