Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
knives

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

#101 Post by knives » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 pm

joshua wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 pm
knives wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm
Better Midler
Got my new band name. Thanks!
Typos save the day.

thirtyframesasecond

#102 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 am

I used to be one of these people who hated Queen. Now, it's just May and Taylor for rinsing every dollar possible from the band's name and back catalogue. John Deacon's had the right idea and he wrote the better songs.

flyonthewall2983

#103 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 am

I think they all had their moments but you're right about what they've done to the name. Although there are much worse examples, it doesn't make them any better in my eyes for doing it. It extends into this movie and their participation in it as producers. They certainly have every right, but it doesn't guarantee the end result will be every bit as exciting as their music was.
Soothsayer wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:15 pm
2. That Rolling Stone quote is stupid and indefensible in any context. Presenting it here as a serious point of debate makes no sense to me.
To be fair Dave Marsh hated everything. It's a little obvious to me that him and Bill Wyman saw Queen as de-constructive of the idea that Rock music can become a tool of social change and taken seriously, or at worst were firmly against their (in Marsh's case at least, Wyman was born in '61) counter-culture values by simply treating what they did as entertainment. Or perhaps worse still, they didn't make another version of a record they had their minds blown by in the 60's, and chose to forge their own path. Several years ago someone went to the trouble of listing the 500 worst reviews ever published in RS, and in it you'll see plain as day that innovation is the music critic's most despised enemy.