Vox Lux (Brady Corbet, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Vox Lux (Brady Corbet, 2018)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Neon will release the Natalie Portman-starring pop star movie Dec 7th, with a push for Portman in Best Supporting Actress not unlike last year's winner for Neon

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

Re: Vox Lux (Brady Corbet, 2018)

#2 Post by Omensetter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 am

It would seem NEON has some flexibility for Portman too regarding categories, but Supporting seems like a better play in addition to her apparently actually being supporting in the film (at least in terms of screen time).

This is a fantastic fit for NEON, who literally had nothing else to push after, in their debut year, pushing a Scorsese-movie-of-the-week to an above-line Oscar. Granted, this seems more abstruse, esoteric, pick-your-adjective, but a powerhouse Portman with distributor backing is always a safe bet. Their success with I, Tonya likely pushed them over A24, and I'm confident NEON will get this into flyover theatres in the months to come. An Academy Award nomination will not make his music better than it already is, but I'd nonetheless love to see Scott Walker land a nomination, although I imagine NEON is looking at the more manageable nomination for Sia at the moment.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:27 am

If any profession keeps demanding more and more of its workers these days, it's that relatable vocation of superstar entertainer. The audience in the final sequence of Brady Corbet's stone cold masterpiece Vox Lux needs Natalie Portman's Celeste more than ever. Regardless of their personal timeline for realizing deep down that our planet is on a one way ticket to hell, every one of them would not be able to bear it without a shallow release, a source of genuine inspiration wrapped up in a sparkly empty spectacle. Something propulsive in a world that's been thrown in reverse.

It doesn't matter that Celeste is a completely frayed wire, ready to make whatever false move will inevitably take her from them forever. It doesn't matter that her family is losing faith in her sanity, that her child no longer recognizes her. Above all else, Celeste understands her place. She knows why she's here, because her star was born of the exact horror that her art provides an escape valve from. She saw the devil and walked away knowing that she matters so much more and so much less than she realized in the before times. As played by both Raffey Cassidy and Portman, this is a woman who is on another plane of consciousness in a way that is often uncomfortable, sad, hilarious, harrowing, and inspiring. Her story is one that has played out so many times [inside and outside of films], but rarely has it ever been told this well.

Corbet directs this film with the same wild-eyed desperation as his protagonist, as if it's the last thing he'll ever do. The incredible score is ostentatiously bombastic but never hits a false note. The opening credits are staggering. The narration is delivered with acerbic precision. From its first moment to final dedication, Vox Lux is a rare film that feels as though it is operating on a wavelength all its own. You'll either love it or hate it. I think it's an absolute treasure.

Many of the very best films of 2018 have done such an incredible job at holding a mirror up to the living wreckage of the last couple of decades of our society and asking how we can live with our sins. How we move forward from what might be the untenable result of a series of fatal mistakes. Vox Lux may not have the answers, but it sure does ask all the right questions. What a film!

eerik

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#4 Post by eerik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 pm

This kind of music is not up my particular alley, but everything I've seen on this has made me want to see it more. It just looks fabulous and seductive, from top to bottom.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Natalie Portman seem[ed?] to think that wearing a bikini and being a virgin is a conflict of interest, and Jessica Simpson is vocally insulted by it

There, I tried to make that hyperlink text as interesting as possible. Enjoy.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 pm
This kind of music is not up my particular alley
The music recorded and performed in the film is 1000% beside the point with regard to engaging with its philosophical aims, so no need to fret re: whether it's your chosen genre or whatever

J Wilson

#7 Post by J Wilson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Was interested when I saw Scott Walker composed the score, but the trailer made me want to see this regardless.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:24 pm

This is getting somewhat polarized reviews, as I anticipated, but David Crow of something called *shudder* "Den of Geek" gets it quite right here (major spoilers within)

Reading even bad reviews of this film has reminded me again of just how special it is. If it weren't for the unassailable masterpiece First Reformed doing a similarly nihilistic-with-a-tiny-glimmer-of-hope riff with a more spare and surgically expert filmmaker behind the camera, this would be far and away the best film to come out of this year. Even if no one here ends up agreeing with me, I'm so excited about it.

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am

I think Portman saw the conflict more in the sexual dehumanization by the media (and very well the music industry itself) in general of artists like Simpsons and Britney Spears, while in interviews they would talk about things like Christian values and purity rings.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 pm

I still don't see the problem with the juxtaposition, but this is something that was litigated to death nearly 20 years ago so it's sort of needlessly been re-hashed by Portman, who has always had kind of a puritanical streak. At the end of the day, the way teenage girls, particularly ones who have been thrust into super-stardom, dress, has nothing to do with promotion of sexual promiscuity (or "dehumanization" as you put it) which is a completely different thing despite occasional intersection in sort of a chocolate/peanut butter way, to put it as briefly as possible. Talking about women's clothing choices are implying some inherent promiscuity is a pretty outdated topic in this day and age, and Portman knows better than to rehash it

flyonthewall2983

#11 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I agree, but I'm putting more the impetus on the music industry and the media, whose ultimate goal is promotion for the sake of promotion, lowest-common-denominator and all that. It wasn't really cool of Portman to call out Simpson particularly, she could have been more vague and people still would have got what she would have said.

The puritanical streak her and some other a-list actresses have shown, particularly towards sex workers (if even in an off-handed way as opposed to direct), is something more worthy of investigation now. Ashley Judd was excoriated by several of them on Twitter for this comment.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Hollywood actors may have unforgivingly dehumanizing paths through a narrow career path but if their voice is loud enough for us to hear it they are also high income bracket employees who are compensated handsomely for the hardship(s), and therefore have much less validity commenting on something like sex work, or the way a career-oriented teenager decides to present herself, and so on, than they might think. For more on these topics, please check out the movie Vox Lux, in theaters tomorrow

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

The 4 PM screening at BAM on Saturday, December 15th will have Brady Corbet and Natalie Portman in attendance for a Q&A (along with, more importantly, mfunk9786 and LQ). Tickets are here.

Grand Wazoo

#14 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm
The 4 PM screening at BAM on Saturday, December 15th will have Brady Corbet and Natalie Portman in attendance for a Q&A (along with, more importantly, mfunk9786 and LQ). Tickets are here.
Thanks for the heads up on this! I just got tickets. This is my most anticipated movie this year, in part due to Childhood of a Leader blowing me away when I saw it at the American Film Festival in Wroclaw, Poland at a 10am screening after being up for about 28 hours straight before that. I'm afraid to watch it again because that insane mindset cannot (and should not) be repeated, but I assume at least some of my memories are reliable and it was an impressively audacious debut. I also have a friend with a small role in Vox Lux so I may be extra biased, but Brady Corbet's bombastic filmmaking is genuinely exciting and I hope this lives up to my expectations. Either way, I'm on board with whatever he does for quite a while.