Passages

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
FrauBlucher

Re: Passages

#7601 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Me too. They deserve as much credit as the rest of the UK punk bands.

perkypat

#7602 Post by perkypat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 am

otis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:04 pm
Pete Shelley
Soundtrack to my youth. Absolute legend. RIP Pete.

j99

#7603 Post by j99 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Pete Shelley was also responsible for putting on the Sex Pistols at the now legendary Lesser Free Trade Hall gig in Manchester, as well as releasing one of the first UK independent singles, the seminal Spiral Scratch ep, which is surely one of the best ever single releases. His importance in the punk era cannot be underestimated, and Geoff Travis of Rough Trade cited him as the prime influence for the beginning of his label. While I preferred the Howard Devoto version of Buzzcocks, particularly the bootleg Time’s Up album, which eventually got an official release, they were a great band, especially their first two albums, and their run of singles and B sides, collected on the Going Steady compilation, were superb. He went far too soon.

hearthesilence

#7604 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Their eponymous 2003 album was surprisingly strong too, nearly on par with their first three LP's, but everyone should definitely start with the singles conveniently collected on Singles Going Steady, which is simply one of the great singles collections in all of rock. Or just spring for Product, which is a brilliant three-CD collection - very affordable and I actually prefer the mastering over all other CD issues.