Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Roscoe

Re: Kino

#3076 Post by Roscoe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Timec wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am
Kino will be releasing ten restored Hungarian films:
Variety wrote:Kino Lorber has announced that it has acquired North American rights for ten newly restored classics from the Hungarian National Film Fund- Film Archive.

The titles includes “Mephisto,” directed by István Szabó, which won the Best Foreign Language Film at the 1981 Academy Awards; “Colonel Redl,” directed by Szabó and a 1986 Academy Award nominee; Szabo’s “Confidence,” winner of the Silver Bear for Best Director at the 1980 Berlin International Film Festival and 1981 Academy Award nominee.

The others are “My 20th Century, directed by Ildikó Enyedi; and six films by Miklós Jancsó — “The Red and White,” “The Confrontation,” “Elektra, My Love,” “The Round-Up,” “Winter Wind” and “Red Psalm,”which won the Best Director award at 1972 Cannes Film Festival.
There's a lot of overlap with Second Run here, but I'll be happy to upgrade the Jancsó titles (assuming they're released on BD.)
Great news about MEPHISTO -- one of the most strangely neglected films around, it has fallen off the map for just far too long.

fdm

#3077 Post by fdm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Wasn't "Hanussen" part of a trilogy along with "Mephisto" and "Colonel Redl"? (Just going by faint memory.) Seems to be the neglected title for some reason. (Wiki sez informal trilogy.)

nitin

#3078 Post by nitin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am

Will there be a boxset? Would pre-order that right now!

colinr0380

#3079 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

fdm wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm
Wasn't "Hanussen" part of a trilogy along with "Mephisto" and "Colonel Redl"? (Just going by faint memory.) Seems to be the neglected title for some reason. (Wiki sez informal trilogy.)
Yes, they are often considered a trilogy as all three films star Klaus Maria Brandauer in, as Wikipedia notes, a "series of roles based on historical figures who, as represented in the films, compromised their morals in order to climb the ladder of success within a context of authoritarian political power". Colonel Redl is a little less celebrated partly because Mephisto won the Foreign Language Academy Award (though Colonel Redl won the Jury Prize at Cannes), and perhaps also because it is dealing with a World War I era figure rather than Nazism, but its worth thinking of all three films as loosely thematically connected (I sometimes think of them superficially in the same way as the three historical Aleksandr Sokurov films Moloch, Taurus and The Sun, though of course The Sun has a different actor in the major historical figure role, and those films are dealing more with central figureheads losing their grip on power)

onedimension

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3080 Post by onedimension » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I know they’re not “studio classics”, but would love to hear from the Kino Insider if they have any plans to repackage on blu ray some of their existing sets - The Movies Begin, Edison..

andyli

#3082 Post by andyli » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:47 am

I cannot see it top the excellent Korean CJ Ent. release. Unless of course Kino carry over the commentary tracks and subtitle them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3083 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Kino will release the Lee Marvin/Robert Ryan the Iceman Cometh on Blu-ray in March. This should be interesting, given their DVD was virtually unwatchable and the sound hard to even understand

kekid

#3084 Post by kekid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:48 pm

All American Film Theater DVDs and Blu Rays are issued without subtitles. This is a serious flaw. Given poor sound quality, watching them has been a frustrating experience. I don't see how the planned release of the Iceman Cometh would be easier to understand than the previously released DVD.

whaleallright

#3085 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 am

dupe message
Last edited by whaleallright on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whaleallright

#3086 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 am

I was just looking at that DVD of Iceman Cometh and you're not kidding. It looks like someone soaked the film in piss and dragged it across the floor before scanning it.
onedimension wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm
I know they’re not “studio classics”, but would love to hear from the Kino Insider if they have any plans to repackage on blu ray some of their existing sets - The Movies Begin, Edison..
The sheer variety of material on some of those sets would seem to mitigate against easy HD release—unless someone is systematically scanning the entire Blackhawk collection in HD. And even if that were the case, some of the stuff on Movies Begin seems to be from dated 16mm sources that probably wouldn't hold up to the scrutiny of today's discerning home-video enthusiasts, and to get better sources for much of it Kino would have to make arrangements with umpteen film archives across Europe and the U.S.

I agree though that HD versions of the early-cinema stuff would be wonderful, for teaching purposes among others. The restored Lumière actualities on this set are just jaw-dropping.
Last edited by whaleallright on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspect

#3087 Post by Aspect » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am

I hope KL can release Pinter’s The Homecoming hot on the heels of The Iceman Cometh. I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

solaris72

#3088 Post by solaris72 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 pm

kekid wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:48 pm
All American Film Theater DVDs and Blu Rays are issued without subtitles. This is a serious flaw. Given poor sound quality, watching them has been a frustrating experience. I don't see how the planned release of the Iceman Cometh would be easier to understand than the previously released DVD.
According to Kino's site, both cuts of The Iceman Cometh will have English subs.

Kino Insider

#3089 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Coming March 26th!

The Iceman Cometh (1973) with optional English subtitles

Disc One: New 2K restoration of the complete 239-minute director's cut | Optional English subtitles

Disc Two: New 2K restoration of the 178-minute theatrical version | Interview with Edie Landau | "Ely Landau: In Front of the Camera," a promotional film for the American Film Theatre | Optional English subtitles | Trailer Gallery

kekid

#3090 Post by kekid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:27 pm

I stand corrected. Thank you.

onedimension

#3091 Post by onedimension » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 am

whaleallright wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 am
I was just looking at that DVD of Iceman Cometh and you're not kidding. It looks like someone soaked the film in piss and dragged it across the floor before scanning it.
onedimension wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm
The sheer variety of material on some of those sets would seem to mitigate against easy HD release—unless someone is systematically scanning the entire Blackhawk collection in HD. And even if that were the case, some of the stuff on Movies Begin seems to be from dated 16mm sources that probably wouldn't hold up to the scrutiny of today's discerning home-video enthusiasts, and to get better sources for much of it Kino would have to make arrangements with umpteen film archives across Europe and the U.S.

I agree though that HD versions of the early-cinema stuff would be wonderful, for teaching purposes among others. The restored Lumière actualities on this set are just jaw-dropping.
Thanks for the perspective, I wasn't thinking of the production obstacles. Seems more likely, then, Kino would reimagine the sets (Pioneers of...?) or that a competitor/frienemy will pick up the slack.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3092 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:10 am

The Lumière shorts French release is not only technically wonderful, but it comes with Thierry Frémaux' audio commentary and this is thoroughly entertaining but also very enlightening. The shorts are a window of how were at the time they were shot, and Frémaux doesn't only talk technique but also spends lots of time talking history, society, etc. It's really fascinating stuff, outside of any love of movies. These shorts are moving postcards from early 1900s and they are wonderfully contextualised this way.

kidc

#3093 Post by kidc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:05 pm

Is The Iceman Cometh a good adaptation of the play?

knives

#3094 Post by knives » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Yes.

M Sanderson

#3095 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:29 am

Aspect wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am
I hope KL can release Pinter’s The Homecoming hot on the heels of The Iceman Cometh. I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
Agreed. It’s superb.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3096 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:59 pm

In the "better late than never" file, Kino Lorber is planning a May theatrical release for Ferrara's Pasolini, with home video to follow in the fall.

Fiery Angel

#3097 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Ha, I'd completely forgotten about Pasolini.

Aunt Peg

#3098 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:05 am

Fiery Angel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Ha, I'd completely forgotten about Pasolini.
So had I and I've seen the film. Not one of high points for Ferrara's career. My advice: rent first, don't blind buy.

furbicide

#3099 Post by furbicide » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 am

That’s astonishing! Pasolini first screened theatrically in Italy – not even merely on the festival circuit – in 2014 and seems to have had a UK run a year later. I wonder what could have taken so long to get to the US?

headacheboy

#3100 Post by headacheboy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:04 pm

I see that Kino Lorber is selling the three Blu-Ray set Macunamia (Joaquim Pedro de Andrade) for $17.97 if anyone is interested.