Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2051 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Wishing everyone a happy Memorial Day weekend.

Check the KLSC Facebook and Twitter pages for 2 New Announcements this Saturday and Sunday at 11:00AM.

Both are brand new 4K restorations!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2052 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm
kcota17 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm
For Blackmail, the BFI restoration is for the sound version only? What’s the quality on the silent version like?
Some at Kino thought it looked better, pretty sure the silent version's restoration was also done by the BFI.
I believe it was. I saw it at Film Forum and it did indeed look great.

User avatar
HitchcockLang
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2053 Post by HitchcockLang » Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 pm

Indeed, wasn’t a restoration of the silent Blackmail part of the BFI’s whole Hitchcock 9 push a few years back?

User avatar
dustybooks
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2054 Post by dustybooks » Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm

If the Hitchcock silents Kino is releasing are also the BFI restorations, then that would leave The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue as the only titles in the "Hitchcock 9" project not yet released on disc. Easy Virtue is apparently, even after the restoration, in the poorest condition of all of Hitchcock's surviving films.

User avatar
EddieLarkin
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 am

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2055 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Easy Virtue was released in Spain in 2015. I've no idea what its source was.

User avatar
Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2056 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat May 25, 2019 5:41 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm
and Easy Virtue as the only titles in the "Hitchcock 9" project not yet released on disc.
It's been released on bootlegs of course. Maybe a candidate for the Worst (or at least deceptive) Cover thread?

Image

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2057 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Def my favorite of Hitchcock’s Kindle Erotica Novellas

kekid
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2058 Post by kekid » Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Question for Kino Insider: All the recent American Film Theater titles issued by Kino have English subtitles. They are very helpful. The first few titles (e.g, "Three Sisters") did not have them. I am not sure why they were treated differently, especially since the sound quality on them makes it difficult to understand the dialogue. Is there a plan to re-issue them with subtitles? Thank you.

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2059 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Coming August 20th!

4D Man (1959) with optional English subtitles
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative!
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith
• Audio Commentary by Kris Yeaworth (son of director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.)
• Reflections from The 4D Man - On-camera Interview with Producer Jack H. Harris
• On-camera Interview with Co-star Lee Meriwether
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 85 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
He walks through walls of solid steel and stone… into the 4th dimension! From legendary producer Jack H. Harris and director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., the team behind cult favorites The Blob and Dinosaurus!, comes this sci-fi horror classic starring Robert Lansing (The Grissom Gang), Lee Meriwether (Catwoman/Miss Kitka of Batman: The Movie), Robert Strauss (Stalag 17), James Congdon (The Left Handed Gun) and Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker). Science whiz Dr. Tony Nelson (Congdon) has made an amazing discovery: he has developed a method of stimulating the molecular structure of solid objects so that they can be joined or passed through one another. Stumbling upon this incredible secret is Tony’s older brother, Scott (Lansing), a fellow scientist who decides to take the experiment one step further—and soon finds himself able to pass through doors and walls. But his newfound freedom of movement has unforeseen side effects, for each time the power is used, Scott ages a bit, and only by touching other living beings and draining their energy (and thus, their lives) can he maintain his age. In addition, this incredible force is driving Scott quite mad... and he’s just noticed his beautiful would-be fiancée (Meriwether) expressing an interest in his brother Tony. Filled with eye-popping special effects, 4D Man takes sci-fi to a whole new dimension!

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2060 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm

kekid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 pm
Question for Kino Insider: All the recent American Film Theater titles issued by Kino have English subtitles. They are very helpful. The first few titles (e.g, "Three Sisters") did not have them. I am not sure why they were treated differently, especially since the sound quality on them makes it difficult to understand the dialogue. Is there a plan to re-issue them with subtitles? Thank you.
The first three or four did not include subtitles, the rest should all include them.

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2061 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Coming August 20th!

Dinosaurus! (1960) with optional English subtitles
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative!
• Audio Commentary by Kris Yeaworth (son of director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.)
• Dinosaurus!: A Monstrous Story - Interviews with Producer Jack H. Harris, Co-star Paul Lukather and Film Historians Donald F. Glut and Bill Warren
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 83 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Alive with thrills that started a million years ago! From legendary producer Jack H. Harris and director Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., the team behind sci-fi classics The Blob and 4D Man, comes this cult fantasy-adventure starring Ward Ramsey, Paul Lukather and Kristina Hanson. Building a new harbor off the coast of a Caribbean island, an American engineer (Ramsey) sets off a blast on the ocean floor that uncovers the frozen bodies of a Brontosaurus, a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a Neanderthal Man. The dinosaurs are hauled ashore by the construction crew, who are unaware that the giants are still alive. Struck by lightning during a fierce tropical storm, the monsters awaken and prowl the island jungles! Also restored to life is the caveman (Gregg Martell), an amiable brute who joins the island boy Julio (Alan Roberts) in a series of wacky misadventures. A merry grab-bag of sci-fi, action and comedy, Dinosaurus! features stop-motion dinosaur animation by the legendary Projects Unlimited effects team (The Time Machine, The Outer Limits). Beautifully shot in Scope by the great Stanley Cortez (Since You Went Away, The Night of the Hunter).

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2062 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Coming August 20th!

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Lee Gambin and John Harrison
• Trailers

Color 73 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula is an outrageous low-budget horror-western directed by cult filmmaker William Beaudine (The Ape Man, Voodoo Man). Traveling by stagecoach, Dracula (the great John Carradine) plots to convert Billy the Kid’s (famed stuntman Chuck Courtney) fiancée, Betty Bentley (Melinda Casey), into his vampire bride. When the sinister bloodsucker kidnaps Betty and takes her to an abandoned silver mine, Billy must confront the Count, but soon realizes his six-shooters’ bullets are no match for the undead—and an all-out battle of good vs. evil ensues. Filmmaker Carl K. Hittleman (36 Hours) wrote the screenplay for this wild cult classic, beautifully shot by Lothrop B. Worth (Gog) and featuring Marjorie Bennett (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?) and Harry Carey Jr. (Cherry 2000).

User avatar
HitchcockLang
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2063 Post by HitchcockLang » Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am

dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm
If the Hitchcock silents Kino is releasing are also the BFI restorations, then that would leave The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue as the only titles in the "Hitchcock 9" project not yet released on disc. Easy Virtue is apparently, even after the restoration, in the poorest condition of all of Hitchcock's surviving films.
It blows my mind how neglected The Pleasure Garden remains. It's his debut feature as director and actually not a terrible film. But to my knowledge, there has never been a region 1/A release of it ever, not even in the DVD era, and is one of the few British Hitchcock films that doesn't even show up on all those low-budget grey market box sets. Not sure if it's a lack of interest or lack of materials or if it's just somehow more protected than other early Hitch, but a release of it from Kino (or literally anyone) would be a godsend.

User avatar
dustybooks
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2064 Post by dustybooks » Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 am

HitchcockLang wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am
dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm
If the Hitchcock silents Kino is releasing are also the BFI restorations, then that would leave The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue as the only titles in the "Hitchcock 9" project not yet released on disc. Easy Virtue is apparently, even after the restoration, in the poorest condition of all of Hitchcock's surviving films.
It blows my mind how neglected The Pleasure Garden remains. It's his debut feature as director and actually not a terrible film. But to my knowledge, there has never been a region 1/A release of it ever, not even in the DVD era, and is one of the few British Hitchcock films that doesn't even show up on all those low-budget grey market box sets. Not sure if it's a lack of interest or lack of materials or if it's just somehow more protected than other early Hitch, but a release of it from Kino (or literally anyone) would be a godsend.
ITV has the rights (as with The Lodger and Downhill). I heard last year there was a push to release the BFI restoration on physical media but it was hitting some sort of financial wall.

And I agree, it's a very good film and I actually think a handsomer production than The Lodger.

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2065 Post by Kino Insider » Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 am
HitchcockLang wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am
dustybooks wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm
If the Hitchcock silents Kino is releasing are also the BFI restorations, then that would leave The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue as the only titles in the "Hitchcock 9" project not yet released on disc. Easy Virtue is apparently, even after the restoration, in the poorest condition of all of Hitchcock's surviving films.
It blows my mind how neglected The Pleasure Garden remains. It's his debut feature as director and actually not a terrible film. But to my knowledge, there has never been a region 1/A release of it ever, not even in the DVD era, and is one of the few British Hitchcock films that doesn't even show up on all those low-budget grey market box sets. Not sure if it's a lack of interest or lack of materials or if it's just somehow more protected than other early Hitch, but a release of it from Kino (or literally anyone) would be a godsend.
ITV has the rights (as with The Lodger and Downhill). I heard last year there was a push to release the BFI restoration on physical media but it was hitting some sort of financial wall.

And I agree, it's a very good film and I actually think a handsomer production than The Lodger.
The Lodger is with Disney.

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2066 Post by Kino Insider » Fri May 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Sting II (1983) Starring Jackie Gleason, Teri Garr, Mac Davis, Oliver Reed and Karl Malden - Shot by Bill Butler (Jaws) - Music by Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry) - Written by David S. Ward (The Sting) - Directed by Jeremy Kagan (The Chosen).

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2067 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:37 pm

9/3 Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) | The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) | The Man in the White Suit (1951) 9/10 Reap the Wild Wind (1942) | The Spoilers (1942) | Pittsburgh (1942) | Mirage (1965) | Blindfold (1965) 9/17 Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) | Support Your Local Gunfighter (1970) | The Bounty Man (1972 TV movie) DVD only | The Trackers (1971 TV movie) DVD only | Daughters of Joshua Gabe (1972 TV movie) DVD only 9/24 Not Wanted (1940) | Never Fear (1950) | The Hitch-Hiker (1953) | The Bigamist (1953) | Ida Lupino: Filmmaker Collection

User avatar
tehthomas
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2068 Post by tehthomas » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm wondering what the status of the "Charley Varrick" release is - still slated for 2019 I hope.

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2069 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:07 pm

tehthomas wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:01 pm
I'm wondering what the status of the "Charley Varrick" release is - still slated for 2019 I hope.
Insider just said on the blu forum that it's coming out in November.

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2070 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 pm

June Swoon Non KLSC Sale!
Starts today and ends on June 16th!
Over 280 Blu-rays!
Free USA Shipping - $50 or more orders!


https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/junesale19

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2071 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I can highly recommend the two early Andrei Zvyagintsev films included in this sale, especially The Banishment, which may be the best by one of the world's best working filmmakers

mteller
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:23 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2072 Post by mteller » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Posted at HTF but for some reason not here:
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray August 20th from Kino Classics in a new 4K restoration!

Last Year at Marienbad (1961)
Directed by Alain Resnais
Screenplay by Alain Robbe-Grillet
Starring Delphine Seyrig, Giorgio Albertazzi, Sacha Pitoëff

Winner of the Golden Lion at the 1961 Venice Film Fesitval, Last Year at Marienbad (1961) is a hypnotically beautiful puzzle box of a film, and one of the most influential in history. Alain Resnais’ sensuous tracking shots and Delphine Seyrig’s iconic Chanel gowns have become part of the cinematic lexicon, and can now be seen in a gorgeous 4K restoration from StudioCanal.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Tim Lucas
*Booklet essay by Vanity Fair film critic K. Austin Collins
*Interview with filmmaker Volker Schlöndorff (Blu-ray only)
*Last Year at Marienbad A to Z, a visual essay by James Quandt (programmer for the TIFF Cinematheque)
*Memories of Last Year at Marienbad (2010), a making-of doc using Super-8 footage shot on set by François Spira
*Toute la mémoire du monde (1957), a short film by Alain Resnais
*Original cover artwork by Sam Smith

Image

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2073 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Wasn’t going to bother with this one but I’m very interested in the Quandt piece

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2074 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 pm
June Swoon Non KLSC Sale!
Starts today and ends on June 16th!
Over 280 Blu-rays!
Free USA Shipping - $50 or more orders!


https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/junesale19
Great price for Tu dors Nicole

User avatar
Kino Insider
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2075 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm
I can highly recommend the two early Andrei Zvyagintsev films included in this sale, especially The Banishment, which may be the best by one of the world's best working filmmakers
Couldn't agree with you more.

Post Reply