Cohen Film Collection

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
HitchcockLang

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#601 Post by HitchcockLang » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Just watched Sherlock Jr. from the Cohen Keaton vol. 2. It looked absolutely marvelous and the new orchestral score by Timothy Brock was lovely and engaging and was also subtler and avoiding some of the cute gimmicks of the Mont Alto score from the Kino.

I also checked out the "new" supplements, hoping Cohen had heard the cry for more after the barebones volume 1. Alas, both are about 4 minute long excerpts of talking heads from the Bogdanovich film, edited in such a way that some of the clips are just soundbites without enough context to make them meaningful, and ending with an ad for the Cohen blu-ray of that film. They're more glorified publicity ads for the documentary than meaningful supplements for the films, so I'd say the Kinos are still worth hanging onto for their fairly loaded supplements, but the Cohens are worth grabbing for the restorations and scores.

dustybooks

#602 Post by dustybooks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah, I didn't even look at the supplements because from the back cover copy I assumed it was more of the same, but I was totally delighted by Sherlock Jr. again and can't wait to revisit The Navigator tonight. I'm also glad that Seven Chances is next because it's my favorite. I actually have never seen Battling Butler and sort of forgot it existed; in fact Our Hospitality, which I'm sure will anchor Cohen's Vol. 4, is the only remaining Keaton feature I've seen in the presumptive lineup. (I've seen all the shorts but my knowledge of the features kind of ends with the heavy hitters.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#603 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Numerous previously OOP Cohen titles are popping back up in stock at Amazon-- I think there's been a massive repressing of their back catalog

HitchcockLang

#604 Post by HitchcockLang » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Awesome and thanks for the heads up domino. I’ve been kicking myself for missing that Jamaica Inn release but it looks to be one of the ones coming back in stock.