Czech DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Czech DVDs

#726 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:49 pm

eerik wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am
tenia wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:54 am
L.A. wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 am
The Cremator BD coming this month.
This is out by Second Run in the UK since Dec 17, based on the same restoration, though.
But the Czech release is based on a new 4K restoration which premiered earlier this year, no?
My friend in the Czech Republic informed that this is indeed 4K.

petoluk
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Czech DVDs

#727 Post by petoluk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:08 pm

furbicide wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 pm
Is there a link for that Švankmajer box set? Any suggestion it will become available beyond the Indiegogo campaign?
Available now from the Švankmajer website; tech. specs / screenshots from the discs [didn't do Alice]:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Edit: The above are links to the comparisons. :wink:
Last edited by petoluk on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

petoluk
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Czech DVDs

#728 Post by petoluk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:16 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:49 pm
eerik wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:21 am
tenia wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:54 am
This is out by Second Run in the UK since Dec 17, based on the same restoration, though.
But the Czech release is based on a new 4K restoration which premiered earlier this year, no?
My friend in the Czech Republic informed that this is indeed 4K.
Yep, it's the new 4K resto that premièred at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival this July - the older master that SR got [which also aired on Czech TV] was not restored, just newly scanned...
Last edited by petoluk on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Czech DVDs

#729 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:24 pm

petoluk wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:08 pm
furbicide wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 pm
Is there a link for that Švankmajer box set? Any suggestion it will become available beyond the Indiegogo campaign?
Available now from the Švankmajer website
Kind of a steep price. I contributed $150 to the Indiegogo project in exchange for one

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: Czech DVDs

#730 Post by furbicide » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Yep. No way I'm going to be able to afford that, sadly! :( Thanks for the link though!

petoluk
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Czech DVDs

#731 Post by petoluk » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:00 pm

The 2019 resto of The Cremator:

Image

Completely barebones, though... :(

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: Czech DVDs

#732 Post by furbicide » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Back on Svankmajer, I noticed that each of the films in the set is available by itself (on DVD only) for €12 each, which isn't too bad (unfortunately, the postage to anywhere outside of Europe is a whopping €47, to which I can only say ... lol, no thanks). Still, I'd be interested in how the DVD of Faust stacks up, given that it's only otherwise been available in the old, interlaced English-dub-only Kino release (most of his other films have had decent releases elsewhere). Has anyone else checked this out, or at least know whether it's comparable to the transfers in the new Blu-ray set?

https://svankmajerjan.com/z467-lekce-faust/?kosik=1

petoluk
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:31 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Czech DVDs

#733 Post by petoluk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:44 am

furbicide wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 pm
Back on Svankmajer, I noticed that each of the films in the set is available by itself (on DVD only) for €12 each, which isn't too bad (unfortunately, the postage to anywhere outside of Europe is a whopping €47, to which I can only say ... lol, no thanks). Still, I'd be interested in how the DVD of Faust stacks up, given that it's only otherwise been available in the old, interlaced English-dub-only Kino release (most of his other films have had decent releases elsewhere). Has anyone else checked this out, or at least know whether it's comparable to the transfers in the new Blu-ray set?

https://svankmajerjan.com/z467-lekce-faust/?kosik=1
The DVD is included in my comparison - just click the Faust cover / link a couple of posts back...

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: Czech DVDs

#734 Post by furbicide » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 am

Thanks petoluk – sorry I missed that! Looks so good.

Post Reply