Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1826 Post by Drucker » Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

If you're looking for something basic, David Mackenzie always seemed to indicate that you could safely get a Panasonic and that it shouldn't have undefeatable noise reduction. Can't recommend a specific model, unfortunately.

knives

#1827 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Yeah, just basic for. I might want to future with UHD if can play PAL.

knives

#1828 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Also would appreciate it having 3D capabilities for Godard.

The Pachyderminator

#1829 Post by The Pachyderminator » Sun May 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Do they even make 3D-capable TVs anymore?

fdm

#1830 Post by fdm » Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

Projectors usually still have 3D playback capabilities.

For PAL you may want to look at region free players.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1831 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 pm

My Sony all-region player (BDP something) has been very dependable for years and years, and only cost around 200$.

knives

#1832 Post by knives » Sun May 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks all. Decided on a Panasonic per the above rec with some winnowing from some tech sites.

DeprongMori

#1833 Post by DeprongMori » Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am

Looking for a solution to this one: My Region B BFI “El Sur” will not play on my LG player booted into Region B. It reports that the disc is not compatible with the Region of the player. (This is my first time playing this disc.)

All other Region B discs tested have worked fine. When this occurred once before with a different disc, the problem was solved by unplugging the player to purge the timeline that kept the disc restarting on the error. This solution is not successful here, no matter how many tries or how long the power-down.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Ended up doing a factory reset in the player’s “Settings”, which cleared the problem. Surprised it took more than a simple power-down-and-wait.
Last edited by DeprongMori on Mon May 18, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdm

#1834 Post by fdm » Mon May 18, 2020 1:49 pm

If your player has a resume playback type of feature enabled, try turning that off. Also if it has such a capability, try purging its memory.

Minkin

#1835 Post by Minkin » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 pm
I found this free player that seems to work (and allow screen shots too):

https://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/

(It has a few mildly annoying quirks -- but the price is right)
I used to have a torrented copy of PowerDVD on my old laptop, but I can't move it over to my new computer. So, I'm now in the market for Blu-ray playback software. I do have an external blu-ray drive.

I'm wondering if anybody else has tried using Leawo? I can't really find any reviews of it online, which raises quite a few red flags. You'd think the only working free blu-ray playback software would at least merit a techcrunch article. Otherwise I'm going to try and trackdown a discounted version of PowerDVD.

And the VLC blu-ray work-around didn't work for me.

DeprongMori

#1836 Post by DeprongMori » Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 pm

The Leawo player software isn’t region-free, and I don’t generally play Blu-rays on my computer, but it has been working great when I need to do so. And it being free, the price is right.

fdm

#1837 Post by fdm » Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Regarding VLC (on a Mac), after a little bit of troubleshooting, it just seems to be really limited about which blu-rays will actually play with it. I did find one after a few misfires, the Twilight Time Miss Sadie Thompson. (I can't recall what the others were that I did get to work last month when I first got VLC to play actual blu-rays. I apparently lucked out as whatever it/they were, it/they all worked fine). Some of the others seem to want to work, but they never finish starting up (Manhattan, Uncut Gems) and actually play; others just error out. Doesn't really seem worth bothering with.

Pretty much every blu-ray I tried with MacGo's Blu-ray Player and/or Blu-ray Player Pro seemed to work though. The Pro version however seems to pay attention to Region setting, and seems to be limited to 5 changes... but the basic version doesn't seem to mind (even Satantango plays). The Pro version mimics playing the actual disc like if you played it on a blu-ray player; the regular version you can just have it play the movie or blindly pick other content one at a time by chapter. (VLC was a bit better than Pro as you could actually click on the playback screen to pick from the menus, while with Pro you need to use a pop-up that behaves like a remote to control the disc playback.)