342-348 Six Moral Tales

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: 342-348 Six Moral Tales

#276 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:03 am

I love how Gary first says "it appears to be from the same 2006 director-approved masters" only or then explain the color movies look like the more recent Potemkine masters.
Which is it ?

djproject

#277 Post by djproject » Fri May 01, 2020 7:31 am

djproject wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:50 pm
I can imagine a future Blu-ray configuration will be three discs with two of the tales each. Most, if not all, of the supplements will be on the first disc given the short duration of the first two tales. There is also no reason why the book should not be a part of the package, unless they allow access for a digital copy.

Just my take on it given the precedent for these things. Of course what will be missing is the individual packages for each of the tales. But I'm sure there will be a clever design configuration for it.
I called it! :D

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#278 Post by tenia » Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 am

Actually, the extras split isn't following your (better) suggestion to have "Most, if not all, of the supplements will be on the first disc given the short duration of the first two tales.". Criterion simply put them with the movie they were sharing a DVD with in the DVD set originally.

swo17

#279 Post by swo17 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 am

If you really wanted to impress us you'd've called the typo too

djproject

#280 Post by djproject » Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 am
Actually, the extras split isn't following your (better) suggestion to have "Most, if not all, of the supplements will be on the first disc given the short duration of the first two tales.". Criterion simply put them with the movie they were sharing a DVD with in the DVD set originally.
Also remember that the original DVDs were single layer and none of the films were longer than two hours.
swo17 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 am
If you really wanted to impress us you'd've called the typo too
Meh. =]

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#281 Post by tenia » Mon May 04, 2020 4:15 am

djproject wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:31 pm
Also remember that the original DVDs were single layer
Actually, only Suzanne's Career was single-layer. Bakery Girl was 6.81 GB, Maud 7.68 GB, La collectionneuse 7.56 GB, Claire's Knee 7.41 GB and Love in the Afternoon 7.35 GB.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#282 Post by tenia » Sun May 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Chris, could you C+P the technical details about the restorations ? I'd like to check which lab did those. I already have the Potemkine and Arrow sets.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#283 Post by cdnchris » Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 pm

I used a text scanner on my phone, so I apologize for any gibberish:
ABOUT THE TRANSFERS
The Bakery Girl of of Monceau Monceau , Suzanne ' s Career , My Night of Moud ' s , la collectionneuse , Claire ' s
Knee , and and Love in in the Afternoon are presented in their original aspect ratio of 1 . 37:1 . On wides
creen televisions , black bars will appear on the left and right of the image to maintain the proper
screen format. The restoration of all six films was undertaken by Les Films du losange , with the support of of the the Centre Centre national du cinéma et de l ' image animée ( CNC ) .
THE BAKERY GIRL OF MONCEAU element : 16 mm original camera negative Scanner : ARRISCAN . Transfer resolution : 2K .
Sound element : 35 mm optical track . Picture - restoration facility : Éclair , Vanves , France . Sound
restoration facility : L . E . Diapason , Paris
SUZANNE ' S CAREER
Picture element : 16 mm original camera negative Scanner : ARRISCAN . Transfer resolution : 2K -
Sound element : 35 mm magnetic track . Picture restoration facility : Éclair , Vanves , France . Sound
restoration facility : L . E . Diapason , Paris
MY NIGHT AT MAUD ' S
Picture element : 35 mm interpositive Scanner : ARRISCAN . Transfer resolution : 3K . Sound el
ment : Optical soundtrack positive . Picture - restoration facility : Lumières Numériques , Lyon , France
Sound - restoration facility : L . E . Diapason , Paris
LA COLLECTIONNEUSE
Picture element : 35 mm original camera negative Scanner : Scanity • Transfer resolution : 2K .
ound element : 35 mm magnetic track Restoration facility : Digimage Classics / Hivenly ,
Joinville le Pont , France
CLAIRE ' S KNEE
Picture element
nent : 35 mm original camera negative Scanner : Scanity . Transfer resolution : 2K
Sound Joinville element le Pont , : France 35 mm mag
ent : 35 mm magnetic track • Restoration facility : Digimage Classics / Hivenly
LOVE
IN THE AFTERNOON
Picture
element
negative Scanner : Scanity . Transfer resolution : 2K
Sound element : : 35 35 mm mm
Joinville le Pont 5 mm magnetic mo track • Restoration facility : Digimage Class
, France
c mastering : Pixelogic , Los Angeles

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#284 Post by tenia » Mon May 11, 2020 4:55 am

It's decipherable enough, thanks Chris !

therewillbeblus

#285 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 am

Revisiting Claire's Knee, it took me half the film to realize that Jean-Claude Brialy was playing Jerome, which I guess is in part due to the beard... but he really resigns his natural charm to evaporate into such a vapid character. I liked the film a lot more this round, and Molly Haskell's essay really helped, especially in how she reinforces (in a much more astute analysis) what I've long tried to argue about the authentic sides of often-negated MPDG tropes. Specifically how the presence of another person (here, in heterosexual relationships, a member of the opposite sex) can and does prompt change through their existence and how we react to that information in beauty, personality, what is said and done and what is withheld, in perspective and actuality. Brialy's blank canvas of a person helps turn the tables where he becomes our vessel of desired voyeurism and conventional forced morality, and the women aren't being empowered by a male gaze, but are naturally left as powered, left alone to operate independently of our projections, which we must sit with in isolation.

While "we" could be argued to be limited to heterosexual male viewers, I think the concepts at hand extend to all people, regardless of sex or sexuality. After all, who doesn't have moral codes of restraint competing with their ids? To go deeper, who is exempt from the process of higher cognitive functions wrestling with sexual and emotional yearning, leaving us confused and ultimately alone in that experience? I love how Rohmer doesn't really let his characters 'connect' in the ways our expectations crave, recognizing an ethereal magic surrounding inherently alienated existences. Intellectualization cannot compete with beauty, in all its various connotations, but instead it's part of that beauty even when it acts as a thorn. Rohmer's vision of a good life is one inclusive of fallibility, unawareness, and pain -because we all operate with imperfections, ignorance, and struggle to overcome hardships- and if all of that is part of life, he can accept it for us through his objectivity, until we're ready to ourselves. Maybe that's why I feel so safe and comfortable in his films that demand uncomfortable introspection. It's certainly the best way I can describe his stance, and why I find him to be inspirational to Hong Sangsoo's own process of assessing personal and universal complex experiences through art.

I don't know much, but I do know that touching Claire's knee is not a form of interpersonal connection, though it's not wholly shallow either. One could say it's a spiritual experience that exists solipsistically, signifying more than just the drummed-up palpable ideas while operating with a longing that connects one's internal parts in ways Brialy (and by extension-we) are unable to fully comprehend. Perhaps because they transcend 'morality,' laughably conceived as a conclusive concept when it's only an ingredient in our anthropological soup.