BFI: 32 Ozu Films

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

hearthesilence

Re: BFI: 32 Ozu Films

#876 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 am

Either a better scan or a better restoration, if that's not too broad. It's like they created a better film element. (If memory serves, the OCN is long gone.)
L.A. wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:32 pm
DVD Compare reviews the new release of Tokyo Story.
Thanks for this! The inclusion of The Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family (this time in HD - last time was DVD-only) seals the deal. I'm definitely getting this.

Cash Flagg

#877 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 am
The inclusion of The Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family (this time in HD - last time was DVD-only)
Though still an upscale.

hearthesilence

#878 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 am
hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 am
The inclusion of The Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family (this time in HD - last time was DVD-only)
Though still an upscale.
Ugh, missed that detail. Regardless, it's an excellent film, so in terms of content (if not presentation), it's a pretty great bonus.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#879 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Toda Family was Ozu's homage to Make Way For Tomorrow -- as opposed to Tokyo Story being a sort of rejoinder. I find Toda Family too harsh and judgmental (just like its inspiration).

The OCN of Tokyo Story burned up in a lab fire (possibly) even before the film's official premiere. Luckily prints had already been made.

hearthesilence

#880 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:55 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm
The OCN of Tokyo Story burned up in a lab fire (possibly) even before the film's official premiere. Luckily prints had already been made.
That's crazy!
Toda Family was Ozu's homage to Make Way For Tomorrow...I find Toda Family too harsh and judgmental (just like its inspiration).
Hah, and this too! Well, count me as one of many who consider Make Way For Tomorrow a masterpiece.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#881 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:55 pm
Well, count me as one of many who consider Make Way For Tomorrow a masterpiece.
That's certainly the "majority report". ;-)

I expected to like it -- but hated it (rather like Bong's Parasite). I gave it a second try, no upgrade of my opinion. I've decided that I'm (mostly) allergic to McCarey.

hearthesilence

#882 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 pm
I expected to like it -- but hated it (rather like Bong's Parasite). I gave it a second try, no upgrade of my opinion. I've decided that I'm (mostly) allergic to McCarey.
If you don't like McCarey, it's probably a lost cause. What I like about it isn't atypical of McCarey, it's really a pure and mature expression of what he values (or what he likes to see) in people, and how heartbreaking it is when people don't or can't live up to those ideals.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#883 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 pm

McCarey's rigid conservative Catholic outlook (speaking as a non-conservative Catholic) rubs me very much the wrong way.

hearthesilence

#884 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 pm
McCarey's rigid conservative Catholic outlook (speaking as a non-conservative Catholic) rubs me very much the wrong way.
Got it. I'm neither a conservative or Catholic myself, but I suppose this would be a discussion that's much greater than the film itself. I guess the short version would be that his best works strike me as being universal while his worst (like the uglier aspects of My Son John) fail to transcend the rigid limits of his worldview.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#885 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:13 pm

At a certain point, my personal views (both aesthetic and general) make certain films (and their directors) unpalatable to me. Since I am purely an amateur, I don't even feel guilty about being "biased". ;-)

In any event, it is Toda Family's McCareyishness that make it one of the rare Ozu films I really don't like. (Ozu himself supposedly never watched MWFT, but his co-scriptwriters -- for both Toda Family and Tokyo Story -- had seen it)

dustybooks

#886 Post by dustybooks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

I just noticed that the MOC Floating Weeds is out of print. I see that there was a restoration mentioned in this thread a couple of pages back. Have there been any rumors of a new release by BFI (or Criterion)?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#887 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am

The movie has been scanned at 4k and restored in 2k like the other Shochiku color movies. It toured theatrically in France last year and Carlotta will release it on BD this november. I don't know however about any upgrade plan in the US or the UK.