Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dwk

Re: Criterion OOP

#326 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:34 pm

The Confession Blu-ray is in-stock at Barnes and Noble's website and is scheduled to be back in-stock at Amazon on October 27th. It is still listed as OOP at Criterion's site, so I assume that this might be old stock. In any event, if you are looking for it, it is available again.

Luke M

#327 Post by Luke M » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 pm

Out of stock at B&N, placed an Amazon order but not holding my breath.

jedgeco

#328 Post by jedgeco » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:50 am

dwk wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:34 pm
The Confession Blu-ray is in-stock at Barnes and Noble's website and is scheduled to be back in-stock at Amazon on October 27th. It is still listed as OOP at Criterion's site, so I assume that this might be old stock. In any event, if you are looking for it, it is available again.
Mine just shipped from Amazon.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#329 Post by barryconvex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 am

I just ordered copies of Bob Le Flambeur and Le Doulos on blu. Of course these were originally issued by Criterion and went out of print but how did they come to be licensed to Kino? Was Criterion not interested in reacquiring the rights or were they barred from doing so for some reason?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#330 Post by swo17 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:20 am

Kino presumably outbid them

Noiradelic

#331 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 am

Roughly 43 Criterion titles licensed from StudioCanal went OOP. Kino appears to have been aggressive in bidding for them, but Criterion is rumored to be rereleasing several -- Criterion and Kino have vastly different production rates.

FrauBlucher

#332 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 am

It seems like Criterion went after very selective titles. Titles that were in their boxsets or titles that they already released on bluray. And few that weren’t. They are in no rush to reintroduce them, though.

Barryconvex, if you go to the Criterion and Studio Canal thread you’ll see updates to the OOP titles that are being reintroduced based on various rumors and confirmations

dwk

#333 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 am

I think a big reason Kino got so many of the former Criterion titles is they got to StudioCanal first. And, since these title sat unreleased for a decade because Lionsgate sucks, StudioCanal may have wanted them released quickly. Something that obviously wouldn't happen with Criterion's 5 to 6 titles a month, but would with Kino's 5 to 6 titles a week.

FrauBlucher

#334 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:09 am

I’m not so sure about that. Criterion wouldn’t have ended up with their returning titles. I think SC went to CC and said Kino wants to license a bunch of our titles, and gave CC the opportunity to cherry pick. But it’s all speculation.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#335 Post by barryconvex » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:35 am

Thank you all for the responses. It seems strange that Criterion would let those two Melvilles go if they had any say in it. Not to mention Alphaville and Kind Hearts & Coronets. But since I'm not privy to CC sales figures I have no basis for thinking they should've reacquired those titles. If the numbers didn't work, they didn't work.

Noiradelic

#336 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:16 am

They might've let themselves get outbid on those two Melvilles because they acquired Army of Shadows and Le cercle rouge. Might've gotten outbid on Alphaville but still got Contempt. I was surprised about Alphaville because I always was under the impression it was one of Godard's most popular films due to the sci-fi and hardboiled detective elements -- maybe I was mistaken. But if StudioCanal had ~40 titles up for licensing and Criterion was cherry-picking because of all the films out there available to license these days, they wouldn't have gotten them all.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#337 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Is The Royal Tenenbaums out of print? It's unavailable on Amazon, Criterion's site, and Barnes & Noble.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#338 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

I imagine it’s a perennial best seller and the big sale just ended on two of those three sites. Amazon and BN by default don’t let you buy out of stock DVDs/Blus, so it being unavailable means nothing

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#339 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm

It's in "Backorder" status on DeepDiscount, sold out on BestBuy.com, out of stock on Walmart.com, and new copies (that aren't the UK printing) are not to be found on eBay. Really can't find it anywhere I think to look - don't need to buy it at this moment so if it's in stock on some obscure bookstore's website, I'm all set - just seems very much like the marker of something that's been between printings for longer than usual (best case scenario) or is out of print (worst case scenario, of course).

Also worth noting that the same scarcity does not apply to the other Disney/Touchstone Anderson films

dwk

#340 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:11 pm

I recall Dr. Strangelove being out of stock because it was in between pressings for a long time (I want to say from late 2018 to after this summer's B&N sale) and I think this was down to fact that there is only one pressing plant for North American discs. I would assume that is the case with The Royal Tenenbaums, a re-pressing will happen when it happens.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#341 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm

I've been having a similar issue trying to locate a Blu-ray of Medium Cool. It's seemingly unavailable anywhere.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#342 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:24 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm
I've been having a similar issue trying to locate a Blu-ray of Medium Cool. It's seemingly unavailable anywhere.
It's on Criterion's site!

DeprongMori

#343 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Not sure whether this has been mentioned earlier, but I didn’t see it listed in the first post: Carl Theodor Dreyer boxset (including Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and Carl Th. Dreyer: My Metier) seems to be OOP now.

As evidenced by the BFI Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection, there have been 2K HD scans of all these films (and more) since at least 2015.

ianthemovie

#344 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:56 pm

It's been OOP for several years now. I sold my copy for $90 on eBay back in 2018 :D

yoloswegmaster

#345 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm

According to the Criterion website, the 'Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro' blu-ray set is now officially OOP.

tachyonEvan

#346 Post by tachyonEvan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm sad I never picked that up. Always expected it would go OOP, but it's been unavailable anywhere all year so I figured this was coming.

Minkin

#347 Post by Minkin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm
According to the Criterion website, the 'Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro' blu-ray set is now officially OOP.
tachyonEvan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:34 pm
I'm sad I never picked that up. Always expected it would go OOP, but it's been unavailable anywhere all year so I figured this was coming.
Criterion at least used to sell the packaging for this for a separate fee - if you emailed them. Not sure if its still available, but might be worth looking into for those who missed out.

Yaanu

#348 Post by Yaanu » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:06 pm

Minkin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Criterion at least used to sell the packaging for this for a separate fee - if you emailed them. Not sure if its still available, but might be worth looking into for those who missed out.
This seems like the perfect excuse to share part of an email:
Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear that you're missing some of the contents of your THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL purchase.

We normally offer a replacement packaging program where various packaging elements are available at $5/piece or more, depending on the edition component. . However, our team is working remotely at this time and our replacement packaging program is currently on hold.

If you're still interested, please follow up with us later this year for an update on when this program is being resumed.
So yeah, it doesn't hurt to check in with them in the event that they DO have the packaging available, but you won't actually be able to get it.

fdm

#349 Post by fdm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 pm

Wonder how that's gonna work out with their flash sale and my tendency to return things to them if their condition is not to my liking, when neither Mulvaney nor anyone else for that matter is going to be home to receive them. (Assuming I'm still alive and well by then.)

danieltiger

#350 Post by danieltiger » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:25 pm

All the Fellini films that were out of print are back in the new box set, so we can remove them from the pinned post :D