Essential Fellini

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Essential Fellini

#76 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Il bidone has a Blu-Ray from MOC, and another UK label put out La strada

Roscoe

#77 Post by Roscoe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Will the new 8 1/2 in this box be just a repackaging of the old Blu-Ray, or will it contain that new 4K restoration (TCM has run it a few times and it is spectacular)? As it is, CABIRIA, STRADA, VITELLONI and JULIET, and SHIP and INTERVISTA upgraded too, make this a no-brainer for me. Alas, times being what they are, it may be a rather delayed no-brainer.

ellipsis7

#78 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:18 pm
Il bidone has a Blu-Ray from MOC, and another UK label put out La strada
UK Studio Canal restoration of LA STRADA was pretty crap...

As I said, this is is a pretty much straight run of early to mid period Fellini - VARIETY LIGHTS to AMARCORD - with only the later period much more sporadic...
Last edited by ellipsis7 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 pm

I’m just correcting “Blu-Ray debut” claims. And I think you’re thinking of Cabiria?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#80 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Il Bidone not a blu-ray debut, it's been out with MOC for years.

criterionoop

#81 Post by criterionoop » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:23 pm

When it says "Blu-Ray Debut," it means "North American Blu-Ray Debut."

Roger Ryan

#82 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:20 pm
Will the new 8 1/2 in this box be just a repackaging of the old Blu-Ray, or will it contain that new 4K restoration...
I feel this must be one of the films getting a new 4K restoration as the old Blu-ray, while decent, is dated. Do we know which three features are not receiving new 4K transfers? My guess is La Dolce Vita, Satyricon, and Roma.

ellipsis7

#83 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Basically these are all brand new restorations funded by the Italian government through Istituto Luce, Cinecitta, Cineteca Nazionale, Cineteca di Bologna Cinema Ritrovato ecc. as part of the Fellini 100 centenary celebrations...

The theatrical manifestation of these programmes has been curtailed everywhere - I'm guessing this box is a a limited edition and a rare & unique opportunity in the circumstances, so not to be missed...

Roger Ryan

#84 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:37 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Basically these are all brand new restorations funded by the Italian government through Istituto Luce, Cinecitta, Cineteca Nazionale, Cineteca di Bologna Cinema Ritrovato ecc. as part of the Fellini 100 centenary celebrations...
And yet Criterion stipulates that only 11 of the 14 features are newly-restored in 4K.

ellipsis7

#85 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:37 pm
ellipsis7 wrote:
And yet Criterion stipulates that only 11 of the 14 features are newly-restored in 4K.
Where do they say that?
Alongside new restorations of the theatrical features, the set also includes short and full-length documentaries about Fellini’s life and work, archival interviews with his friends and collaborators, commentaries on six of the films, video essays, the director’s 1968 short Toby Dammit, and much more.

Calvin

#86 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm
Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:37 pm
ellipsis7 wrote:
Where do they say that?
In the features list, it states "New 4K restorations of 11 theatrical features, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks for all films"

I'd bet on 8 1/2 and Amarcord being upgrades, with Satyricon, Roma and La Dolce Vita using the existing discs - which would account for 11/14. La Dolce Vita and Satyricon already use 4K restorations anyhow.

ellipsis7

#87 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 pm

OK - the features list look pretty impressive...

What A Disgrace

#88 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Which six films have the commentaries? La Strada, 8 1/2, Satyricon, Amarcord, Roma, and...?

jwd5275

#89 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:39 pm
jwd5275 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:32 pm
ellipsis7 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm
By my calculation the only Fellini feature to remain on DVD only release is now GINGER AND FRED...
Doesn't WB have this? It's the only one I can't figure out the rights issue preventing inclusion.
They do. Their DVD appears OOP but it's available digitally. I'm surprised it's not included, presumably Warner wouldn't play ball with a mixed-studio box set but if Criterion ever release it as a standalone it'll have the distinction of being Criterion's one and only inessential Fellini.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they were fine with The Before Trilogy so who knows the reason for its absence
Is there a recent restoration out there?
(if not, could that be a possible reason for the omission..?)
Last edited by jwd5275 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoloswegmaster

#90 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Is the KL release of Casanova going to use the 4K restoration?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#91 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:48 pm
Columbus is incredible. I wish he'd devote more of his time to a film career outside of these essays, but you gotta pay the bills somehow.
He's only done two essays since Columbus came out, both of them for Criterion (Once There Was Everything for the website and Nothing at Stake for their Roma release). Safe to assume he's focused on his career as a feature filmmaker at this point.

Calvin

#92 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:08 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Is there a recent restoration out there?
All of Fellini's features were advertised as screening from 4K restorations at the BFI Southbank earlier this year, with the exception of Variety Lights which wasn't ready in time.

Dylan

#93 Post by Dylan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Has the longer version of Marcello Mastroianni: I Remember ever been released in the US?
The Fox Lorber DVD of Marcello Mastroianni: I Remember ran 199 minutes. The "Essential Fellini" version apparently runs 193 minutes. Unless the running time on either the Criterion or the Fox Lorber is a typo, we're actually getting a slightly shorter cut. I saw this documentary when I first started getting into Fellini and Mastroianni in high school, and I remember it being quite good. It's also notable as being the last film shot by Giuseppe Rotunno (blessedly still with us at 97), who was the cinematographer on eight Fellini films.

Fellini is my favorite director and this looks like an absolutely astonishing set.
Last edited by Dylan on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Calvin

#94 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 pm

Thinking about it, City of Women is another strange absence. It looks to be out of print in both the US (Cohen) and the UK (MoC), and even if the Cohen release was still in print they very recently worked together on the Varda set for Faces Places.

Big Ben

#95 Post by Big Ben » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:33 pm

This is a must get for me as I don't own anything by Fellini on disc. And this looks, well, essential. How many here own some of these discs and will be double dipping I wonder?

dustybooks

#96 Post by dustybooks » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:54 pm

I’m not a massive Fellini fan but I love Nights of Cabiria and I Vitelloni and at least like most of the others I’ve seen (there are several in the set that I haven’t) so I’m actually very much in the market for this. I really like the concept of these immersive career-summation sets Criterion’s been doing.

Ribs

#97 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm

As far as I can see, the MoC City of Women hasn’t been so much as listed on eBay at any point in the past several months that the sold listings search goes back. Must not have been a very good seller if it turns around that infrequently.

TMDaines

#98 Post by TMDaines » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:32 am

Ribs wrote:As far as I can see, the MoC City of Women hasn’t been so much as listed on eBay at any point in the past several months that the sold listings search goes back. Must not have been a very good seller if it turns around that infrequently.
I think there’s a few gaps in your logic there. What would anyone necessarily be selling it for?

MichaelB

#99 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:10 am

Big Ben wrote:This is a must get for me as I don't own anything by Fellini on disc. And this looks, well, essential. How many here own some of these discs and will be double dipping I wonder?
More by luck than planning, I own hardly any of the titles in this set already - thanks to Arrow and MoC, the Fellinis I have on Blu-ray are I Clowns, Casanova, Orchestra Rehearsal, City of Women and The Voice of the Moon. I’ve got La dolce vita and 8 1/2 on DVDs that are older than my kids (and one of them can vote as of next year), so those upgrades will be completely painless.

black&huge

#100 Post by black&huge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:23 am

I'm okay with what is missing. I am mostly bummed Casanova isn't included but the blow was softened when I responded about the news that KL was releasing it about a month or two ago when these forums mentioned it. City of Women would have been nice to have but I can live without it. I'm indifferent to it. However one thing I was the happiest to see that I was absolutely hoping for was the inclusion of Toby Dammit and godammit I got my wish.

As I've taken to liking Fellini more and more as I've gotten older this is a total no brainer for me. I only own the La Dolce Vita release and held off on 8 1/2 and Amarcord since news of this set was floating around since last year. In fact it was around November 2019 so one whole year later and it seems worth the wait.

And I might as well add this but the individual card art... I dig em all. I get what people are saying about the La Dolce Vita/Ekberg one but it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm also interested in the fact that the official announcement states "books" plural so finding out how the finished product will look is gonna be yet another treat.