Highway 61 (McDonald, 1991)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Fletch F. Fletch

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Finally. Now all of Bruce McDonald's rock 'n' roll road trilogy will be available on DVD! This one streets on Sept. 19th. Here are the specs:

- Fully restored in widescreen with 5.1 surround sound
- commentary with writer/star Don McKellar and film critic Geoff Pevere
- short films selected by Bruce McDonald
- theatrical TV spots

Pre-order/buy it:

http://www.videoservicecorp.com/Drama/Highway-61/

Barmy

#2 Post by Barmy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:59 pm

C$13.99 (i.e. essentially free) on amazon.ca.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#3 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:12 pm

This is a trilogy? Fletch, what is this movie about? It sounds interesting.

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:52 pm

AMB wrote:This is a trilogy? Fletch, what is this movie about? It sounds interesting.
Hard Core Logo and Roadkill are the other films in the trilogy.

Is this a Canada-only release?

King of Kong

#5 Post by King of Kong » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Saw this on Sundance some years back. Basically a couple take a trip from Canada to the States with a coffin strapped to the top of their car... unaware that they are being followed by Satan!

Cinesimilitude

#6 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote: Is this a Canada-only release?
VSC only releases their stuff in Canada, so that's likely. Hard Core Logo is available under the tarantino banner (rolling thunder pictures) in the US.

Hard Core Logo has one of my favorite quotes. One of the character's answering machine says: "I can't come to the phone right now, I'm eating corn chips and masturbating. Please leave a message."

Fletch F. Fletch

#7 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:
AMB wrote:This is a trilogy? Fletch, what is this movie about? It sounds interesting.
Hard Core Logo and Roadkill are the other films in the trilogy.

Is this a Canada-only release?
Yep.

SncDthMnky wrote:Hard Core Logo is available under the tarantino banner (rolling thunder pictures) in the US.
However, VCS also released a very nice special edition DVD of Hard Core Logo with a rowdy commentary with McDonald and the film's star Hugh Dillon and a "tribute" CD to the band as well. Definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of this movie!

I also bought the edition of Roadkill that VCS released and it is quite good. Some nice extras and it is really a wonderful little movie, a great slice of Canadiana.

I've been a fan of Bruce McDonald's ever since I saw Highway 61 and tracked down all of his other films since...

If I'm not mistaken, McDonald once recounted a fairly amusing story about the time whne he crossed paths with Jim Jarmusch shooting Mystery Train while he was making Highway 61... of course, both have a habit of casting musician buddies in their films... Jello Biafra has a memorable cameo in Highway 61 for example...