Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Anonymous

#51 Post by Anonymous » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:58 am

Institut Lumière's new "Peeping Tom" is not available seperately, right?

Subbuteo

#52 Post by Subbuteo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:33 am

Greathinker wrote:I can't believe I missed out on that HMV set for £15.99, it's now almost double that at £34.99
Well if you still want it, price is now £14.99

foggy eyes

#53 Post by foggy eyes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:29 pm

What about this? Also here.

Black Narcissus and The Tales of Hoffman have been added to Carlton's pre-exisiting box of nine films. I'm assuming it houses the glorious Network edition of Black Narcissus as the box has been released by Granada Ventures/ITV DVD. However, this is a first for The Tales of Hoffman in the UK. Anybody picked this up? How does the individual disc compare to the Criterion?

I guess everyone interested will have picked up the original Carlton box in one of HMV's sales by now. Perhaps this is why this appears to have slipped out without any fanfare at all.

Lino

#54 Post by Lino » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:06 am

That's an amazing price for 11 P&P films! I assume the discs are the current individual Carlton ones as reviewed by the Beaver, right?

The thing is, the only P&P DVD I have is CC's Peeping Tom and that 11 DVD set would be the perfect buying addition to my collection. I've been putting back buying the Criterion editions of them for no reason in particular (other than their high prices, that is) and I'm almost willing to sacrifice quality for quantity, as sinful as it may sound.

Again, has anyone picked it up and could vouch for Tales of Hoffmann and Black Narcissus?

porquenegar

#55 Post by porquenegar » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am

Gordon wrote:The Network Black Narcissus is only £12.87 HERE.
It is currently only £7.99 at Amazon.uk
I just placed my order to the US for a total of £9.88.

wiljan

#56 Post by wiljan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:51 pm

And it is currently £7.99 delivered at Play.

Lino

#57 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Just letting you guys know that I'm ordering the 11 disc set and I will report about Black Narcissus and Tales of Hoffmann when it arrives.

Great Christmas present to self, by the way! And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?

Subbuteo

#58 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm

Lino wrote: Great Christmas present to self, by the way! And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Lino, just remember when indulging in the Archers this Xmas, its okay to backtrack on previous opinions of Russell's 'the Devils' as the greatest British movie of all time! :wink:

Lino

#59 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:36 pm

You sly devil, you still remember that! And yes, I have seen a few P&Ps in my time but none of them had the impact on me as Russell's feverish masterpiece did. When I did that comment, it was sincere but very personal, of course.

Completely different beasts, I know and it's terribly unfair to compare them (noone should and I doubt anyone could). It's like comparing an impressionistic painting with a surrealistic one -- you just don't do that. But I do love pretty much anything the dynamic duo laid their hands on.

Matt

#60 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Lino wrote:And yes, I have seen a few P&Ps in my time but none of them had the impact on me as Russell's feverish masterpiece did.
I'd never thought of it until now, but I can see a clear thematic and stylistic debt owed to Black Narcissus in The Devils.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#61 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Lino wrote: And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Is that because of the impending gay wedding???? (I assume you are referring to the BBC Radio 4 series).

Lino

#62 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:47 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Lino wrote: And can you think of a better way to spend Boxing Day than in the good company of the Archers?
Is that because of the impending gay wedding? (I assume you are referring to the BBC Radio 4 series).
Nah, I was referring to this lot over here. And here too. But you already knew that, right?

Ah, just to look at that picture brings back such good memories of time past... (he said, whilst slipping into a reverie no doubt fuelled by the tea with a spot of milk he had just sipped).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#63 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Lino wrote:Ah, just to look at that picture brings back such good memories of time past... (he said, whilst slipping into a reverie no doubt fuelled by the tea with a spot of milk he had just sipped).
Wot!!?? No Madelaine??

Lino

#64 Post by Lino » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:27 pm

Ok, now! The set arrived today via Amazon UK (it was mailed last Friday!) and already had a quick run through it.

Main points of interest for those planning on buying it:

- all the discs come with english subs on the features except for A Canterbury Tale;

- the set is packaged as a fold-out box (like the Battles Without Honor and Humanity one but without the steel slipcase, of course!) with the discs over-lapping each other (I would have prefered slim cases, naturally but as a 11 disc space-saving set it does what it's required: it saves space);

- Black Narcissus comes with no extras whatsoever even though the transfer was culled from the recent Network edition (a bummer but I'm not complaining as the price for this set is right);

- Tales of Hoffmann also doesn't have any extras at all and from doing a cursory view, I think it's safe to assume that it resembles Criterion's current transfer for this film (for davidhare: the makeup is green-ish and not blue-ish as in the LD).

Apart from that, great money-saving set and I look forward to go through it during the Christman holidays.

Greathinker

#65 Post by Greathinker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:39 pm

Lino wrote:Ok, now! The set arrived today via Amazon UK (it was mailed last Friday!) and already had a quick run through it.
Aside from Black Narcissus and Tales of Hoffman, can I assume that the rest of the films are the same transfers as the Carltons?

Lino

#66 Post by Lino » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Yes, I should think so even though I didn't own any of them before buying this set so I can't really confirm but as the extras are the same on all the 9 discs as before, that is a safe bet.

The only difference is that this new 11 disc set is being released by ITV whilst the previous 9 disker was a Granada release.

edit: just checked from Beaver and as an example, the menus on my Red Shoes disc are exactly the same as on the individual Carlton release. No fear there. Buy it.

Lino

#67 Post by Lino » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Just some more details about the 11 disc-set: at the end of Black Narcissus, you get the film's original trailer. It's not mentioned anywhere on the disc, not even on the scene selections. When the film ends, the screen goes black for a few moments and then the trailer starts, much like a hidden track on a CD. Wonder what kind of decisions were behind this.

Tales of Hoffmann like I said, has no extras whatsoever but it does include english subtitles, always a big help in this movie, no doubt! The transfer does seem to be the same used on the Criterion because the colors do seem to be similar and it even has the Studio Canal logo printed on the disc itself.

I will report more about the remaining 9 discs as I watch them.

Anonymous

#68 Post by Anonymous » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:11 am

I assume the transfer of A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH wasn't taken from the new restoration?

Lino

#69 Post by Lino » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm

Carsten Czarnecki wrote:I assume the transfer of A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH wasn't taken from the new restoration?
No, it wasn't. I just checked the Beaver review for it and the menus, extras and image quality of the screencaps are virtually the same as on the recently released 11 disc set.

And you might as well assume that the others are also the same Carltons that were previously available individually and then put together in the 9 disc set that was released earlier this year.

If I find any difference in them (I still have a long way to go before I finish the whole set!), be sure that I will report it here.

Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon I went to a screening of The Red Shoes! First time watching it on the big screen and indeed it makes all the difference. And the show was for free!

Alyosha

#70 Post by Alyosha » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Regarding the "Institut Lumière" Peeping Tom edition mentioned earlier in this thread - has anyone seen it? Would be interesting to know how it compare to the Criterion. I was about to buy the Crit but just heard of this one...

Greathinker

#71 Post by Greathinker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Alyosha wrote:Regarding the "Institut Lumière" Peeping Tom edition mentioned earlier in this thread - has anyone seen it? Would be interesting to know how it compare to the Criterion. I was about to buy the Crit but just heard of this one...
According to this review the transfer is identical to the R2 studio canal release, which can be compared to the criterion here.

Being that the Institut Lumière version is exclusive to the box I don't think it's worth it, especially with nothing done to better the transfer.

broadwayrock

#72 Post by broadwayrock » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:29 pm

The only benefit of the Institut Lumière version of Peeping Tom is that some of the extras are exclusive (the very short interviews with Thelma Schoonmaker), but the documentary 'A very british Psycho' is already on the Criterion.

This is a French review of the Institut Lumière Boxset including details on the extras and an small image comparison on Peeping Tom. The Institut Lumière/Studio Canal's colours appear more natural whereas the Criterion's skin tones seem more red.

Alyosha

#73 Post by Alyosha » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:28 am

Thanks for the info. I missed that it's been released in Sweden as well. By Universal, but with a Studio Canal-logo on the back of the cover. Maybe it's the same transfer as the other R2:s then.

Narshty

#74 Post by Narshty » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 am

I got word from Optimum that their individual UK release of The Tales of Hoffmann will be coming on 3rd September 2007. Presumably there'll be some extras attached.

alfons416

#75 Post by alfons416 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 am

Alyosha: the swedish dvd is the same transfer!