Il Cinema Ritrovato

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
Michael Kerpan

Re: Il Cinema Ritrovato

#101 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Dave Kehr (in addition to Rosenbaum) -- but he is less visible (audible) now that he is engaged in programming...

JAP

#102 Post by JAP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm

L.A.

#103 Post by L.A. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 am

RINO LUPO: MULHERES DA BEIRA / OS LOBOS (Portugal, 1922-1923) by Rino Lupo – Cinemateca Portuguesa – Museu do Cinema
This one interests me and at least the Portuguese Fnac offer it. I’m going to do a little more research and find out whether it has English subs and if there are other alternatives where to order the DVD.

Paupau

#104 Post by Paupau » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:22 am

It's a Fnac exclusive. I can check the back cover in store during the week to verify the actual subs.

Enviado do meu SM-A510F através do Tapatalk

whaleallright

#105 Post by whaleallright » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 am

anyone know if that Sucksdorff set has English subs? or all of his short films?

tenia

#106 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am

Some choices are a bit surprising. For instance, why select Potemkine's Eraserhead which is a lighter version of the Criterion release with no specific editorial input ? Why selecting Second Sight's Color of Pomegranates on DVD and not BD ? Studio Canal picks are also all DVD-only, while BD equivalents exists (and, in the case of The Graduate, would be the logical choice).

In any case though, that's a LOT of finalists, which I guess showcase how many tremendous releases are happening currently.

RobertB

#107 Post by RobertB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 am

I don't own the Sucksdorff box. But Studio S say nothing about any subtitles on the website, and nothing on the front or back of the box indicates that it has any subtitles. 4 feature films, 16 shorts + a 4*30 minutes TV-series.

L.A.

#108 Post by L.A. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:32 pm

BRANKO GAPO BOX SET (Republic of Macedonia, 1965-1992) – Kinoteka na Makedonija (Dvd)
I think I’m going to bother Kinoteka na Makedonija about this.

djvaso

#109 Post by djvaso » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 am

L.A. wrote:
BRANKO GAPO BOX SET (Republic of Macedonia, 1965-1992) – Kinoteka na Makedonija (Dvd)
The boxset contais 6 discs, they have English subtitles, the price is 25 EUR + delivery, can be ordered directly from them and paid by bank transfer only. :(

L.A.

#110 Post by L.A. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

djvaso wrote:
L.A. wrote:
The boxset contais 6 discs, they have English subtitles, the price is 25 EUR + delivery, can be ordered directly from them and paid by bank transfer only. :(
Yes, they replied back and the films, the extras and the booklet are English-friendly. 25,00€ for the set and 10,00€ shipping costs to Finland. Doing a bank transfer to Macedonia is difficult. But won’t be giving up.

vertovfan

#111 Post by vertovfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Have you tried transferwise.com? I’ve had good luck with them so far, wiring from the USA to several European countries. I’ve just emailed Kinoteka na Makedonija myself - I’d love to check out that set.

L.A.

#112 Post by L.A. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:39 pm

tenia

#113 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 pm

It's a bit unfair for Criterion to win through the Olympic Films boxset. I'm unsure it's an impressive effort, but outside the outstandish amount of movies restored, the boxset specifically lacks the acclaimed "insertion in their respective historical contexts". I'm quite certain it wouldn't be hard to find a more thorough Criterion release that feels like it received a more lavish editorial treatment.

Generally speaking though, it's not the first time I find the shortlist and some winners surprising. Take the Potemkine set for instance. Sure, it's a nice set, with all the newest restorations in it and a bunch of extras. But it's 150€ because movies aside, it contains 2 books that add a lot on the price tag and only a little in content. Moreover, the extras are nice, but Criterion has already blown most out of the water. "the most comprehensive presentation of the master’s work" ? I like the set, but I doubt it. It's also very likely the longer Andrei Rublev cut will be rendered technically obsolete by the upcoming Criterion since it's presented in SD in the set but is announced (though the Criterion page doesn't specify it anymore) to be newly scanned in 2K for the Criterion release.

Carlotta and Pathé's selection also are weird. Carlotta isn't doing new stuff with their Lino Brocka set, which basically is a French port of the UK set. Their UCE collection provides way more specific editorial work from the label and would make for much better staples of what they can achieve. La fête à Henriette also feel like a random choice from Pathé, who are doing great stuff for some years but why select one of their lighter releases ?

Same goes for the format selections oddities. Why the Melville set was selected in DVD ? The BD set isn't 100% BD, but it exists, with Leon Morin freshly restored in 4K. Why single out the DVD version instead ?

MichaelB

Il Cinema Ritrovato

#114 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:32 am

Bear in mind that, much like the Best Foreign Film Oscar, the shortlist isn’t selected from every video release over the previous year - labels have to proactively put their titles forward for consideration, provide review copies for each juror, etc.

One of the jurors expressed surprise that no Indicator titles had been shortlisted, but that’s because they were never submitted for consideration in the first place - I suspect the team was just too busy with the present run of box sets.

tenia

#115 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am

It is indeed something I tend to forget about these more "technical" awards.