Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Roscoe
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1301 Post by Roscoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am

AfterTheRain wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 am
Found out a little more about the Universal deal: Kino has licensed 100 titles with the earliest coming from 1932 and the most recent coming from 2009. Sadly, no Universal silents are part of the deal but the possibility that the pre-1948 Paramount catalog is part of the titles helps offset the disappointment; gotta take the bitter with the sweet.
Not even the new restoration of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, the unrestored version of which Kino released some years back? Or is that part of another Kino/Universal deal?

User avatar
dwk
Posts: 1705
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1302 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

I think the Kino rep said on the Blu-ray forum that they tried to get The Man Who Laughs but couldn't. Don't know if it is already with another label or if Universal intends to release it themselves (doubtful)

Calvin
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1303 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I suppose the smart money would be on the 1932 title (s?) being Ford's Air Mail or Murders in the Rue Morgue, but I have my fingers crossed for Edward L. Cahn's Afraid to Talk

User avatar
willoneill
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1304 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 pm
I suppose the smart money would be on the 1932 title (s?) being Ford's Air Mail or Murders in the Rue Morgue, but I have my fingers crossed for Edward L. Cahn's Afraid to Talk
My money is on the original Scarface.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 29044
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1305 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Kino's pull with Universal is apparently pretty poor:
We asked for The Big Clock, Black Angel, The Blue Dahlia, Criss Cross, The Glass Key, The Lost Weekend, Phantom Lady and This Gun For Hire and none were available to us.

User avatar
What A Disgrace
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1306 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

hopefully the reason they could not get those titles is that Arrow Academy has some noir plans of a significant nature.

AfterTheRain
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1307 Post by AfterTheRain » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:15 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm
hopefully the reason they could not get those titles is that Arrow Academy has some noir plans of a significant nature.
Or Criterion might have gotten at least one or two of those noirs. I seem to recall that directors Frank Tuttle (This Gun for Hire) and George Marshall (The Blue Dahlia) had phantom pages in the past.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 29044
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1308 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 am

DVDBeaver on Irma la Douce-- surprised Gary didn't screencap the shot where we can see MacLaine's pasties

User avatar
tenia
Posts: 3629
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1309 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am

Just for the fun, this is what a French label released earlier this year in our country.

Glowingwabbit
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1310 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 am

Are the rest of the Mann/Stewart westerns with Univeral? Wondering if we can finally get them on blu

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 29044
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1311 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:00 am

All except the Naked Spur, which is Warners

User avatar
What A Disgrace
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1312 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 am

AfterTheRain wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:15 am
What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm
hopefully the reason they could not get those titles is that Arrow Academy has some noir plans of a significant nature.
Or Criterion might have gotten at least one or two of those noirs. I seem to recall that directors Frank Tuttle (This Gun for Hire) and George Marshall (The Blue Dahlia) had phantom pages in the past.
That's even better. Maybe Criterion's next big project is a hell of a noir box.

beamish14
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1313 Post by beamish14 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 am

Here are the big Universal titles I'm hoping for:

Closet Land

The Great Gatsby (1949 Alan Ladd version)

Play it as it Lays/Diary of a Mad Housewife

At Play in the Fields of the Lord

Puzzle of a Downfall Child

Red Sky at Morning

Two Small Bodies

Kino Insider
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1314 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm
Kino's pull with Universal is apparently pretty poor:
We asked for The Big Clock, Black Angel, The Blue Dahlia, Criss Cross, The Glass Key, The Lost Weekend, Phantom Lady and This Gun For Hire and none were available to us.
Have you seen the list? We have many great titles in the deal, including a bunch of essentials. They cannot license titles to us that they plan to release themselves or ones they've already licensed to others.

Post Reply