110-112, 439, 729-731 The Complete Jacques Tati

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.

aox

Re: 110-112, 439, 729-731 The Complete Jacques Tati

#252 Post by aox » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Hey Sausage,

I was rereading the thread and crossed this post. Did you rewatch? Has your opinion of Playtime changed one way or the other?
Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:17 am
I found Playtime exhausting the first time I watched it. After about an hour I couldn't wait for it to be over just so that my eyes could get some relief. It seems like a film I'd like better in short bursts. At full length, it's all a bit much. I'll revisit it and see if my opinion has changed, but I'm not looking forward to it. Much more excited for Mon Oncle, which I haven't seen since highschool. Also it always reminds of me of the title of that Wallace Stevens poem, Le Monocle de Mon Oncle.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#253 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 pm

My second viewing was more pleasurable, maybe because knowing what was coming removed some of the cognitive load. I still think it's all a bit too much, but it's no longer so exhausting. My wife loved it unreservedly, tho'. I introduced her to Tati with Holiday, Mon Oncle, and Playtime from this set, and she loved each one more than the last. Playtime didn't seem to exhaust her, so perhaps she has more of a sense of how best to watch it.

Lowry_Sam

#254 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am

I found the opposite to be true for me. I loved Playtime when I first saw it on the big screen & so I picked it up when Criterion released it on dvd. I then upgraded to blu-Ray, then the box. I have found that it’s not as enjoyable at home & only watch bits & pieces now & then, but not the whole thing. It really seems to me That movies that are more of a visual experience require your undivided attention, which a theater experience forces on you (not to mention that a larger screen heightens the sense of immersion). Other films I have found this to be true for: Koyaanisqatsi, Metropolis, Apocalypse Now, 2001, A Space Odyssey & many others that don’t have a traditional narrative structure & rely heavily on the visual composition to convey things.