The Films of 2018

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
ianthemovie

Re: The Films of 2018

#76 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:48 am

I will second the praise for Private Life which I caught at NYFF last weekend and which I guess has already come out on Netflix. Really superb relationship comedy-drama that sadly now feels old-fashioned even though ten years ago it seems like there were a million of these types of movies coming out. Maybe there still are, but Jenkins is really one of the best practitioners (along with Baumbach) of this type of literate, screenplay-and-performance driven indie realism. It's witty without ever feeling arch or artificial and emotionally moving without ever feeling precious. Giamatti and Hahn are excellent and their characters feel very lived-in, down to the rumpled bedsheets and smudged glasses and frumpy hair and clothes. It has a messy, loose quality that I really appreciated (in contrast to an indie drama like Wildllife, which I saw the night before and which felt restrained, antiseptic, and generally lifeless). I suppose some people will disparage Private Life for being not "cinematic" enough but honestly how many other films have writing and acting this good? I'll take it.

[EDIT: It's really a shame Giamatti hasn't gotten much film work lately (unless I'm missing some things?). This movie was a reminder of how good he is and it's wonderful to see him play a decent guy and a good husband as opposed to the pathetic loser/schmuck roles that he specialized in--and played very well--in the early 2000s.]

PfR73

#77 Post by PfR73 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:12 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:48 am
[EDIT: It's really a shame Giamatti hasn't gotten much film work lately (unless I'm missing some things?). This movie was a reminder of how good he is and it's wonderful to see him play a decent guy and a good husband as opposed to the pathetic loser/schmuck roles that he specialized in--and played very well--in the early 2000s.]
He's been starring in the Showtime series "Billions" for the past couple years, so that may have affected his availability for film work.

Mr Sheldrake

#78 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Bad Times at the El Royale
Cynthia Erivo belts out several great pop songs of 50 years ago at some unlikely moments. When the cleverness flags have Cynthia sing, and it's a good idea. Jeff Bridges is the other reason to see this, he invests, I don't know, dignity maybe, to this pulp extravaganza, a performance not just for completists.

Colette
Great chemistry between Keira Knightley as Colette and Dominic West as her philandering, charismatic scoundrel of a husband lends to a liveliness rarely found in costume biopics. Interesting that Colette liberates herself (early 20th century) and reaps the rewards, in relation to the curious self-effacement (late 20th century) of Glenn Close in The Wife, both facing similar situations (hubby unfairly gets the literary credit), and playing in adjoining theaters at my multiplex.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#79 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm

It’s Interesting to see Colette being used as part of the larger cultural narrative against oppression given how very different a cultural narrative her life would produce depending on what part you wanted to tell.

She’s being used as a feminist hero, striving for autonomy and recognition against a controlling, egotistical husband using her to add to his own celebrity. And indeed Colette’s brave and unprecedented acts of personal independence are rightly admirable.

But in a different context, Colette comes across as predatory in her sexuality, for example seducing her 16 year old step son and carrying on with him so torridly that the family had to scheme to get him out from under her grasp. That would furnish a very different narrative altogether.

So, yeah, Colette the person is fascinating, impressive, inspiring, and often very unlikeable, even repellant. She can provoke contradictory responses in you. Colette the writer is a genius, though, undoutably.