It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forthcoming: Black Peter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 am 

Coming to Blu-Ray (!!!) some time this year, per Second Run’s website.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:33 pm 

Hopefully a May or June release, which'll be available for pre-order soon so I can put it in my Amazon basket with all of the stuff I want in June.

I hope Konkurs and Loves of a Blonde get a HD boost soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm 

Never heard anything of this, how is it? I've only seen the great Firemen's Ball from Forman's early films

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
Never heard anything of this, how is it? I've only seen the great Firemen's Ball from Forman's early films

If you like any of Forman’s Czech films, you’re all but certain to like this: the quality threshold he maintained throughout this period of his career was formidably high.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 pm 

I would say everything I watched by him except for Taking Off (which Im hesitant to invest with a re-watch) has been terrific, but I haven't seen anything post Larry Flint or much else except for his most well known

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm 

Last year the Czech Film Archive released the restored version on DVD but no Blu-ray from them yet which I thought was a bit funny. So this is a very welcome release.

Really anxious to see what the extras department offer but a short film sounds nice. I’m sure Forman directed some in the sixties.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:04 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I like it better than the two Formans Criterion put out (and I like those). It was a key world cinema film of the sixties that fell to the wayside here thanks to our friends Facets, though it's a bit too shaggy for me to call it fully worthy of its once vaunted position. I imagine most anyone here would at least enjoy it though!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:33 pm 

This was one of the first Forman films shown on SBS TV in the mid-80s here in Australia. I taped it and still have the slightly doubled-imaged, poorly contrasted copy on DVD-r in my collection. To get this upgraded straight to Blu is worth the wait.

As far as the film is concerned: if you like Forman or the Czech New Wave do not hesitate. This is a very amusing piece indeed. The very long central ‘party’ scene is quite remarkable and anticipates the similar scene in BLONDE. Jan Vostrcil is excellent as Peter’s father and gives a definitive performance as the ineffectual educator-dad. (His fatherly advice cannot ever hope to cross the generation gap.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:01 am 

Jan Vostrčil appeared in all of Forman’s Czech films (unless you count Talent Competiton as a separate film, although he utterly dominates its companion-piece) and is one of the great but largely unsung heroes of the Czechoslovak New Wave.

Despite acting for Forman, Ivan Passer (Intimate Lighting), František Vláčil (Adelheid) and others, he was never a professional actor as such, and he would undoubtedly have ended his career and reputation as an obscure provincial musician if Passer hadn’t discovered him when looking for conductors with screen presence for the short If There Were No Music. Apparently Vostrčil took a lot of persuading, and is essentially playing himself in that film, but Forman liked him so much that he started giving him straight acting roles, and Black Peter is one of his best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:14 am 

Is that photo from your atrocious Facets DVD Michael? I’m sure you will be happy to replace it soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:04 am 

charal wrote:
Is that photo from your atrocious Facets DVD Michael? I’m sure you will be happy to replace it soon.

I just grabbed it off a Google Image search - I have the old Czech DVD. Which also doesn’t look great, but at least the subtitles are optional and in sync.