Marvel Comics on Film

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Marvel Comics on Film

#276 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:32 pm
Žižek's take on Black Panther
That was getting pretty good and then it just ended. Also, free advice: don't read the comments (I know, this is universally true)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#277 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:35 am

Gotta love any forum where “Žižek is basically cartoon Hitler” is not the most outrageous thing written

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#278 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:47 am

I find it impossible to read more than a few sentences of Zizek....

I will never understand his appeal.

Persona

#279 Post by Persona » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Finally saw The Rider, trying to wrap my head around Chloe Zhao doing The Eternals.

I hope it's all non-actors and Malick-by-way-of-Safdies stylings.

bearcuborg

#280 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:32 am

dda1996a wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 am
It's not "amazing" but it's the most fun I've had in a superhero film in the past five years at least, it's the best animated film of 2018 and it's a pretty great film as is. And you get Spider-Ham and a Nic Cage Spider-Noir
I found this pretty enjoyable, even with expectations set pretty high based on the ever trustful Leonard Maltin.

It’s a visual juggernaut, no doubt about it...with no other comic book adaptation having such a feel for the source material. I would implore anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, to do so in 3D.

I even dug the hip-hop soundtrack. Yet, I was a little annoyed with the pacing as the finale didn’t deliver any kinda oompf already seen earlier in the film...but that’s a minor qualm. The Stan Lee stuff was very touching too.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#281 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#283 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Audience participation on sites like that was always a mistake. Frankly, since the halcyon days of IMDB it's been a scourge. Luckily these idiots could care less about Letterboxd, the only oasis left

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#284 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Like with Ghostbusters, the trolls should have just waited, as Captain Marvel is only getting middling reviews and fan responses, but stuff like this will drive those that only sorta like it to rating it higher to combat those who are just downvoting a woman

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#285 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 pm
Like with Ghostbusters, the trolls should have just waited, as Captain Marvel is only getting middling reviews and fan responses, but stuff like this will drive those that only sorta like it to rating it higher to combat those who are just downvoting a woman
Moreover, the cast and movie team will also be able to use this to rebuke the possibly mixed critic and public response.

movielocke

Marvel Comics on Film

#286 Post by movielocke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:Like with Ghostbusters, the trolls should have just waited, as Captain Marvel is only getting middling reviews and fan responses, but stuff like this will drive those that only sorta like it to rating it higher to combat those who are just downvoting a woman
Eh, the amnesia main plot (which is weird when the trailers avoid it entirely and tell a much clearer story) is probably driving the review response, but I’d say this is near the top of the middling avenger intro films, about like ant man or dr strange or Thor, but not quite as good as captain America and no where close to panther, guardians or iron man.

But like most of the space heavy marvel films (infinity war, Thor, guardians) this one is extremely dense with plot and mileau detail that is really hard to digest all at once, like those films, I expect the detailed world building of captain marvel becomes a lot less overwhelming on a second viewing.

But all that space opera plot density combined with an amnesia plot which seems engineered to avoid a stereotypical origin story narrative structure we’ve already seen in most every other origin story (instead giving us a center out structure, starting in the middle and building out both ends with overly complex approaches) and you have a film that is really different from audience expectations and undercuts the narrative flow of a typical comic book film while also reinforcing the setpiece fight scene structure—which because it’s not subverted is clearly the more important than the narrative.

I’d rank it about 12th overall.

movielocke

Marvel Comics on Film

#287 Post by movielocke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 pm

I just read the vox article on the angry male comics nerds pre hating this film like ghostbusters.

I was thinking this film is getting mixed reviews and people are predicting a work backlash that overrates it in response, in spite of legitimate problems with the film.

But it looks like any woke backlash will be to overrate the film in response to the angry male comic nerds campaign against it.

Finch

#288 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Filmfreakcentral chimes in with one of the harshest reviews yet
The characters are undeveloped, the outlines of this universe are vague and uninteresting, and the less said about the multiple attempts at humour, the better. In the interests of parity, every actor in the film is wasted except, probably, the cat, who in one scene is comically flattened by G-forces and in another gets imprisoned in a little laser cat carrier the bad guys just happen to keep with them for situations like this. I don't know if there were massive last-minute changes to the script, but if there weren't I have questions about why the movie plays like bad improv in its best moments, Calvinball in its worst.
Slant Magazine updated their MCU film rankings and this is in the bottom five.

Clearly, the filmmakers had good intentions but this sounds just dire (If this and other garbage like Green Book is what Spielberg has in mind with the theatrical experience, more power to Netflix).

movielocke

#289 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Finch wrote:Filmfreakcentral chimes in with one of the harshest reviews yet
The characters are undeveloped, the outlines of this universe are vague and uninteresting, and the less said about the multiple attempts at humour, the better. In the interests of parity, every actor in the film is wasted except, probably, the cat, who in one scene is comically flattened by G-forces and in another gets imprisoned in a little laser cat carrier the bad guys just happen to keep with them for situations like this. I don't know if there were massive last-minute changes to the script, but if there weren't I have questions about why the movie plays like bad improv in its best moments, Calvinball in its worst.
Slant Magazine updated their MCU film rankings and this is in the bottom five.

Clearly, the filmmakers had good intentions but this sounds just dire (If this and other garbage like Green Book is what Spielberg has in mind with the theatrical experience, more power to Netflix).
At work we were talking about the film Friday and the consensus seemed to land on this: that with such a prominent gaslighting theme to the entire film it is very hard to judge on first viewings if the parts one didn’t like were because they legitimately weren’t working or if the parts one didn’t like were because the gaslighting is subtextually interfering with fundamental audience identification elements like character interaction and natural dialogue. For example I thought Brie Larson was weirdly flat about two third of the time, but thinking about I am coming around to the idea that this is a deliberate acting and story choice reflecting how her brain has been messed with.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#290 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Destin Cretton, director of Short Term 12, to direct Shang-Chi movie. Literally never heard of this character

Luke M

#291 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Deadline Hollywood is reporting James Gunn is back on to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3