Eye of the Needle

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Eye of the Needle

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am

Confirmed as a Dual Format release for August 20th:
Eye of The Needle
Directed by Richard Marquand

Acclaimed adaptation of the best-selling espionage thriller by Ken Follet, and directed by Richard Marquand (most famous for Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi)

Englishmen know him as Faber (Donald Sutherland), but to the Fatherland, he's the loyal and lethal spy known as 'The Needle'. Shipwrecked on a Scottish island en route to Germany, Faber befriends the beautiful Lucy (Kate Nelligan), whose marriage to a crippled, embittered pilot is faltering. Faber sets about seducing her, intending to use her to help carry out his mission and prevent the impending D-Day invasion.

Special features
• Original theatrical trailer
• Other extras TBC
• Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the films and full film credits

US | 1981 | black & white | 113 minutes | 1 x BD50 / Region B | DVD9 x 1 /Region 2 | Cert 15

Dr Amicus

Re: Eye of the Needle

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 am

"Black & White" must surely be a mistake - the one time I saw this film (on its first UKTV Screening I think) it was in colour...

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 am

There are similar mistakes in the other Amazon listings (Separate Tables is given as a 1963 film), so I'm assuming they were hastily typed over previous notifications in order to meet a deadline.

Stefan Andersson

#4 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

I wonder if the alternate ending will be included?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082351/al ... t_ql_trv_5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rozsa´s wonderful score deserves a music-only track!

Mr Sloane

#5 Post by Mr Sloane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am

I caught this on Netflix a few months back, and to be honest I didn't think it was particularly good, despite a strong start and Sutherland's performance. I think it definitely has some effective moments of suspense, for example
SpoilerShow
the murders of the landlady at the beginning of the film and later Billy on the train
but overall I thought the relationship between Sutherland and Nelligan's characters was far too rushed and not explored nearly enough.