Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Ribs

Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Praised by Japanese film critics and much admired by his contemporaries Akira Kurosawa and Yasujirô Ozu, Tomu Uchida nonetheless remains a little-known in the west. His 1955 masterpiece Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji is an excellent entry point for the newcomer.

Set during the Edo period, Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji is a tragicomic road movie of sorts, following a samurai, his two servants – including spear-carrier Genpachi (Chiezô Kataoka) – and the various people they meet on their journey, including a policeman in pursuit of a thief, a young child and a woman who is to be sold into prostitution.

Winner of a prestigious Blue Ribbon Award for supporting actor – and Kurosawa regular – Daisuke Katô, Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji is a film deserving of much wider international recognition.

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed mono audio
Optional newly translated English subtitles
Brand-new audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp, recorded exclusively for this release
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Corey Brickley
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and filmmaker James Oliver

UK & US on September 3rd

Orlac

Re: Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji

#2 Post by Orlac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Definetly an instant buy for me!

dda1996a

#3 Post by dda1996a » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm

What's up with all the Japanese films getting just a commentary and a slim booklet? I'd pick up way more if the releases were a little more elaborated upon...

Michael Kerpan

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

In terms of "anti-samurai code" samurai films, this is the best (at least after Humanity and Paper Balloons). IMHO, it blows Kobayashi's later films of this sort out of the water. ;-)

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Excellent news! Fingers crossed this sells so well they'll consider more Uchida in the future.

tenia

#6 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm
What's up with all the Japanese films getting just a commentary and a slim booklet? I'd pick up way more if the releases were a little more elaborated upon...
That's unfortunately the level of resources allocated by Arrow for these releases now, and IIRC that's something Marc Walkow himself explicitly regretted. But he also said the Japanese titles just weren't selling, so this probably explains that. It's unfotunate because the lack of lengthier extras combined with the usual state of the available HD masters limit the excitement for these HD releases, at least enough so that these definitely are the kind of stuff I'll wait to buy after a price drop.

dda1996a

#7 Post by dda1996a » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:00 am

Sadly that's the case and as someone who at first was picking up all Japanese releases I've been skipping a lot of them. I picked the Suzukis only because of lack of availability and getting the two sets for cheap (and each set having a few films) but lately I either picked ones for dirt cheap (only paid for shipping after using points for Diamond Guys vol 2) or skipped even those I might like.
Definitely a Catch-22...

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:39 am

I favour the Japanese releases as a priority, but I think it's unfair of Arrow to complain about low sales of one sub-genre, when they have glutted the market with limited editions of everything.

J Wilson

#9 Post by J Wilson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 pm

That's unfortunately the level of resources allocated by Arrow for these releases now, and IIRC that's something Marc Walkow himself explicitly regretted. But he also said the Japanese titles just weren't selling, so this probably explains that. It's unfotunate because the lack of lengthier extras combined with the usual state of the available HD masters limit the excitement for these HD releases, at least enough so that these definitely are the kind of stuff I'll wait to buy after a price drop.
As someone who wants to see more Japanese titles, particularly stuff we might not have gotten in the West before, this is disheartening to hear. Will be picking this title up though.