Children of Men

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

FrauBlucher

Re: Children of Men

#251 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Ironically my Arrow’s Children of Men bluray arrived today. Now I’ll get to watch the future.

In all seriousness, this has been happening for a long time. I’m 57 and all my grandparents came from families that had 5, 8, 9 and 11 siblings. That just doesn’t happen anymore in the developed countries. If someone has 4 kids that’s considered a big family.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#252 Post by tenia » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:57 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:10 pm
all my grandparents came from families that had 5, 8, 9 and 11 siblings. That just doesn’t happen anymore in the developed countries. If someone has 4 kids that’s considered a big family.
These aren't necessarily the same thing. In hindsight, it doesn't look like all these kids always were wanted, and that men didn't care and women had to bear this situation. I saw a small news article 2 days ago and 2 of the 3 reasons mentioned for the drop in natality in Europe (Germany especially) were "better access to contraception" and "women having better access to culture and work". These aren't necessarily bad things to me.
However, this is a societal choice. What Children of Men is describing is a physiological change making humanity non fertile. This is not a choice.
While the 2 reasons probably are combined to give the current result, what Children of Men describes only is the physico-chemical part of the issue.

FrauBlucher

#253 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:41 am

I understand that the study and film are not the same. Just following the lead of the conversation.