Wanda

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
paa400

#1 Post by paa400 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:38 am

I was wondering if anyone had seen the french DVD release of Wanda?

Arn777

#2 Post by Arn777 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:59 am

Yes I have. It's a good one, considering it was a low budget film and the dvd manages to keep that feel with lots of film grain, and some interesting supplements.

Ashirg

#3 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:09 pm

Wanda is being released in region 1 by a new studio Parlour Pictures

FilmFanSea

#4 Post by FilmFanSea » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 am

Ashirg wrote:Wanda is being released in region 1 by a new studio Parlour Pictures
DVD Savant has reviewed the new (barebones) R1 release. This is the first release by Parlour Pictures. Would be nice if Gary could compare this release with the mk2 disc from France, but I'd be willing to bet the French release easily outclasses the R1.

jesus the mexican boi

#5 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:31 pm

We had previously speculated that Barbara Loden's highly regarded indie classic WANDA might find a home in the Criterion Collection, and while it still may, it has been released by an independent outfit called Parlour. Here's Savant's review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22742

Cold Bishop

#6 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Nice... Especially considering I was picking up a bootleg. (How foolish of me not to know there was a french dvd)?

One of those films I've always wanted to see, but that has always eluded me. Now I'm off to Netflix....

Anonymous

#7 Post by Anonymous » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:59 pm

FYI: The new domestic Parlour DVD is a vastly superior transfer to the muddy region 2 disc. A pleasing 1.66:1 transfer and razor sharp with excellent color saturation make it well worth the $22.00 from Amazon.com. If you are looking for extras, like the appearance with John Lennon and Yoko on the Mike Douglas show, you might want to get the French DVD as well, but if you want to see the film in its best presentation, the domestic release is definitely the way to go. :D

FilmFanSea

#8 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:41 am

cinechick wrote:FYI: The new domestic Parlour DVD is a vastly superior transfer to the muddy region 2 disc. A pleasing 1.66:1 transfer and razor sharp with excellent color saturation make it well worth the $22.00 from Amazon.com. If you are looking for extras, like the appearance with John Lennon and Yoko on the Mike Douglas show, you might want to get the French DVD as well, but if you want to see the film in its best presentation, the domestic release is definitely the way to go. :D
Welcome, cinechick, and thanks for the information. I'm surprised that the Parlour DVD outclasses the French mk2 (I've seen neither at this point), but you're the first person on this forum who has reported seeing them both. I still hope Gary (at DVD Beaver) can compare screencaps, but I'm rooting for Parlour to come out on top.

Peacock

Re: Wanda

#9 Post by Peacock » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:22 pm

The John and Yoko Interview with Barbara Loden can be found here:

SheriffAmbrose

#10 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot. I've never seen this and I was literally just talking about it today.

Ovader

#11 Post by Ovader » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 am

New restored version to be screened.
In the United States the release of a DVD in 2006 brought the film to a somewhat wider audience. It is about to get more attention with a full restoration from the 16-millimeter original that may be truer visually to Ms. Loden’s and Mr. Proferes’s intentions than any previous version. The restored version, the work of the UCLA Film & Television Archive, with support from Gucci and the Film Foundation, will be screened on Thursday in Venice and on Oct. 27 at the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan.

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Janus just released a trailer for a new re-issue that will play in theaters across the country, starting with Metrograph in NYC.

This is long overdue - back in 2010, a great-looking restoration premiered at MoMA (edit: i just noticed the last post in this thread is actually about that screening), but it seemed to more or less disappear after that. It was the first and only time I've seen the film, and it was quite the event.