It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:01 am 

Well, this is probably a discussion for a different time, but I'm not sure if I agree completely. Breathless may have a lot of connections to earlier American movies but I think the style in which it was made illuminates the New Wave period in French cinematic culture history much more then, say Jules and Jim, which takes place at the beginning of the 20th century if you are going to look at it so literally. Though, actually looking at your list again, not all of the films in each category depict the period they were released in, so maybe I'm not exactly understanding the final project right.
I don't think the course sounds terrible even with some of the dubious selections. Maybe the teacher just wanted to be 'cutting edge'. I just finished a French cinema course myself, but I had to design it personally because my school doesn't offer any film studies classes. It turned out being pretty fun actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:27 am 

what about e. elias herhige?

i'd like to see begotten and shadow of the vampire on criterion.

another title that really deserves the criterion treatment is tod browning's freaks. an important film if there ever was one. i'm sure distribution rights would be a problem there, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:33 am 

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current R1 release of Freaks, the picture quality's great and there's a good deal of extras.

And I don't think Merhige has done anything worthwhile enough to give him a release, from what I've seen his films have been interesting but nothing special.

Last edited by Murdoch on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 am 

jbeall wrote:
Good thing, too, b/c the Fox/Lorber disc sucked.

What exactly is wrong with the Fox-Lorber, apart from there being no extras? The transfer is perfectly fine to my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:41 pm 

fortunato wrote:
what about e. elias herhige?

i'd like to see begotten and shadow of the vampire on criterion.

another title that really deserves the criterion treatment is tod browning's freaks. an important film if there ever was one. i'm sure distribution rights would be a problem there, though.

Warner doesn't let Criterion distribute any of their films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:40 pm 

It's Merhige, not Herhige. And I think Begotten is pretty remarkable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:44 pm 

So, could the restored This Happy Breed, be another one of the MGM titles Criterion is acquiring? The current MGM disc is OOP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:50 pm 

I think it's safe to say that the three titles will all be Lean titles... so very possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:55 pm 

Well, the BFI is restoring the first 10 Lean films --- maybe an Early Lean Eclipse set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:03 pm 

That probably would depend, big studios usually calculates to big expenses as licensing goes, but I've been wrong many times. I would be happy either way.

Last edited by Cinephrenic on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:20 pm 

Rialto will be re-releasing MADE IN USA. Also mentioned on my blog here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:22 pm 

Should be in a nice print - Optimum/Studio Canal DVD is pretty fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:23 am 

Anybody want Criterion to release Victor Erice´s EL SUR (1983)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:31 am 

Stefan Andersson wrote:

Absolutely! This, and "Sol del Membrillo". I actually hoped that these two films were coming shortly after their release of "Beehive", but nothing happened. And this although "Membrillo" is already out in Spain in what seems to be an excellent double-disc-set which actually has English subs (so they could have simply ported the extras and subs and do a little bit of extra cleaning up on the film itself).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 am 

Stefan Andersson wrote:

Abso-ipso-factoLUTELY.

Can anyone who's seen this as well as Beehive give an assessment of one vs the other? How does SUR measure up qualitatively?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
Stefan Andersson wrote:

Abso-ipso-factoLUTELY.

Can anyone who's seen this as well as Beehive give an assessment of one vs the other? How does SUR measure up qualitatively?

El Sur is a better a film than Beehive. An absolute masterpiece of a film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 am 

Quince Tree Sun could be paired with it....

Post subject: Wings of Desire OOP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 am 

It looks like Wing of Desire went OOP. Does anyone know if it's going to release again? Maybe CC picked it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 am 

Strange MGM would let it go OOP, as their special edition was very good, with a great transfer and some good extras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm 

I asked Tamara about more Erice (including El Sur and Quince Tree) a few months ago, but she never responded. I'd love to see more Erice in the collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:14 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Wow, I guess I should have bought Wings of Desire last month when it was $7.50 on Amazon. Whoops, now it's selling for $28 at the cheapest.

A lot of MGM titles have been going out of print. Just recently, notable films such as Kiss Me, Stupid and Electra Glide in Blue-- might be a solid investment for future returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 pm 

fortunato wrote:
another title that really deserves the criterion treatment is tod browning's freaks. an important film if there ever was one.

Warner's DVD has a commentary (David J. Skal), an hour-long documentary, the re-release prologue, and alternate endings. Only about $12 at most retailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:40 pm 

Freaks is WB, and its old news that WB never licenses to CC.

What's wrong w the WB edition anyhow? You'd probably wind up with one extra Extra Feature vs the WB (with some yawn of a talking head overintellectualizing what essentially was-- albeit fiercely antisocial textually-- a hoot of an exploitation picture), and another 20 bucks on the sticker price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 pm 

Antoine Doinel wrote:
Strange MGM would let it go OOP, as their special edition was very good, with a great transfer and some good extras.

Given the quality of the MGM SE, I really can't see Criterion picking this up; it seems to me that this is more like all those Sony/Paramount titles that went OOP because Sony/Para. couldn't be bothered to reprint the titles.

However, I suppose it could be possible, and the Fox DVD of Paris, Texas also went OOP not too long ago...and it isn't that I wouldn't mind Criterion releasing these titles, but I just can't see the point beyond the old discs being OOP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 am 

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but was there ever a chance of Criterion getting their hands on "Make Way for Tomorrow"? It's recently been released in France, and is a Universal title if I'm not mistaken.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next