Diary of a Mad Housewife
Edition no. 168
Superbly directed by Frank Perry (The Swimmer, Play It as It Lays), with a scathing screenplay by Eleanor Perry (David and Lisa, Ladybug Ladybug), Diary of a Mad Housewife tells the story of Tina Balser (Carrie Snodgress, The Fury, Pale Rider) a frustrated housewife trapped in an unhappy marriage to an insufferably controlling, status-obsessed bore (Richard Benjamin, Catch-22). Tina seeks solace in a fling with an abusive lover, the arrogant writer Georg Prager (Frank Langella, Dracula), who treats her like a sex object, leading to therapy and further unhappiness.
A caustic deconstruction of male chauvinism, Diary of a Mad Housewife was a huge critical hit, earning its female lead an Academy Award nomination upon its release. The Perrys’ film is presented here in both its theatrical cut, and a long-unseen alternative TV version.
- Long unseen alternative TV version containing unique scenes, presented in Standard Definition, as originally broadcast
- Theatrical cut audio commentary with actor Rutanya Alda and film historian Lee Gambin (2022)
- TV version audio commentary with Frank Perry biographer Justin Bozung (2022)
- Video appreciation by Academy Award-winning editor and filmmaker Chris Innis (2022)
- Original theatrical trailer
- Larry Karaszewski trailer commentary (2020)
- Radio spot
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Paula Mejía, a profile of novelist Sue Kaufman, extracts from interviews with Frank Perry, Eleanor Perry and Carrie Snodgress, a look at Snodgress and Neil Young’s relationship, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits