Geronimo: An American Legend
Edition no. 220
Geronimo: An American Legend recounts the proud history of the famous Apache warrior who refused to accept the destruction of his people and, through his resistance and bravery, earned the respect of those he fought against.
Wes Studi (The Last of the Mohicans) gives a dignified central performance as the eponymous Native American hero and is ably supported by Gene Hackman (Cisco Pike), Jason Patric (The Lost Boys), Robert Duvall (Badge 373) and, in an early role, Matt Damon, who all play his adversaries in the US cavalry.
Unjustly neglected upon its original release, Geronimo benefits from John Milius and Larry Gross’s respectful, considered screenplay which is elevated by the epic sweep of Walter Hill’s direction. A visually stunning film that beautifully captures the vastness of the frontier landscape, Hill’s film is given extra poignancy by Ry Cooder’s moving score.
- Audio commentary with western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke (2021)
- Interview with musician and composer Ry Cooder (2021)
- Geronimo Goes to Hollywood (2021): Kim Newman, author of Wild West Movies, discusses the many film portrayals of the Apache warrior
- ‘Geronimo’ présenté par Bertrand Tavernier (2016): in-depth appreciation of the film by the legendary filmmaker
- Geronimo’s Last Raid (1912): new restoration of the early silent western classic, presented with an optional new score
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Omar Ahmed, diary extracts from screenwriter Larry Gross, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits